Seeking info on Rechtsschutzversicherung

56 posts in this topic

can you name the situation(s) where you wanted to use it? i know mine (DEURAG) changed their terms last year when I renewed and added my bf to it, that if we choose a lawyer they recommend, then we can forfeit the deductible.

I am covered by DAS and they have paid for the lawyer expenses whenever I have needed them without any fuss.

One time was that I got taken to court because of a review I wrote on the internet. This was not covered. More recently we could end up having trouble with a property purchase because the other party is not holding up their end of the deal. Again, not covered.

The first one I can understand - it's covered by a sort of "you should have known better" clause (which hit me once too), but could it be your second issue is because you don't have property purchase cover? That's a specific inclusion (for which I pay additional premium) on my insurance. Some insurances only pay to defend you from a third party claim, rather than pay you to initiate a claim against someone else.

I have one from Örag w/o any SB and while buying I took the effort to read their contract and Geschäfts-Bedingungen,it states in the following situations they will not pay:-

- I am at fault

- I have lied to them in telling the case details.

- There are no considerable chances of winning the case - If this is disputed, I can consult an independent lawyer who can tell if there are considerable chances of winning the case (incase I am going to sue anybody) whose opinion insurance will accept.

Don't know whether this has been mentioned in as many words but my former insurance broker in Heidelberg once told me that you can't get legal insurance for divorces (too long and inconclusive) or for disputes over contracts (same reason).

I'm self-employed and have an all-in policy for freelancers with the Alte Leipziger (formerly Union) in Munich. It covers: all private; traffic; flat, incl. as business premises; all criminal - as a victim, not a perp.!

I'm satisfied.

Well, onemark , ARAG offer legal insurance for divorces. The criteria: you have to be married :D , live in Germany and stay married for three years! Cover is for a mximum of 30,000 euros and is for the costs of lawyers and courts.

Of course you can get Vertragsrechtsschutz ( disputes over contracts )! If you have a dispute with a business supplying you with shoddy goods or with another insurance company re an insurance contract etc. There will always be some elements not covered with legal insurance - that´s why you should always read the terms and conditions before signing.

I am a professional independent insurance broker and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

well, johng.,

looks like my former broker was wrong. But that's OK.

I'm not married but I might have a look at the contract insurance, though.

Ta, mate.

Well, onemark..just make sure you don´t sign up for " divorce insurance " the night you fall in love again! ( Disclaimer: or maybe " doch! " ).

Take care, mate.

I am a professional independent insurance broker and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

More recently we could end up having trouble with a property purchase because the other party is not holding up their end of the deal.

Is that the sort of thing we would insure, though? I mean, I've bought several places over the years, both in the UK and here (indeed even had one built here and that can be clearly high risk). I've had buyers fall through and so on. The idea of insuring for it not running smoothly would have never crossed my mind.

I've said before that I don't like this insurance and this is one of the reasons. It encourages a litigious culture and excessive running to law imho (I don't mean the poster here). I've never needed to take legal action and neither has anyone sued me. Same thing with divorce, why insure against that, and what exactly? (Hint - I have never been married and ever intend to be ;) ).

Well, swimmer , I hope you´re like me--live and let live. I don´t like hassle in my life but that´s not the way it is. Some people like hassling others. I don´t but others...

I´ve been happily/unhappily married twice. Amicable end. Can laugh about it. My first ex-wife even paid for my MA studies! But others....

Basically, I can´t stand dwarfs in gardens..but their owners are the first to sue!

It seems that I may need insurance in the near future. Here is a summary:

I am Indian, married to a German since 2010 and we have two kids. I moved out recently and it seems that our marriage is headed towards divorce. The kids are small (1 and 3) and live with their mother. I want to spend time with my kids but I don't want my wife around because there has been too much bad blood between us and i'd rather take the kids to the park or swimming pool on my own. Last weekend I told her that I would pick up the kids and take them to the park and I told her I didn't want her to come. She said that she works all week (as I do) and doesn't see the kids enough and does not want to miss out on a few hours with them on the weekend. So she basically prevented me from seeing my kids without her presence.

I had assumed that our divorce would be a simple matter but it seems that it won't. In case we can't come to an agreement regarding custody I will take her to court.

I have read that in Germany it is possible to get insurance for lawyers fee. Can anybody recommend which type of insurance (I know it's Rechtsschutzversicherung but what specifically) I may need? Which company is both reliable and cheap?

Thank you for reading and any replies.

All Rechtschutzversicherungen have a waiting time before you can use them, usually 3 or 6 months and none cover you for an existing dispute, which arguably this is. Very few cover more than a simple initial legal consultation for marital disputes in any case and those that offer more comprehensive cover for a martial situation have at least a 3-year waiting time before you can use them to avoid precisely having to pay out in the situation your currently find yourself.

I am sorry about your personal troubles... especially as the children will certainly suffer from that. So sad.

Regarding your insurance question, though, I have to disappoint you: since you are already considering legal steps and the reason for this has already happened (i.e. you have separeted and are heading for divorce) there is no insurance that will cover this. It is the proverbial "no fire insurance if the house is already burning".

An insurance is only set up for a potential risk, not for a certain event where one would simply like to lighten the financial load by paying something to the insurance.

which is why in the case of divorces, the waiting period in a Rechtsschutzversicherung is usually up to 3 years

Ganz anders sieht es beim erweiterten Eherechtsschutz aus, der u.a. die Kosten abfedert, die im Zuge einer Scheidung entstehen. Hier beträgt die Wartezeit bis zu drei Jahre.

So, if you need to take this to the court, you'll have to pay for the lawyer yourself, I am afraid. Sorry about the bad news

Cheerio

I am a professional independent insurance broker, financial adviser, and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

Yes, I knew about the waiting time but I didn't know that my case won't be covered since the dispute has already begun. Now I know. Thanks.

BTW: given that there are a number of posts on TT about "sharing" copyright content, it seems that some/many/all Rechtsschutz contract exclude this although if you have been a long-time customer they may help you out of Kulanz.

Have you tried going for mediation on your issues with your local Jugendamt? It would take some time and commitment from you both but it'd certainly be cheaper than getting lawyers involved.

We're about to buy a site for a new build house. We have a "basic" insurance package with DEVK covering Beruf, Verkehr & Vertrag stuff. Anything specific we should add to it to cover the possible issues related to buying the site and building a house on it?