Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Flensburg here, anyone?

25 posts in this topic

Hey, just wondering if there is anybody on here who is familiar with Flensburg. Going to be here for awhile, would be very nice to get some insider information about this lovely city. First thing that comes to mind is, is there anywhere here to watch American football? Many others, but, basically trying to find someone who's familiar. Thanks, later -Thom

post-12006-12584642958084.jpg

Hi - I live near Flensburg. Don't know where to watch American football but I might know someone who does - I will ask. I can probably give you other info but could do with knowing what your interests are...

moonboot, i tried, there's nothing, basically. marton, cool, yeah at the moment i can't watch live sports streams through my pc, so i'm definitely wondering about football. Also, I'm wondering where there is an open mic in Flensburg, i.e. somewhere to play guitar and sing where others do the same. I went to an 'open mic' here a little while back, and it was just rap kids trying to rap over bad beats. Is there a jazz club in Flensburg?

I hope that the OP is aware that Flensburg is in the Far North up against the border to Denmark. Kilometers from anywhere. The ADAC routefinder says you are 1 hour 40 minutes drive from Hamburg...

Highlights seem to be:

• its beer Flensburger Pilsener, also called "Flens"
  • the large erotic mail-order companies Beate Uhse and Orion

If you are into sailing on the Baltic you should be OK. There is also an Aero-Club.

And don't forget the big computer that holds all German drivers license details and points..

HEM, are you serious? Really? I live here bud. Darkknight, yep Germans seem to be well aware of that.

Flensburg is not kilometers from anywhere. It is close to Denmark (3 kms), not that far from Sweden and Norway. You can easily catch a ferry from Esbjerg to the UK. When you think about it, it is central to a lot of places....

marton - right? To me, it's perfect. Except for the football situation. I mean you can get to Denmark on the Bus 1 if you feel like it for free (I've got a pass). I also though have to become better aware of places to travel around here, and the cheapest way to do it. Are there any towns/sights, in Germany or Denmark, that are close and well worth seeing? I'm also interested in live music - I'm sure there are many great ones in Hamburg, any others in cities in Schleswig-Holstein that are not to be missed? Basically, I'm interested in any inside information on cool things to do/see not far from here, from your opinions of this area.

You have the Schlei with Kappeln, Masholm and Arnis. Just to name a few places. And on the North side, Sylt, Föhr and St Peter-ording. And you have about 3 hours drive to Copenhagen and 3,5 hours to Malmö

I saw that there is a new American Restaurant opening in Flensburg. Perhaps they will play American football when they open. It is located close to where Großestrasse and Norderstrasse meet. It is by a Spanish Tapas restaurant, Rock N Roll bar and St. Marien Church. From google maps it looks like the address is Nordermarkt 3.

I am not a huge football fan but I will definitely be going here to get a little taste of home (hoping they get it right!).

I found this: American Diner- Burger, Pizza, BBQ

Europastr. 81

http://diner-flensburg.de

If this is really it, then I'm going up there this weekend to check it out! :D

The prices don't seem too terribly expensive either...found a few "negatives" in the "Gaestebuch" but want to try it out anyway.

Eckernfoerde has some pretty good concerts, depending on what you like. It's one of our favourite towns, well worth the drive (esp if you were heading to Kappeln anyway) :D

There's an American Football team in town, called the Sealords, I believe. I think they have a website - I have their card but I'm not sure where it is at the moment. Probably easy enough to come across with a bit of googling. Anyway, try shooting off an email to the people there and they'd be able to direct you to somewhere that'd show games.

I'm not really into football, personally (they handed me their card when they heard me speaking English, the only reason I know there's a team in town :P ), but I am into music and if you manage to find anywhere in town that does good live stuff/open mics, let me in on it!

EDIT: Nevermind.. just realized how old this is!

hello,

is there's any one know a hire job here in flensburg? im seeking a job here in flensburg anykind of job like housekeeping,babysitter,petsitter,cleaning in the house,cleaning in the restaurant or stores anykind of job. please let me know i hope you can help me here. i am from philippines but i live here in flensburg, i have been aupair/nanny 4 years it was in denmark and norway. i hope you can help me. have a nice day

best regards,

joan

Hi Joan,

The English Pub down near the harbor was looking about a month ago. If you speak German there are about 5 shops in the mall looking at the moment too.

Cheers,

Bonnie

We're in the process of moving to Flensburg (me, hubby, daughter, dog) and I've noticed that there seem to be a few, but not many, folks in Flensburg who go down to Kiel for the bi-weekly dinners. Anyone interested in starting an occasional small get-together in Flensburg, at Bones (American restaurant) or at McMelson's English Pub? Doesn't have to be huge; even a half-dozen people makes for a nice dinner and conversation.

I'm happy to organize it, just PM me if you're interested and we can put a group together.

Hi All, Just moved from Munich to Flensburg 6 weeks ago. The mild summer weather has eased the transition but before I fight the urge to hibernate away from my first experience with fall/winter in the north, it would be nice to meet some English-speakers --native or you just like to chat in English-- to curb my home-away-from-home sickness.

It has been nearly a year since techgirl posted for a small get-together in Flensburg. Perhaps a "nice dinner and conversation" rekindling could be started up again?

Cheers, Hezamarie

Hey Hezamarie,

I'm not in Flensburg, but I was a couple of years ago. I'd contact the international office at the university. They usually have information about internationals in Flensburg - not only students. Hope that's helpful.

-j

Hello all,

I am an Indian here and I moved from Darmstadt to Flensburg early this month. Would be staying here for quite some time.

I understand that there are not many English speaking people from Flensburg active in this forum. I would really like to meet some of you people here. Please let me know your plans and free time, I would be happy to join.

Thanks a lot in advance. :-)

Regards,

Naga