How to complete a monthly MwSt return using Elster

40 posts in this topic

Hi,

I mentioned on a thread once that I wrote these instructions, but never posted it up. So here it is. Hopefully, if you are negotiating this type of thing with bad German skills for the first time (like I was) then you will not have quite the same headache I had.

These instructions are for the Elstar on-line system. First of all, you need to create a profile on there and give details of your Steuernummer etc. Once you have done that, then just follow these instructions:

Formulare > Umsatzsteuer > Umsatzsteuer-Voranmeldung

1. Tick Steuernummer aus Profil verwenden

2. In Voranmeldungszeitraum select the Zeitraum period

3. Tick the box marked keine Mitwirkung to say that you have had no help with making the tax submission and then click Nächste Seite.

4. Click Nächste Seite again to skip past page 3.

5. On page 4, enter the net amount of earnings (your income) without tax in the field marked zum Steuersatz von 19% (and/or the zum Steuersatz von 7% field).

In the box below you should see a calculated figure for the MwSt you owe appear. Check it is correct with your records. Click on Nächste Seite

6. Skip to page 9 by clicking Nächste Seite each time.

7. Fill in the total MwSt that you paid (your outgoings) in field 66 and click Nächste Seite.

8. Page 10 then provides a summary calculation of what you owe. Check this with your own calculations. It is possible to make amendments here manually, but if your maths is correct then just keep Automatische Berechnung ticked and click on Nächste Seite.

9. Now click on Auswahlseite to go back to the main page.

10. To submit the return, click on Fertigstellen and then enter your PIN when prompted.

That's it.

One thing to remember though is in your first year of registration you will be required to do this each month (you have until the 10th of the following month to complete a return). However, after the first year, the Finanzamt will probably write to you and tell you that from then on you just need to do this quarterly.

Oh, remember to keep the receipts that are e-mailed to you after you complete a return (download the PDF and keep it safe), because your Steuerarbeiter will ask for this when you complete your tax return for that year.

Good luck.

Dave

That's a lovely guide, cat. http://www.toytowngermany.com/wiki/ELSTER also has a complete description, but it's longer. Can't be edited now though as the Wiki's being upgraded.

Oops! I swear that I did use the search before I posted that (somebody PM'd me earlier requesting it, which prompted my action).

Perhaps I didn't find it because I was spelling Elster wrong. Anyway, Admins, perhaps bolt mine on to the bottom of the other post if you think it is useful.

D.

Finally got my tax number and notice that I must do this monthly now for my Gewerberbe.

https://www.elsteronline.de/eportal/eop/auth/RegistrierungSoft-PSE_Zertifikatsart.tax

But if I only have a Gewerbe then which should I register for? Persönliches Zertifikat or

Nicht-persönliches Zertifikat?

I figure it must be Persönliches Zertifikat even though the words Umsatzsteuer-Voranmeldung are on the

Nicht-persönliches Zertifikat.

Can anyone confirm this for me?

Persönliches Zertifikat

Hier können Sie die Registrierung unter Angabe Ihrer persönlichen Steuernummer vornehmen. Sie benötigen dazu die Steuernummer mit der Sie auch Ihre persönliche Einkommensteuererklärung beim Finanzamt abgeben.

Nicht-persönliches Zertifikat (Organisationszertifikat)

Hier können Sie eine Registrierung für eine Organisation (Firma, Gesellschaft, Verein, Institution, etc.) durchführen. Sie benötigen dazu die Steuernummer unter der beispielsweise die Umsatzsteuer-Voranmeldung oder die Lohnsteuer-Anmeldung beim Finanzamt eingereicht wird sowie Ihre steuerlichen Unterlagen.

Thanks and have a great day

Hi trainspotter. I chose the first option when I registered. I am a freelance IT consultant. It sounds like we have similar circumstances so that would probably work for you I think.

Do you have a tax consultant? I know a good one that I can put you in touch with who may be a ble to help you.

Best,

D

Thanks the_Cat. Much appreciated. I thought it was that one but was not sure.

I actually work with a number of tax consultants, but they are always busy. And I am going to engage one of them in a couple of months who is doing her final exams now. I know the basics for the Gewerbe for the next few months and then will get her to help me out. If this does not work out though I will ask you straight away.

This might be a ridiculous question...Form is filled and fertiggestellt...But how do you actually pay the sum? Trying to find details on the elster site but there's too many composite words for me to think straight any more!

It's taken from your bank account directly once the return has been processed (at least mine is anyway).

Only because at one point in time you have:

- given them your account details and

- agreed to a Lastschrifteinzugsverfahren (pdf).

Usually for the monthly Mwst return, you have to transfer the money yourself instantly. You have to find out the relevant Finanzamt (the one that wrote you a letter, telling you to do a monthly Mwst return) and it´s account details (you´ll find that on the bottom of that letter).

[adminmerge][/adminmerge]

hi & questions to the tax experts ...

I have been managing to do my quarterly MwSt submissions online, but, somehow now I cant find the correct link that works for me now. the complication being I have a mac and the elster system is for windows, I managed there for a while using a conversion program - BUT - I noticed last time there was an option to register somehow to do it online in a way without having to download the forms to my computer ... however now I cant find it - my German is not great, and my closer German freinds are allergic to tax systems so cant help me!

so tips welcomed, preferably with link ...

thanks!

If you want to use ElsterOnline, you would first have to register here for Elster-Basis, which is just a software certificate saved on your computer.

However, I suggest you first check the operating system/browser requirements here.

With a Mac system you would need at least Mac OS X 10.6 (they no longer guarantee it will work under 10.5) and Safari 5.1.

some extra help here, in addition to all the (very) helpful tips in the above posts, I have an addiitonal question

I have no-EU income, that is therefore not subject to MwSt, which field do I insert that amount?

I think it is point 45? can someone give me the correct advice?!

thankyou!

I have a question, and I hope someone can help me with this.

I have been working and living in Germany as a freelancer since the start of 2009. To date I have not filed any taxes, but I plan on doing all my taxes this month.

In 2011 I worked for about 6 weeks, as a part-time employee, while at the same time still freelancing. During that short period, I earned about €1,300 euros NET. Now that I want to do my taxes, how do I go about accounting for that bit of income in 2011? I would like to file my taxes as a freelancer.

I have searched TT, but most of the information is about switching from freelancer to employee, or vice versa, or about having a mini job etc.

Can anyone help?

some extra help here, in addition to all the (very) helpful tips in the above posts, which have helped me so far with my EU income.

However, I have an additional question

I have non-EU income, that is therefore not subject to MwSt, which field do I insert that amount?

I think it is point 45? can someone give me the correct advice?!

thankyou for any clarifying!