Which Lebkuchen are the best?

7 posts in this topic

I was wondering if any of you lovely folk might be willing to offer an opinion of which Lebkuchen are the best? Schmidt is the only mass-produced German brand that I have tried, and they are good, but I find that the chocolate is a bit waxy for my taste. I am having a Christmas party here in Scotland this year, and I was hoping to order some traditional Elisenlebkuchen. There is a very good German bakery in Edinburgh, but his lebkuchen are very expensive, and I have to feed about 20 people. Marks and Spencers, oddly enough, have some fantastic ones that are made especially for them in Germany, and seem like they are very traditional, but they are tiddly wee and I wanted some of the larger one this year.

I read elsewhere in this forum that Haeberlein-Metzger are good. Any others that top the list? What about Reimann?

Cheers,

joharo the beecharming boy

The best Lebkuchen comes from the local bakers shop, but you'd generally have to go there personally to buy them. That's where I buy mine and so beyond Schmidt, I'm not sure what brands are out there or which are available in the UK.

Why not go away from the chocolate-covered ones and serve the ones with the sugar glaze? And/or you could add Stollen to pad out the Lebkuchen.

(I have to admit to loving Aldi's Braune Lebkuchen (moist moist moist) and Stollenkonfekt, though, so you may decide my palate is beyond the pale...)

Turn your "charms" to baking it fresh. Other than truly freshly baked, I think they all should go the way of the fruitcake.

Thanks for your answers, folks...

But none of you have actually told me which brands may be good.

Of course, Crusoe, I would opt for the glazed ones if I can't find proper chocolate covered ones, and I was hoping for an assortment anyhow.

I don't think I'll ae any problems buying them online, if I can just get a suggestion or two as to which BRAND to buy.

Thanks,

joharo

PS--Eurovol--great idea, but I am having about 30 people over, and I've already got a three day cooking plan laid out--I just can't take any more time off work to make lebkuchen, and besides, I'm a great cook, but everything I have ever baked has been a huge disappointment. I am becoming well-known in my social circle for my fabulous parties--I don't want to risk my reputation with sad cookies.

Fraunholz is my personal favorite. They have a store in the old city and in Johannis. http://www.fraunholz-lebkuchen.de/.