Any IT experts out there? Home WIFI problems

106 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, dom said:

Hi all, I am with vodafone (unitymedia) and have a connect box connect to cable for internet.

With home office being the norm for me (thanks to corona) I am having the (usual) problems with wifi.

My router is on the ground floor, my pc on 1st floor. My house is pretty open so that wifi signal should not be disturbed too much by obstacles.

Anyway, can someone give me a solution on how to resolve wifi issues? Is for example, a powerline adapter the best way forward?

Recommendations, incl. which makes/models to buy would be highly appreciated!

I had similar issues and my wife is now working 100% from home with plenty of Zoom meetings every day so she couldn't afford bad WiFi.    Our solution was to upgrade to a Mesh system, there are plenty of solutions around, from different prices.    In your case two nodes should solve the issues, you put one as the main one connected to the modem and you put the second one upstairs.    The best scenario would be to send a network cable from the first one to the second one, but if that's not possible the speeds should be still OK.     In our case we can sustain from 20 to 40 MB/s upstairs, that's close to up to 500 mbs, which is very decent for WiFi.

I don't recommend you repeaters because they normally cut the speed in half.   Mesh is the way in my opinion.

Like I wrote him, the repeater that he did get from Vodafone is a mesh repeater. I'm just not sure if it's configured correctly.

A 2nd might not be a bad idea. Or reposition the thing.

Had similar issues in our house. Here my solutions:

Wifi APP showed many nearby wifi access points. (Even neighbours from across the garden). Used the admin page on the Fritzbox to permanently choose a free channel.

Need to check this every once in a while

2 Powerline connectors from Fritz (or 2 from Telekom) worked for a while. There were some days when they also needed a reset. Ran this solution for a year before moving to mesh repeaters. The resets would take time and not everyone in the family could do this...

Mesh worked for a while, but at the moment we've renamed one repeater and choose the best wifi strength manually. (The SSID is named with upstairs/downstairs)

Really, best solution is a flying cable, but I can't get it past the interior architect dept.

Just don't trip over it. 

3 hours ago, BobbyDigital said:

Just looked up that Fritzbox (gag), the specs on it look pretty good. Are you able to log into  the admin interface? 

They probably have it set up with the same Network name for both 2.4 and 5GHz, I would rename your 5GHz, just put a -5G on the end of it. That way you can see and control which one you are connected to.

It's true that both of you could (probably are) having channel congestion, if you live in a Mehrfamilienhaus. If you can change the name of your networks, you should be able to change channels.

Do keep in mind that the 2.5GHz has better range, but not nearly as much throughput. I would suggest putting devices on that network that don't need the speed. For example, I have my PS4 and TV on the 5GHz, and smartphones/devices on the 2.4.

I have no experience with Fritzbox's mesh network, so I unfortunately can't add much to that.

Thanks for the info.  I can log into the admin interface and will give it a go later.  Although not in a Mehrfamilienhaus, we have teenagers and a lot of different devices accessing the wifi. The router is on the ground floor and travels up to our bedroom ok, but doesn't travel as reliably to the other side of the ground floor, which is where I have my corona home office.  Husband is in the dining room and that works better.  I will try and follow your advice and let you know how I get on.  Thanks!!

4 hours ago, BobbyDigital said:

It's true that both of you could (probably are) having channel congestion, if you live in a Mehrfamilienhaus. If you can change the name of your networks, you should be able to change channels.

All good stuff! My impression is that Fritz gadgets work best when a fritzbox is the router -which I dont have, so I will take your advice and see what can be optimised.

Thanks! Will post back here...

14 hours ago, HH_Sailor said:

Wifi APP showed many nearby wifi access points. (Even neighbours from across the garden). Used the admin page on the Fritzbox to permanently choose a free channel.

How did you do that?

Need to check this every once in a while

and that?

We have a Fritz Box 7430 router with Telekom as provider.

We wired the house many years ago with CAT5 Ethernet cable for the PC desktops (& back then a Sun Workstation).

Smartphones & Laptops use WiFi.

4 hours ago, HEM said:

How did you do that?

and that?

We wired the house many years ago with CAT5 Ethernet cable for the PC desktops (& back then a Sun Workstation).

I personally use an app called "Wifi Analyzer" (on Android). It will show you all the channels in use and recommend a better one, if needed.

To change it, you'll need to login to your wifi router and you should be able to change channels under the Wireless section of the admin interface.

16 hours ago, dom said:

All good stuff! My impression is that Fritz gadgets work best when a fritzbox is the router -which I dont have, so I will take your advice and see what can be optimised.

Thanks! Will post back here...

Ah, yeah I'm under the same impression.

Feel free to send me a PM, or just write here what router you do have, I should be able to google it, if I'm not familiar with it and help you more.

5 hours ago, HEM said:

How did you do that?

and that?

On my 7590 Fritz, I choose the menus as follows: 

WLAN, Funkkanal(Channels), 

Here there is the choice of automatic/manual.

When manual, pick a channel not in use (or not overcrowded).

I too use the Android app WiFi Analyser to show the current channel usage.

Regular check ? - I simply start the WIfi Analyser App every week...

So I had a bit of a play, and now have separated the 2.4 and 5 GHz.  I had tried to do this before but chickened out as I was worried I would muck everything up.  I am not very computer savvy but my husband is even less so, so I google a lot for solutions.  It is working a bit better and I have also moved the cordless phone, and that seems to have helped.  The repeater is set up for mesh but is probably not in the best position - we are lacking electricity sockets in the middle of the house.  We want to do some renovation on the ground floor so I am seriously considering getting some wired solutions, especially for the home PC and our work laptops.  Thanks for the help here!

On 9/24/2020, 9:18:52, BobbyDigital said:

I personally use an app called "Wifi Analyzer" (on Android).

Could you be more specific about which app you use? (There are several with that name).
Thanks!

I’ve just read some of the last posts here and even more baffled. Please excuse absolute no clue! In brief, we need better WiFi for home study.  We have Vodafone DSL with a FRITZ!Box 7530 and 3 Devolos around the house.  Our wifi is still terrible.  Recently, a technical person said it’s because we have underfloor heating and large metal bannister/stairs so we’d need Devolos (or similar).  He then declined to assist further when we said we already had Devolos. 

As I really don’t understand, would wifi be better with a different router to replace the FRITZ!Box? Is the Fritz mesh repeater mentioned above better than Devolos...is it a replacement? When my husband phoned Vodafone, they just said he needs to ungrade DSL speed though I don’t think that’s true?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.  

Have you done as suggested above, ie use a Wifi Analyser App to check the signal strength and also channel usage. My Wifi in the living room started acting up in january (buffering every five minutes), checked with the App and found that the neighbour upstairs has a new smart TV and it was using the same channel as I had set. So back to my router and set up on a different channel - problem solved. Now I can waste even more time on You tube ;-)

Side Note: I also used an app like this when I did a Wifi Survey on board a hospital ship it gave a good indication as to the black spots in coverage. 

Correct placement of the wireless repeaters is the answer, usually...  

If there is network cables or the possibillity to install network cables, do so and add a dedicated access point...  ( I have done this for several clients with great sucsess!)

2 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

Correct placement of the wireless repeaters is the answer, usually...  

Need to identify the black spots first then seek to place the repeaters in the correct places.

Almost...

I compare the problem to 3 or 4 court room stenographers trying to type the lyrics and the different bah da dees  to this song...

Multiple repeater crossing and swopping ip addresses causes huge issues... even the newish "Mesh system is fraught with problems... 

But as always.. poeple seek info after they have already handed out a load of dosh for stuff that aint suitable... 

Thank you so far...

Just looking for an iOS WiFi analyser...any suggestions on that?

Regarding  dedicated cable...is it possible to have a cable in just one room where the main computer and FRITZ!box are (centre of house)? The rest of the house on WiFi?  Cable throughout wouldn’t be possible. Sorry, that’s probably a really stupid question!