Any IT experts out there? Home WIFI problems

106 posts in this topic

I decided to come to my usually reliable source of info for random German issues...

After my fiance are thoroughly frustrated with Vodafone customer service after almost a month, perhaps someone here has some helpful advice. We have three laptops (U.S.). We ordered wifi from Vodafone and received their Easybox 602 router. Connected everything as instructed and laptop #1 was successfully connected...great. However, when laptop #2 is also connected, laptop #1 is 'disconnects.' - So, the goal is having all 'three' laptops connected at the same time.

I have done some Googling and found that it "could" be the wrong router...or that all three laptops are using the same IP address...or to switch a few settings, etc, etc, but nothing seems to work. After about oh, seven attempts at Vodafone's customer service each with a different set of instructions we have gotten nowhere. The last rep said our box was defective and they would send out a new one. - Of course the new one had the exact same problem. Finally, they promised to send someone to the house and after waiting half the day, we finally get a human on the phone only to tell us they never had us scheduled!? UGH!!

So, for all you IT experts out there, any constructive advice to get this problems resolved. I know it's not that difficult of a thing...I'll pay!!

Thanks

(At least getting the rant out helped a bit)

Definitely could be the IP address.

Check that the DHCP server is enabled on the router and that each of the laptops takes its IP address from the server.

Duplicate IP addresses will definately have the effect you described

Please let us know what IP addresses your computers and the router are using. The Difficultbox 602 should run on 192.168.2.1 by default, so your computers should have something like 192.168.2.10 for the first one, 192.168.2.11 for the second one, and 192.168.2.12 for the third one - one IP for each device in your network.

Be sure to set the same subnet mask everywhere (usually 255.255.255.0) and add for the Gateway and DNS server on each notebook the router's IP address (192.168.2.1).

Are the other notebooks able to connect to the router at all, is the WLAN stuff set correctly (usually WPA2 encryption)? You have to enter the encryption key of the router in each notebook.

If a 2nd laptop disconnects the 1st then its not an IP issue (As DHCP is almost always on by default).

It sounds like the OP installed the Vodafone software on all 3 Laptops.

The prob. being is that the software, prob sets-up its own PPPOE tunnel to the ISP, and as a normal standard only 1 PPPOE tunnel is

normally allowed. Thus the 1st Laptops connection drops when the 2nd laptop tries to establish a 2nd PPPOE session.

1. Remove the Vodafone software from all 3 Laptops.

2. Configure the router with your logon details.

The router should be the only device establishing PPPOE sessions. It opens 1 session and shares

it with all connected devices. Basically, what you have is a configuration problem.Try reading

the installation instruction again.

The prob. being is that the software, prob sets-up its own PPPOE tunnel to the ISP, and as a normal standard only 1 PPPOE tunnel is

normally allowed. Thus the 1st Laptops connection drops when the 2nd laptop tries to establish a 2nd PPPOE session.

Good catch, Darkknight, that one he ought to check first indeed.

Best advice? Always buy your own router and never use the wankhouse software provided by the ISP.

Also, regardless of how good people may say they are, don't ever buy a bloody "fritzbox", because it is called a fritzbox. Never trust a company that names a product a fritzbox. Yuk yuk yuk yuk yukkity yukkity yuk. I mean seriously, did marketing sit down and actually fucking choose that name? Fritzbox? Really? The mind boggles. Fritzbox. Sounds like the name for an underground cellar room where you imprison your daughter.

So apart from the name of the device, whats ACTUALLY wrong with it? There not #1 in the EU DSL world fro nothing.

If they were so bad then companies like Deutsche Telekom, wouldn't OEM Some of their kit from AVM (The actual company name).

So apart from the name of the device, whats ACTUALLY wrong with it?

Who the fuck cares. It is called a FRITZBOX. Would you buy a car called a "wankstain"? No. You wouldn't. Would you go into a crowded bar, and order a beer called "gayboy sperm"? No.

Fritzbox....

*shudder*

That name clearly has a special meaning to don riina.

To me it say's that.. it is a...er.. BOX! proudly built by Fritz himself! All hail Fritz! ... For he is mighty! WTF.

FYI, according to my Webster's:

"on the fritz" = "not in working order"

"to fritz out" = "to become inoperable"

The above is confirmed by dict.cc

"to be on the fritz" = "kaputt sein, kurz vorm Abklappen sein"

"to go on the fritz" = "kaputtgehen"

This must all mean something or other...

I think your problem is that you have put your username and password (for your internet supplier) into each laptop instead of putting them into the router.

Save your money. Just hook up a laptop to the router and enter your username and password into it. Then delete them from the laptops and it should work.

As you mentioned they were US laptops, there is another potential issue you should be aware of although it's almost certainly not the one you're having right now and that is that the WiFi channels use in the US differ from the ones in Germany. What can happen is that, if your US laptops are configured to work in the states with US WiFi settings, the German router may choose a channel that the laptops cannot see. I have had this problem twice with colleagues' PCs that worked quite happily for months until the router decided to channel hop to a channel their laptops couldn't use. The trick is either to change the WiFi setting on the PC to Europe (not always possible without a driver reinstall) or manually set the channel on the router to one that is common to both Europe and the US (I think anything below 10 is ok, off the top off my head)

Tim.

Would you go into a crowded bar, and order a beer called "gayboy sperm"?

Thanks Don. Now I've got this little ditty banging around in my brain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q54LJ5RsqRw&feature=PlayList&p=2B04F38B26F6640D&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=9

Bastard.

is that the WiFi channels use in the US differ from the ones in Germany

Close, but no cigar..

Wifi Channels are the same world wide (Hence why its an unlicensed Radio band).

The Wifi spec for 802.11B and G is the same There are a total of 14 channels available.

From those 14 channels, various countries/regions can use any number of them they want.

In the US they use channels 1-11 in the EU they use 1-13. Only Japan uses all 14 channels.

Almost every wireless device sold in the EU will use channel 1, 5, 9 as they are the channels

with no overlap (US uses 1,6 and 11). As you can see a US laptop can easily see/access EU

channel space.

Since most modern OS's don't care about the channel # as they constantly scan the entire range

even a US laptop can be used in EU land.

In the US they use channels 1-11 in the EU they use 1-13. Only Japan uses all 14 channels.

...so when your European router hops to channel 12 or 13 your US laptop can't see it, which is exactly the problem I described.

Thanks, but I don't smoke cigars ;-)

Tim.

Tim, you'll realise pretty quickly that DarkKnight is "special" so please don't be too hard on him. Thanks.