Seeking other Pittsburghers living in Germany

21 posts in this topic

Hey...just trying to see how many other Pittsburghers there are living here in the Fatherland. I'm from Greenfield/SQ Hill area area originally. Rogers and Allderdice Grad.

Been in Munich now for 13 years...was love that brought me and kept me here.

How about you?

Philadelphian ... so might as well be from the other side of the continent.

hey jodessa, i wasn't raised in PGH, but I was born there and my dad's whole family was born and raised (incl) my dad. He grew up in Shadyside and we had a couple of mugs at home with "Pittsburghese" writing on them. We used to go to Pixberg three or four times a year as a kid to visit my grandmother, and I have mostly fond memories of the place. My dad would be happy to know I am communicating with another Pittsburgher. There are no Steelers bars in Hamburg-- what about in Munich? :)

no Steeler bars here either. Have only met one other Yinzer here in Munich. We actually went to high school together! Give it up for Shady Side!! Have fun in Hamburg.

I moved to Mt. Lebanon when I was 9 and stayed until college. However, an uniformly terrible HS experience left me with an urge to get as far away from that place as possible (hence Germany??). My family still lives there, and I go visit 1-2 times per year. When the Steelers were in the Superbowl last year, I made a party at my place with typical Superbowl food. Only the other Americans truly appreciated nachos, little knackers in BBQ sauce, and hotwings. The Germans found the food terrible, and the game boring. Meh...you can lead a horse to water...

Born in the North Hills, raised in Mars. Lived in Shady Side when I was a resident at UPMC Shady Side. Been here about a year.

Damn shame the Bucos fell apart, glad Big Ben has figured out where to keep Little Ben, and Crosby needs to heal. Was at the Clarks 2000th show last Christmas, and Donnie Iris is the best musician in the world. snuck into the Decade for the last night blow-out concert...and my baby brother was born Super Bowl Sunday, 1979. To say I bleed Black and Gold is an under-statement. HERE WE GO!!!

I have a SlingBox setup with NFL Sunday Ticket, NHL Center Ice and MLB Extra Innings. And I'm Jonsing for a Cold Iron.

Spent a night there last week, enjoyed the morning traffic jam on the way to my meeting, had some time to kill on the way back to the airport so drove through Oakland, tried to take a walk at the Point, but before I could find a parking space some one-way street funneled me into a tunnel out, and with the afternoon traffic, there was no way I was going to go back. Did a mall crawl instead and bought goodies for the kids.

What little I saw gave me the impression it is a nice city. Will probably try to set aside a little more time the next time I get to go now that I've figured out it can be more convenient to go through PIT rather than use the icky turboprop that flies between JST and IAD.

I'm not originally from Pgh, but moved there in 1996 for graduate school and ended up staying for about 15 years--until I moved to Munich. Also lived in the Greenfield area. Went back in January for a week to visit friends... Lots of memories!

Jut saw this. Two Greenfielders, how fun!

I just got back from visiting and fell in love all over with the Burgh. Great place and forever changing while at the same time, remaining stagnant as hell. Hope you're enjoying your time here. Maybe we can catch a Steelers game sometime!

We are new to Frankfurt and spent 5+ years living in Pittsburgh with Bayer in Robinson Twp area. We miss the Burg terribly and would move back in a heartbeat! My son's middle name is Steel ;) Hubby follows the Pirates and as long as the Pens/Steelers aren't play the Caps or Redskins we are a united house. I miss my Pens season tickets. I moved around growing up and Pittsburgh was the first place I really connected with and would consider for a long term home. I miss the Strip and Peppi's subs. Spent 2 years going to CCAC and working nights at Allegheny General.

Hey there! Steel. I absolutely love it!

My buddy just got her first tattoo...PGH city skyline. Maybe the only tattoo I would ever consider for myself.

Hope you guys have a good stay in Frankfurt.

Technically not from Pittburgh or from USA. But I have worked for 3 years in Pittsburgh for the Mellon Bank, downtown. I have loved the Steelers football (and still do) and miss the calm as well as fun city atmosphere. Lived in Greentree and would ofter visit my friends in Shadyside. The Winch that takes you to the top view of the city from the "mini mountain" (I prefer calling it that way) right besides the river is an amazing sight.