Christmas 2010 soup kitchen for the homeless

70 posts in this topic

KKK, I don't know! I only ever did one once in the UK.

It might be easier from a logistics point of view to find an existing soup kitchen and arrange a working day there.

you could give the Tatendrang guys a call see if they need help with anything over the Xmas period:

http://www.tatendrang.de/kontakt.html

It might be easier from a logistics point of view to find an existing soup kitchen and arrange a working day there.

It could be done I think...church hall perhaps? Not just soup either...we could get people (well not real people - TTers) to donate anything that would be good for winter that would otherwise either go into one of the big clothes recycling bin or in that pile of stuff to sell at the flea market.

Maybe do it at a Public place where they have proper wash/shower facilities...

Donations of Shoes, Clothes and coats etc would be a great Idea...

Now, Someone needs to Grasp this nettle... Dont just talk about it... Do it! Lets try an give these less fortunate a christmas that they might just enjoy!

I am sure ALL of on here have 20€ they could "loose" to this cause!

Even Flapdoll!

Jokes aside, my German is slightly rubbish. If a better speaker (i.w. Sarabyrd) can contact the soup kitchen and arrange something for a Saturday in December then any willing TT volunteers can help out.

My name is first on the list:

1. BE2009 +1

1. BE2009 +1

2. Piggie!

3. katekatekoala

My Deutsch is scheisslich, but I'll ask my au pair mom about soup kitchens etc and maybe drop by one today to arrange something. We're taking the kidlets to Murnau this morning to see the St. Leo-something-or-others farmers parade and then I'll have the rest of the day off. If anyone can do some magic Googling while I'm gone and find some more links to soup kitchens/shelters I'll be happy to check them out when I come back.

I would like to help out to organise something. I won't be here on xmas eve but will be here until the 17th and would help until then.

On Christmas Eve, I won't be here, I'll be in Melbourne, but here are some ideas of how folk can help.

The Barmherzigen Schwestern run a soup kitchen on Saturdays and Sundays and last year a group of Daniel Küblböck fans (I kid you not) collected goodie bags with warm clothing, chocolate and the like for distribution by the soup kitchen. As they have done it before, they may well be worth contacting this year. Might be nice to connect it to the Christmas party and gather the stuff into a parked van at the venue?

There's also the traditional use of the Hofbräuhaus which also needs helpers, whether as decorators or as bouncers.

Münchener Tafel will also take food donations, which might be good for the bakers.

There's also the SZ Adventskalender which takes donations, they do some great stuff.

Better Place can also be a good way to find such events.

And there's the Christmas in a shoebox campaign, which is kinda fun.

Will look for more. Some of these events have a religious background which some posters may object to, just as a warning.

I won't be here over Christmas, but if there's other ways to help, I'm all ears.

Aside from food and donated clothing, I can give another idea that comes from my father. For the past 20 years, a few days before every Christmas, he announces and goes to the local homeless shelter, and sets up a small portrait studio and takes pictures for people and/or their families (usually dressed nicely). They can then send the pictures to their friends and family, or otherwise keep. It gives the homeless a chance to send a neat gift of their own and claim a piece of dignity during the holidays. He pays for all film stock and developing costs, and gives the negatives and prints away (no future books to be made from this volunteer activity).

It's pretty popular, and he takes a few hundred portraits per year. It's a nice idea, if anyone's willing to donate it. Just a thought.

This is a great idea, any takers for Hamburg I would love to help out. Any one know where to look for something similar??

Any takers in Düsseldorf? I would be interested!

Edit: I really dont have money or clothing to donate, but I have time and lots of it! ;)

For the Future customers of BAVSAT here on TT, I will gladly accept cash donations to put into the funds and also will take soups etc for the cause!!

SP.

i do but i wont be around for the 20 days before xmas so i cant really do anything else....

how are you going to take donations, SP?

For the Future customers of BAVSAT here on TT, I will gladly accept cash donations to put into the funds and also will take soups etc for the cause!!

SP.

I may not be here at the time this is planned for as I may be going home to SA for Christmas, but I would be happy to make a donation to support this...I will sign up if plans to go home fall through though.

Are there even any homeless people in Munich? I mean, you go to the people in charge, you say you don't have any work or an apartment, and they'll give you one as well as a few hundred euro every month.