Berlin ranks among top global cities

189 posts in this topic

QS Best Student Cities 2017

Germany has been growing steadily in popularity as a study abroad destination, and its capital city is also on the climb – rising three positions to rank 6th in the QS Best Student Cities 2017.

Having flourished into one of the world’s coolest urban hubs – a major center of design, fashion, music and art to rival even New York or London – Berlin offers both unbeatable culture and a hot financial market, making it as perfect for history buffs and art aficionados as it is for budding financiers.

And to sweeten the deal even further, all undergraduate degrees (and some postgraduate programs) are free at public universities in Germany, even for international students.

While the German capital is not an academic hub on the scale of cities like London, Paris or Boston, three universities in Berlin feature in the QS World University Rankings® 2016-2017. The highest-ranked of these is Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin at joint 121st in the world, closely followed by Freie Universität Berlin at joint 123rd.

Berlin’s growing appeal as an international study destination is also due in part to greater provision of courses in English, particularly at postgraduate level. With a high quality of living, affordable costs, a liberal atmosphere and a happening party and music scene, the German capital has a huge amount to offer international students of all backgrounds and interests.

1: Montreal
2: Paris
3: London
4: Seoul
5: Melbourne
6: Berlin
7: Tokyo
8: Boston
9: Munich
10: Vancouver

Mapping the World’s Knowledge Hubs
Citylab - Richard Florida

1. Los Angeles    

California Institute of Technology (2), UCLA (14), University of Southern California (60), University of California, Irvine (98)    4

2. London    
Imperial College London (8), University College London (15), London School of Economics and Political Science (25), King’s College (36)    4

3. Hong Kong    
University of Hong Kong (43), Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (49), Chinese University of Hong Kong (76)    3

4. Boston-Cambridge
MIT (5), Harvard (6), Boston University (64)    3

5. Berlin
Humboldt University (57), Free University of Berlin (75), Technical University of Berlin (82)    3

Who gives a toss, I live where I live, I like it here and with every survey comes another survey that says something different. Who's this information for? Is it actually usefull to the vast majority of people? I mean are we all going to move to a city with the best night life, send out kids to the city with the best universities and then move to a city that has the best elderly care when we reach pensionable age? No.

Someone needs to get a life.

13 hours ago, fraufruit said:

I'm curious. How many other people have this clown on ignore?

I never see any replies to his bullshit.

Surely I can`t be the only one who finds his posts relatively amusing.

11 hours ago, fraufruit said:

If Shakespeare even wrote those plays but that's another topic entirely.

Shakespeare is real. That's just another conspiracy theory by couch detectives.

5 minutes ago, desdemona said:

Shakespeare is real. That's just another conspiracy theory by couch detectives.

He was apparently real, but did he really write ALL those plays attributed to him ? Some of the theories around this are really quite interesting.

Oh! May I borrow the book to read?

I can trade you an Indian cookbook or something else. :)

Not that I'm aware of. All my books are stored in Adobe Digital Editions and registered for my reader and my name. That's how they prevent sharing.

On 2/16/2017, 8:33:46, fraufruit said:

I'm curious. How many other people have this clown on ignore?

I never see any replies to his bullshit.

On 2/16/2017, 9:15:54, fraufruit said:

This idiot started with Berlin being the sex Mecca of the world if memory serves. I've had him on ignore for ages.

Buahahahaha yeah I noticed his Berlin sex thread.  Methinks he may have a hidden agenda for recruitment.  But then again it's kind of funny to see him go on and on like a broken record with nobody caring.

The 10 Best Party Cities To Visit When You’re Broke And Paying Student Loans
Elite Daily

1. Berlin, Germany

Berlin has long been known as a city filled with artists and musicians. Therefore, it should come as no surprise it has a carefree attitude toward partying — not to mention booze that fits the budget of a starving artist.

Berlin is home to a wide range of epic bars and nightclubs that keep the party going well past sunrise.

Plus, you can also find warehouse parties, rock venues and underground techno clubs that will have you raging harder than ever before. Just make sure you bring your dancing shoes and prepare to be hungover AF during the daylight hours.

giphy.gif

I am really baffled by his threads...they are years and years old and seem to simply be a personal link bunker for the op - and half those links are connected back to the  thread itself?  

I think this could go into the "flummoxed" topic for me.  but it's just not interesting enough to get flummoxed over it :)