Australian to German driver's licence conversion

354 posts in this topic

Hello there,

I'm in the same boat, but it seems there is no quick (or easy) answer. From what I have heard Australians can't simply "exchange" their license to a german one. The same goes for international drivers licenses. I think we have to start from scratch like a teenager ... driving schools, tests, etc. etc. etc.

Please correct me if I'm wrong!

Correction:

You need to take the theory test and the practical test again, but no enforced driving pratice training hours. That will cost you around €600, but it would be considerably more with the practice hours.

You can drive on your Australian licence for 6 months upon moving here before it's no longer considered valid. You then have to do exchange it within 2 or 3 years (not sure which) or face having to start from scratch with the practice driving hours too.

Why do you ask if you think the info is wrong? Why not save me the typing and go and ask there in the first place? My info was accurate as of October 2004.

If you are able to spend some time in UK you can exchange your Aus licence for a British one that will be good for all EU states.

I second the info from Showem having done it myself. There's no ways out - believe me - unless your drivers licence by some curious mishap doesnt say New South Wales or Victoria etc etc but rather South Korea, Iceland, South Africa or a handful of other countries where they think you are a competent enough driver (if that's really their logic) The ADAC has a heap of info - probably also online.

And just to add something else: If you don't convert it within a certain period of time (maybe 1and a half or 2 years - can't remember) you have to start again from scratch as if you never had a drivers licence. If you get pulled over after the 1st 6 months with an Austr. driv. lic. and residence permit more then 6 months long, you're then in trouble. Not very nice really. But unfortunately has to be done. The UK idea in this thread sounds good though.

has anyobody ever had the experience for Australian drivers license exchange to german one? is it possible? any link or website for lookup?

thanks a lot

Topics merged by admin

Like some other people have said above, you can swap it for a UK license. I did this when I was living in the UK. If you know anyone over there, you can use their address and just swap it over.

Has anyone who got the UK licence take the next step of "registering" it here? I got mine a while back but never anything about registering it in Germany.

Also has anyone had the experience of changing names (getting married) but can't change the English licence because they don't live there now? I am thinking of buying a car, and can just imagine how much fun the insurance companies will have with this.

I've never heard you that you have a register a UK license. Anyone know if this is the case?

Dear All

I went through the ordeal of changing an Australian licence to a German licence. These are the steps:

1. Translate the Australian licence by an official translator.

2. Take the translation plus your licence to the ADAC, to obtain a "recognition" , which is basically a letter which ADAC will post to you.

3. Take the Recognition Letter to the town hall. They will then confirm it.

4. Go to a local drivers school with paperwork from Town hall. They will enrol you in a first aid course which is basically a full weekend attendance workshop.

5. Once you have completed first aid course, go back to drivers school with proof that you completed first aid course and ask them for the dates/times to sit the theory exam.

6. Study for theory exam and sit when ready.

7. Once you pass theory exam ( they will give you slip of paper on the spot confirming passed or not), go back to drivers school and book a practical exam. If you want, book a few drivers licence in advance so as to freshen up on the driving over here, and to receive tips.

8. Sit practical exam. If pass, the school will send confirmation to TÜV which will in turn send to Town hall.

9. Go to Town hall and exchange your Australian licence for your German licence. Take passport photo with you for the German licence.

They keep your Australian licence.

Good luck.

ps there is no shortcut to this, other than perhaps getting a UK licence which is valid in Germany, however to get he UK licence you need a registered postal address in the UK.

I'm still on my Aussie license (been here 2 months) but as a way of avoiding all the hassles of changing it to a German one, I am going to use a friends address in the UK and change it there. All you have to do is fill in a form, attach a photo, and send it away (with your Aus license and passport) and they send you a UK one. Then,you can drive anywhere in the EU. If this strategy is flawed, please someone let me know.

I can't see any flaws in your strategy. I was living in the UK, so I was using my own address, but the procedure is just as you explained it.

Much easier that what Trudie had to go through!

I know someone who did that successfully. He needed to get the form from a post office in the uk, fill it out and send it with the Aus licence. He also needed to pay in £ so needed someone to write a uk cheque for him.

Thanks for the great info, everyone. I managed to order the form D1 online from www.dvla.gov.uk and it just arrived in my mail. The cost (to me) of getting the form to my doorstep from the UK to Deutschland - 0. Pretty cool, eh?

Does anyone know how I could prove my identity if I was to send the form direct to DVLA in Swansea (through a friend in England first, of course)? Cheers!