Any IT experts out there? Home WIFI problems

106 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, emkay said:

 Cable throughout wouldn’t be possible. Sorry, that’s probably a really stupid question!

no need to appologise...

 

secondly.. how do you know that its not possible to get new cables pulled in?   Are you an electrician?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, emkay said:

Regarding  dedicated cable...is it possible to have a cable in just one room where the main computer and FRITZ!box are (centre of house)? The rest of the house on WiFi?  Cable throughout wouldn’t be possible. Sorry, that’s probably a really stupid question!

That is how mine is set up, Wired in my 'home office' and then wifi in the rest of the apartment. No question is stupid, we all have to learn.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Cheekyfox said:

That is how mine is set up, Wired in my 'home office' and then wifi in the rest of the apartment. No question is stupid, we all have to learn.

 

 

Correct and for a single floor apartment, thats probably the best solution.... but if I recall correctly Emkay is in a large house with knackered air-com, a Merc with a steamed up headlight and loads of LadyBirds and some cat in poor health... 

 

Each situation is different and needs different appraisal... 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

no need to appologise...

 

secondly.. how do you know that its not possible to get new cables pulled in?   Are you an electrician?

I’m not though my husband was about 100 years ago! He just said we couldn’t do anything involving putting in new cables.  

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SpiderPig said:

 

 

Correct and for a single floor apartment, thats probably the best solution... but if I recall correctly Emkay is in a large house with knackered air-com, a Merc with a steamed up headlight and loads of LadyBirds and some cat in poor health... 

 

Each situation is different and needs different appraisal... 

You forgot to add ‘Batty old woman’ with loads of cats and orchids!

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got these 2 reports from an analyser app...

 

In room where FRITZ!box is...

9BB05BEC-EAEF-4D3C-A09D-28DAB708DD35.png

 

next to Devolo downstairs...

 

Cant add photo though reports : Ping 6, download 12 and upload 10

 

 

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, emkay said:

I’m not though my husband was about 100 years ago! He just said we couldn’t do anything involving putting in new cables.  

 

Typical blinkered attitude...

 

I have 2 clients where I have routed the internet over a 2 pair telephone cable....    

 

Your hubby is probably  a "Das darf du nicht"  type of guy....  My condolences!

 

 

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In ref to your Test...

 

What did you expect??  

 

If you put shit in... you get shit out!   

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

 

Typical blinkered attitude...

 

I have 2 clients where I have routed the internet over a 2 pair telephone cable...    

 

Your hubby is probably  a "Das darf du nicht"  type of guy...  My condolences!

 

More to do with just needing a simple solution initially as daughter’s uni have confirmed definitely no ,Presence Studium‘ until at least June. Also cost is an issue as we’ve been heavily hit by short working and my husband being off ill for the last few months. If just one room could be cabled (room contains main iMac, FRITZ!box and telephone sockets), that might be a good solution.  Is the above Fritzbox Image speed test a reasonable speed?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, emkay said:

Just got these 2 reports from an analyser app...

 

In room where FRITZ!box is...

9BB05BEC-EAEF-4D3C-A09D-28DAB708DD35.png

 

next to Devolo downstairs...

 

Cant add photo though reports : Ping 6, download 12 and upload 10

 

 

 

 

There is not enough info to determine anything there

You need to reduce the size of the pictures so you can upload then on this site, most picture editing tools have this feature. Although not paint

 

You need to do the site survey in the same place where you get WIFI_ problems, otherwise we cannot hekp

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have my router connected direct to a 5 port hub and my work laptop, home laptop and printer connected (mit kabel). This is plenty good enough for work use.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@yesterday

She has already had the best advice ever!!     It was free...   if she actually reads it and understands it...   she could be up and running in less than 20 minutes...

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you all for your advice especially those who kindly understood my chronic lack of understanding!  My husband has just returned from a routine doc visit and now faced with another unexpected serious health issue. I’ll have to put this on the back burner for now.  Thanks again.  

5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, emkay said:

Thank you all for your advice especially those who kindly understood my chronic lack of understanding!  My husband has just returned from a routine doc visit and now faced with another unexpected serious health issue. I’ll have to put this on the back burner for now.  Thanks again.  

 

Sorry to hear that emkay.  I'm lucky enough to have a daughter and a son-in-law involved in IT, so I'm able to hand problems over to them, when I have them.

 

Stay strong and I hope things start getting better for you all again soon.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone on TT have a spare helicopter they can fly SP into emkay's back lawn with?

Wishing you all strength and courage, emkay.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pennies slowly dropping! Before I totally give up for now... So, if we attach a LAN cable into the spare LAN socket on the FRITZ!Box, my daughter could directly connect with her MacBook? She can’t really use our iMac as it’s ancient, slow and has none of her study material in it.  If plugged in, what kind of configuration is necessary? iMac has the FRITZ!box set-up programs on it.  Would this cable work...just found it in a big box of stuff....

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pennies slowly dropping! Before I totally give up for now... So, if we attach a LAN cable into the spare LAN socket on the FRITZ!Box, my daughter could directly connect with her MacBook? She can’t really use our iMac as it’s ancient, slow and has none of her study material in it.  If plugged in, what kind of configuration is necessary? iMac has the FRITZ!box set-up programs on it.  Would this cable work...just found it in a big box of stuff...


 

AF8DD2DF-8503-478A-B876-83A05724BD6E.jpeg

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, optimista said:

Does anyone on TT have a spare helicopter they can fly SP into emkay's back lawn with?

Wishing you all strength and courage, emkay.

 

They would be wasting their time...  I have offered free help in the past with satellite...   was turned down....

 

My GroßHändler is not far from her and I travel that way regularly... 

 

Horses and water and all that...

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Cheekyfox said:

That is how mine is set up, Wired in my 'home office' and then wifi in the rest of the apartment.

 

Similar here.  Many years ago (in the days of ISDN or maybe very early DSL) we wired our house with CAT5 Ethernet cable (that was what was available back then).

A router in the lounge (where the original telephone cable from outside appeared) and Ethernet cable to the loft where we have a switch which cascades down to the rooms on the first floor.  We certainly had to bore a few holes in ceiling & in one room cut a hole in plasterboard to get cable passed down - but new wallpaper was planned anyway.

 

At one stage we had 3 PCs plus one Unix workstation for my work attached via Ethernet.  Laptops & Smartphones via WLAN.

 

Then in 2017 with Telekom threatening to replace DSL by IP we replaced the old router by a Fritz!Box 7430 router.

Currently 2 desktop PCs are connected by cable & everything else via WLAN.   Seems to work for us.

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now