Australian to German driver's licence conversion

355 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,

Question to those of you with Dual-Citizenship and those with a motorcycle licence. I have a dutch passport so can live and work here in Germany. I have lived my whole life in Australia and only recently moved here and looking to convert my licence. A few things are still a little unclear to me even from the discussions above and I hope someone can clarify for me:

1) I am here on my Dutch Passport. Someone said above that because you are registered here on the EU passport you must show this when getting the licence converted. It seems then there is the complicated matter of showing you were residing in Australia while using this licence - I assume it is to show you were actively using it there. Can you just show your Australian Passport? Or does this just complicate things? I guess I can try to dig up registration papers for my car, I just don't have them with me. Most of these things are in storage back in Oz.

2) I have both car and motorcycle licence (Licence Class C, R on NSW licence). Does the motorcycle licence get automatically converted also

3) This handing in of the Australian licence seems very extreme and really odd. I will be travelling back to oz regularly as I all my family are there, so not having it with me would be a pain in the arse. It seems a strange work around to get a replacement card. Can they actually do that? has anyone actually spoken to the Australian Embassy about this? 

Hi rayvdz,

Regarding no 3, it seems different people have had different experiences. For others, their Oz license was not returned, but I did receive mine back. I simply asked to keep mine -- I did not give a reason. I'd suggest that you explain that you will be travelling there soon.

For no. 2, I can't give you any feedback yet, but I expect my new German license to arrive very soon, so hopefully I can give advice then. My understanding is that the Oz class R should be transferred to the German license, but when I asked the Bürgeramt employee, he didn't know.

1 hour ago, rayvdz said:

Hi Everyone,

Question to those of you with Dual-Citizenship and those with a motorcycle licence. I have a dutch passport so can live and work here in Germany. I have lived my whole life in Australia and only recently moved here and looking to convert my licence. A few things are still a little unclear to me even from the discussions above and I hope someone can clarify for me:

1) I am here on my Dutch Passport. Someone said above that because you are registered here on the EU passport you must show this when getting the licence converted. It seems then there is the complicated matter of showing you were residing in Australia while using this licence - I assume it is to show you were actively using it there. Can you just show your Australian Passport? Or does this just complicate things? I guess I can try to dig up registration papers for my car, I just don't have them with me. Most of these things are in storage back in Oz.

2) I have both car and motorcycle licence (Licence Class C, R on NSW licence). Does the motorcycle licence get automatically converted also

3) This handing in of the Australian licence seems very extreme and really odd. I will be travelling back to oz regularly as I all my family are there, so not having it with me would be a pain in the arse. It seems a strange work around to get a replacement card. Can they actually do that? has anyone actually spoken to the Australian Embassy about this? 

1) Why do you think you need to show them you were living in Australia? 

2)

https://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/fev_2010/anlage_11.html

C and R are convertible

3) It's not odd at all. It's normally not a good idea to let people have 2 driver's licenses. But they are allowed to let you keep it if you have a good reason. The reasons are not specified so it's mostly up to the employee handling your license. If they take it and you travel to Australia, you use your German license (and possibly an International Driver's Permit) like all the people with a German license who travel to Australia.

Hi there,

I just wanted to say thanks for all the tips and for sharing your experiences in this thread. I wanted to share mine too. I just applied to convert my NSW license to a German one in Cologne. At first they told me the same thing that I have to give up my Australian license when I get my German one, even though I explained that I travel back and forth and need my Australian license for ID purposes in Australia. Also I have to suddenly fly back and if I didn't apply for my Geman one before I'd be outside of the 6 month period by the time I got back... so after, getting the ADAC to translate my license (55EUR) and doing a sight test which was not the usual ABC version like in the RTA (in an optica with a hardcore test where you have to say what o'clock the gap the tiny circles are facing) (6,50EUR), I returned to the Bezirksampt and they said I could pay and extra 9EUR to get my license back in 1 week rather than the usual 3 weeks AND after I pleaded them to double check the rules of having to hand in your Australian license, they looked it up in their 'users manual' and it states clearly there that it's not necessary to give up your license AT ALL!!! Cost including the 9EUR fast tracker at the Bezirksampt was 44,75EUR. Also, they were questioning about the fact that our license has no date when it was taken but I just explained that my license is a 10 year duration and they could easily calculate the start date from taking 10 years off the end date. They can check the RTA site to see our licenses are either 10 or 5 years or so if you want to be extra thorough and save yourself a hassle.  So moral to the story, most of the people are a bit stuck in the 'usual protocols' and are a bit lazy to budge and check it out... so ask them nicely if they could double check the rules in their little book and you'll save yourself the hassle and the money getting a replacement license when you're back in Australia.  Hope this helps.

Hi Ravdz... I also have dual citizenship Australian + Dutch passport... register with Dutch passport and don't mention it when you apply for the license until you have to show your ID... then use your Dutch passport for that. See my above post about not having to hand in the Australian license. IT'S NOT NECESSARY! Hope this helps everyone. :-)

On 8/14/2018, 10:44:19, rayvdz said:

<snip>

So, I finally have more information on this, but first, be aware that this can be an extremely slow process. I applied to have my Australian license converted in early June... I *just* received my new German license, 8 months later!

Regarding 2 above: They did *not* convert my motorcycle class. I don't know why, but I would make sure that you ask for this when applying. I did not request that specifically, unfortunately.

Regarding question 3: When I applied, they gave my Australian license back, but when I picked up my German license, they kept it an refused to return it to me.

10 minutes ago, Frau B said:

Also, they were questioning about the fact that our license has no date when it was taken but I just explained that my license is a 10 year duration and they could easily calculate the start date from taking 10 years off the end date. They can check the RTA site to see our licenses are either 10 or 5 years or so if you want to be extra thorough and save yourself a hassle. 

I ran into this also. When I applied, I explained that Oz licenses are good for 5 years, and they accepted that. But then, 6 months later, I got a notice in the mail that they could not convert the license until I supplied proof. I downloaded a driver history report from the RTA and provided that, and they accepted it. So, I would suggest that you submit this at the beginning.

On 10.6.2012, 22:46:19, lizzyy said:

Well after a painful couple of months of running back and forth between the Fahrerlaubnisbehörde and the RTA in Australia, I finally have a brand new German driver's licence :)

Just a couple of points that may help others in NSW:

They will ask for a Ausstellungsdatum of your licence (ie. issue date of your first licence) to obtain your driving experience.

I simply provided this in writing, as they asked, then they wrote back again later telling me they want it as an official letter from the RTA.

When you call the RTA, most of the time they will tell you the only possibility to pay $20 for a driving record, but there is a "Request for Information" form on their website where you can order specific information. This is what I did and they faxed over me a letter with just the information I needed.

Also in the Fahrerlaubnisbehörde you can now also book appointments so no more waiting around all day to pick up your licence :)

Thanks for the info. Did you apply for the information from the RTA by email and if so did oyu have to ask them to specifically fax it back or would they have emailed it back? I have been waiting now 5 months. In thIe initial interview where they ask for all of the documents atc I thought it was already all through. Now 5 months later they ask for the date of issue as an official letter. So am trying to get this infor ASAP. What I don#t get is that the local Bezirksamt Burgeramt who processed my application did not aks for this or my eye sight test (which I had but as he never asked, I dod not hand it over). I don't know what the point was of the initial appointment if they don't ask for everything needed. Anyway thanks for any tops as to the RTA info. 

Mine took 7 months. :-(

I would advise everyone reading this to not rely on what is asked for during your initial interview. I was also not asked for proof of when I first obtained my license, so like others above, I did not provide it. Then, I received a letter 5 months later asking for it, which delayed the entire process. I think the reason that they don't ask for it is that it seems to be a little unusual that the Australian dl does not include this information. Just bring all of the documents that are specified in the official list, and also a driver's history document from the RTA (just download if from the RTA site -- I'd just pay the $20 to make sure you get the proper document), and hand them all over.

The thing to keep in mind is that although the stereotype is true that Germany loves beurocracy, it is NOT efficient. It always seems chaotic to me. Be prepared -- know what is required, and don't expect to be correctly advised during your first interview.

3 hours ago, MrMiles said:

I would advise everyone reading this to not rely on what is asked for during your initial interview. I was also not asked for proof of when I first obtained my license, so like others above, I did not provide it. Then, I received a letter 5 months later asking for it, which delayed the entire process. I think the reason that they don't ask for it is that it seems to be a little unusual that the Australian dl does not include this information. Just bring all of the documents that are specified in the official list, and also a driver's history document from the RTA (just download if from the RTA site -- I'd just pay the $20 to make sure you get the proper document), and hand them all over.

The thing to keep in mind is that although the stereotype is true that Germany loves beurocracy, it is NOT efficient. It always seems chaotic to me. Be prepared -- know what is required, and don't expect to be correctly advised during your first interview.

On 10.6.2012, 22:46:19, lizzyy said:

Well after a painful couple of months of running back and forth between the Fahrerlaubnisbehörde and the RTA in Australia, I finally have a brand new German driver's licence :)

Just a couple of points that may help others in NSW:

They will ask for a Ausstellungsdatum of your licence (ie. issue date of your first licence) to obtain your driving experience.

I simply provided this in writing, as they asked, then they wrote back again later telling me they want it as an official letter from the RTA.

When you call the RTA, most of the time they will tell you the only possibility to pay $20 for a driving record, but there is a "Request for Information" form on their website where you can order specific information. This is what I did and they faxed over me a letter with just the information I needed.

Also in the Fahrerlaubnisbehörde you can now also book appointments so no more waiting around all day to pick up your licence :)

I also now downloaded my driving record only to discover that 30 years I got a listing of negligent driving - yet at the time I was not even in Australia or driving anywhere in the world in the year before, that year of after. seems someone got my data and misued it. So I am reluctant to show this to the German Authority, even though I did not loose points or so. I never had an accident or even a sppeding fine or parking ticket in Aust.  Really strange.

11 hours ago, MrMiles said:

They have now, after 5 months only asked for the date of issue of my current licence - NOT of my first ever Australian licence - I check it by called them and asking them to specify. So can you tell me which one it is because I am now trying to just get a document that shows the former. But if it means waiting months for a letter asking for the latter then better to know now. It seems that it is a rather arbitrary process after all.

Unfortunately the process is a joke and you're experience will depend almost entirely on which bureaucrat you meet on the day. When I transferred mine they wanted the date of issue of my first ever Australian licence. The reason given was that if you were registered as living in Germany at the time you were granted your licence it would not be recognized. My experience was that every appointment they would request a different document or ask me to meet another requirement; it can be a long road to accomplish a minor bureaucratic task. 

12 hours ago, Steinberg said:

They have now, after 5 months only asked for the date of issue of my current licence - NOT of my first ever Australian licence - I check it by called them and asking them to specify. So can you tell me which one it is because I am now trying to just get a document that shows the former. But if it means waiting months for a letter asking for the latter then better to know now. It seems that it is a rather arbitrary process after all.

In my case, they wanted the date of the first license. That is what was on the document I provided, and they excepted it. I don't know where you'd get information on the issue date of your current license.

On 17.4.2019, 21:57:03, Auswanderer said:

Unfortunately the process is a joke and you're experience will depend almost entirely on which bureaucrat you meet on the day. When I transferred mine they wanted the date of issue of my first ever Australian licence. The reason given was that if you were registered as living in Germany at the time you were granted your licence it would not be recognized. My experience was that every appointment they would request a different document or ask me to meet another requirement; it can be a long road to accomplish a minor bureaucratic task. 

Thanks for your input. I only met one Beamter at the Burgeramt who took all the documents and processed it all and took the fee. He then said ti would take 2 months. But, now from another office ( I take it it all goes to one central place where they "complete" it) I got the request. Makes you wonder what the point of the first interview was after all. 

On 30.6.2014, 14:04:27, Gill_from_oz said:

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to add my experience to the list.

My licence was issued in VIC and my Fahrerlaubnisbehörde is in Frankfurt, so your situation may be different. I speak fluent German, so if you don't, I recommend bringing a friend who does.

What I organised beforehand:

- Letter from VicRoads stating the Date of First Issue. This is not on Victorian licences. You need it so that they know you are not a beginner driver and therefore you get all the privileges a full German licence allows.

- Translation of Licence and above mentioned VicRoads letter by ADAC

- New passport photos

- Photocopy of Licence

- Passport

- Führerschein Umschreiben (licence conversion) Form, filled out and signed

I also brought the following things to make the process easier (although they are in theory not required)

- Print out of the =4970058"]info from their website and Anlage 11 with relevant parts highlighted: this was in case anyone wanted to tell me I had to take a test etc, I actually had to use it at the first, information desk.

- My Anmeldung and Ummeldung papers - if these are older than 3 months you will need to pay a fee (8€) for them to get them recently printed or something. I brought my old ones just to prove that I am properly registered here anyway.

Please note the following:

- No eye test needed for VIC licences, unless over 50 y.o.

- NON-AU CITIZENS: I have dual citizenship with AU and Italy and as such am registered in Germany as an Italian citizen. Because of this I had to prove that I lived in Australia at the time of my Licence Issue Date. Difficult to do as I never had a visa etc to live in Aust! I was able to show my university transcript which coincides with that date (which I luckily had on hand). IF THIS SITUATION APPLIES TO YOU, try to find some proof like a gas bill or student records etc.

- I have lived in Germany for over 4 years. This was not an issue. Obviously I lost the right to drive here on my Australian licence a long time ago, but this DOES NOT affect your right to convert to a German licence - it can evidently be done whenever.

For the very nervous amongst you (I was once), here's a quick summary of how it will go down once you decide to head to the Fahrerlaubnisbehörde:

- It's easy to get to (bus stop is not far and they have space for parking and locking up bikes). Yes the area is a bit dodge but just follow the signs and you'll find it.

- Go in the main doors and head to the big Information desk directly in front of you. There'll be a counter/queue marked "Führerschein". Line up there. The person at this desk will have a quick look through your docs to make sure you've got stuff and then will give you a ticket with a number.

- Go sit down and wait. Watch the monitors for your number. When called, head to the respective desk.

- Hand over your papers. Sign stuff. They'll give you a plastic card which you take to the Kasse Automats, insert, and pay the required fees in cash or with your EC card (these automats have an English option if you need it). The machine then spits out two receipts.

- Go back to your buddy at their desk, give them their copy of the receipt of payment. And you're done. You'll have to go back to the Behörde once you get a letter in the post telling you your new licence is ready. This is when you'll have to relinquish the Australian licence (*sob*).

The woman I dealt with was really friendly and helpful. When I mentioned this she said was happy that I had been so organised. So it's much better to go in with everything sorted, rather than whinging about everything you have to organise and pay for.

One last note: the mobile phone signal in the building is RUBBISH. Bring a book for while you wait.

I have just received a letter, aftersome 7 months of waiting, that I can come to collect my German license but it states that I am invited to a come and speak with them about the issuing of the license. Is this the standard way of stating come and collect it or is there yet another hurdle to get over? Will they try to ask some trick questions about something, like my favourite colour or underwear preferences? and yes, the whole thing makes one a little nervous...