Any IT experts out there? Home WIFI problems

106 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, SpiderPig said:

They would be wasting their time...  I have offered free help in the past with satellite...   was turned down...

My GroßHändler is not far from her and I travel that way regularly... 

Horses and water and all that...

I thanked you for your offer to help regarding the satellite problem we had years ago.  At that time, it was simply a case of a local recommended repairer being able to resolve the problem very quickly.  I have also thanked you and everyone else for any technical advice here on Toytown.  I know that many TT’ers praise you highly and say that you are a wonderful person IRL.  I don’t doubt that at all though I do feel intimidated by your online persona. 

Jesus...

Yes, she can plug directly into your router (a free LAN port) with the cable you posted and will have better speed than on your WiFi.

3 hours ago, emkay said:

I’ve just read some of the last posts here and even more baffled. Please excuse absolute no clue! In brief, we need better WiFi for home study.  We have Vodafone DSL with a FRITZ!Box 7530 and 3 Devolos around the house.  Our wifi is still terrible.  Recently, a technical person said it’s because we have underfloor heating and large metal bannister/stairs so we’d need Devolos (or similar).  He then declined to assist further when we said we already had Devolos. 

As I really don’t understand, would wifi be better with a different router to replace the FRITZ!Box? Is the Fritz mesh repeater mentioned above better than Devolos...is it a replacement? When my husband phoned Vodafone, they just said he needs to ungrade DSL speed though I don’t think that’s true?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.  

Repeaters are normally crap for nowadays standards because most of them will reduce the speed to half.   A better solution is a MESH system, where every node is like a clone of the master node and the client will choose the nearest one with the best connection.

The good news is that according to the manufacturer your Fritz!box 7530 can act as a Mesh node and it can be the Mesh master.  Everything you need is at least another Fritz! device that can act as a Mesh node.

https://avm.de/service/fritzbox/fritzbox-7530/wissensdatenbank/publication/show/3361_Welche-FRITZ-Produkte-unterstutzen-Mesh/

1 hour ago, Krieg said:

Repeaters are normally crap for nowadays standards because most of them will reduce the speed to half.   A better solution is a MESH system, where every node is like a clone of the master node and the client will choose the nearest one with the best connection.

The good news is that according to the manufacturer your Fritz!box 7530 can act as a Mesh node and it can be the Mesh master.  Everything you need is at least another Fritz! device that can act as a Mesh node.

https://avm.de/service/fritzbox/fritzbox-7530/wissensdatenbank/publication/show/3361_Welche-FRITZ-Produkte-unterstutzen-Mesh/

We have mesh...

Main fritzbox cable where the net comes in, this is meshed to the old fritz DSL router via wi-lan and to one of those little boxes that connects vis the electric cables in the house.

I'd say it all works ok but as we live in an area where the odd plane of helicopter flies over (some frequencies of 5ghz band are reserved for radar) the box will shunt everyone to the 2.4 band for 10 minutes or so.

This is apparently EU law, there is info on the net if anyone is interested to read more about it.

This caused me trouble as I had named the 5 and 2.4 bands differently and the fritzbox can only seamlessly switch the connection if they have the same name. If they are named different then you get a disconnect and re-connect thing going on. 

I see how often this happen as I have a VPN on my mobile and the wi-lan signal also shows which band it is using. SO I get to see how often that little number changes.

Other than that, mesh works and the fritzbox is way better than the router thing that came from our ISP. 

On 01/03/2021, 07:58:31, emkay said:

I’ve just read some of the last posts here and even more baffled. Please excuse absolute no clue! In brief, we need better WiFi for home study.  We have Vodafone DSL with a FRITZ!Box 7530 and 3 Devolos around the house.  Our wifi is still terrible.  Recently, a technical person said it’s because we have underfloor heating and large metal bannister/stairs so we’d need Devolos (or similar).  He then declined to assist further when we said we already had Devolos. 

As I really don’t understand, would wifi be better with a different router to replace the FRITZ!Box? Is the Fritz mesh repeater mentioned above better than Devolos...is it a replacement? When my husband phoned Vodafone, they just said he needs to ungrade DSL speed though I don’t think that’s true?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.  

Thanks again for all advice.  Just in case this helps anyone else...I bumbled my way through calls to Vodafone and to AVM (FRITZ!Box manufacturer).  Vodafone’s response was along the lines on ‘BWOH-EH, you must live in a bunker’ when describing underfloor  heating and steel staircase.  Their advice was firstly to change to cable.  We can’t, too long to explain why. Then, upgrade to a higher level Fritz!Box for double monthly rental, and buy some boosters...no brand recommendations suggested. 

AVM’s customer support was very good...quick contact and very happy to explain to the clueless. No, no FRITZ!Box upgrade necessary as the 7530 is perfectly suitable.  They advised we buy these mesh repeaters and that they will definitely work or else return them.  https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07XCRYSDT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Work brilliantly, no WiFi issues since.

On 3/1/2021, 1:35:41, yesterday said:

You need to reduce the size of the pictures so you can upload then on this site

@emkay Or you can post twice.  Post your first picture (as you did) and then post the second picture as a new posting.