Berlin ranks among top global cities

189 posts in this topic

In the 20 years since the demolition of the Berlin Wall, street artists have been steadily invading the city's easterly districts, particularly the neighbourhoods of Mitte, Kreuzberg, and Friedrichshain where the longest-remaining piece of the wall still stands. Look for striking stenciled figures from artists Alias and Xoooox and the signature, spray-painted shaking fists of native Berliner Kripoe.

Top 10 cities for street art

World's Top 5 cities for Love and Sex and Backpacking

Quote: "Forget Amsterdam, this place is Europe's true center of anything goes liberalism. There is something in the air or the water in Berlin which makes it a truly special city - it is the home of true Bohemia. It is like the one place in Germany where all the people fed up with the uptightness, repression, suppression, and rules of German society go and live. It is truly a live and let live city - if you want to do something, and it is not harming you or anyone else - then just do it already, is the ethos."

Thanks for pointing that out. Is there also a bohemia in Berlin for grown-ups?

I'm not convinced about this myself. Berlin's no "cycling mecca" from what I can see. I never see see that many cyclists in Berlin compared to most most other German towns, particularly the student-dominated ones in the west. The harsh truth for the cycling-lobby is most people will prefer public transport or their own car given the choice nowadays - and they do have the choice of the former in Berlin, of course, like in London etc too.

I'd say the number of people in Berlin using a bike routinely is tiny - doing 10 or 20k a day to their work / clients or to see their mates, for example, as is normal in many other parts of Germany.

Also too many big arterial roads do not help. I think a lot of big cities are just inherently not cyclist-friendly for that reason.

It's higher than you think:

Der Anteil des Radverkehrs an den in der Stadt zurückgelegten Wegen soll bis 2010 um die Hälfte gesteigert werden (von 10 auf 15 Prozent). Dies entspricht einer jährlichen Zunahme des Radverkehrs um 100.000 Wege am Tag.

http://www.stadtentwicklung.berlin.de/verkehr/politik_planung/rad/strategie/de/ziele_leitlinien.shtml

In comparison, NYC used to have 100,000 cyclists per day 10 years ago, now it's 185,000 - but for a population of 8.3 million... so a lot lower than Berlin. Also, Munich is about 14% now - so within Berlin's 10-15%: http://www.nationaler-radverkehrsplan.de/neuigkeiten/news.php?id=2855

in some news from the stadtentwicklung it was ~ 13% (remember, it's all extrapolated) and around 20 % for the inner city (s-bahn circle), really good for a city with more than 3 mio inhabitants. though amsterdam and kopenhagen are of course the main bike cities (with around 30%!)

Is there also a bohemia in Berlin for grown-ups?

I guess the new AbsinthBar at the Admiralspalast has the potential

to become a decent Bohemia spot for the 30plus generation...

Neue Bar im Admiralspalast

Affordable and cultured, Berlin ranks 7th

in the Top29 best cities to live in (for men)

Quote:Berlin is famous for its surplus of young, single women who are attracted to the city’s vast creative sector and quality of life: Think multicultural, young, sexy, creative types. There are tons of places to meet people, some of which you’ve probably never experienced before like at a spa, for example. Mixed nude spas and saunas are standard in this liberal city.

Berlin is healthy: Locals munch organic food, love yoga and Pilates, and go to the gym to keep in shape. Berliners live on two wheels, cycling everywhere down wide bike lanes. Berlin is one of the greenest cities in Europe with many parks, forests and lakes within the city limits. The imposing Olympic Stadium hosts soccer team Hertha and countless sporting events. Berlin’s ice hockey and basketball teams dominate nationally.

Rents are low compared to the rest of Europe. It’s easy to find a roomy apartment -- double the size of a London flat at half the price -- in which to entertain your friends and lovers. Dozens of cinemas with movies in English, concert halls, world-class museums, and a vibrant experimental stage scene provide endless ways to impress dates. Culture is the driving force of the local economy: Berlin has become Europe’s hot spot for contemporary art with festivals and fairs, and the Berlinale Festival is one of the global film industry’s crucial get-togethers. Berlin has transformed into a major hub for music, media, publishing, fashion, design, and research. Finally, Berlin is synonymous with freedom: You can drink beer on the street, and you can take your Pilsner anywhere, including the movies! In a nutshell: great women, great beer -- you’ll never be bored!

The Wallpaper Design Award 2010 is listing Berlin among Best Cities

Great City Short Video

Laid-back, inexpensive and at the cutting edge of the creative and music scenes, Berlin is a key loci of international design. And, 20 years after the fall of the Wall, the city is as hedonistic as ever. Here curator Carson Chan, architects Wolfram Putz and Lars Krückeberg of Graft and artist Sissel Tolaas discuss how Berlin's unfinished narrative makes the city all the more welcoming to newcomers.

I know my city kicks ass and rocks (and its people like me helping it do so)... sure we have problems like our stupid only-aroud-for-photo-ops-and/or-party Mayor's decision within the same month of cutting already dwindling education funding and spending 4.5 million on sand blasting and asthetic rennovations to the Siegessaule (or maybe he confused it with the magagzine :D )

I wonder how our transit system now ranks... I used to rank it one of the best Ive ever experienced... and Ive experienced many locations, but in the last year and half (not too long after a portion of company is now private sector and change in top management) the service is noticeably down... I am aware there is a political game being played out between DB and BVG and VVB top executive management... just cant believe how the egos of these people to prove a point (spite) are frustrating and disrupting service of passengers... Still, even a bit crappier... its still a well tuned machine.

Top 10 art and architecture destinations - Hindustan Times

4. Berlin, Germany

Over the last 20 years, Berlin has emerged as one of the biggest art venues in Europe with an impressive selection of new architecture, exhibits and art galleries. But even with its new art scene, Berlin will always have strong ties to the past, which can be seen at one of the 17 Berlin State Museums that are divided into five clusters. Museumsinsel (Museum Island), a complex of five museums, is the largest in Europe, and is comprised of the Altes Museum, Neues Museum, Alte Nationalgalerie, Bode Museum, and Pergamon Museum, which were all built on the site of the original city settlement. The museums' collections range from Roman and Greek Classical Antiquities, to 19th century sculptures and paintings, to prehistory and early history.

Welcome to Berlin, Europe’s new capital

Financial Times

Berlin does not feel like an imperial city. The new government buildings – the chancellor’s office, the Bundestag and the foreign ministry – have all been designed with plenty of glass and natural light, to emphasise transparency and democracy. The finance ministry is, admittedly, housed in the old headquarters of the Luftwaffe. But most of the grandest architecture – Unter den Linden and the Brandenburg gate – is a legacy of the Prussian kings. Modern Berlin presents a more welcoming face, and has become a magnet for tourists and teenagers.

Yet while the German capital has deliberately eschewed the trappings of imperial power, the fact is that Berlin is increasingly the de facto capital of the EU. Of course the EU’s main institutions – the commission and the council – are still based in Brussels. But the key decisions are increasingly made in Berlin.

The problem – if there is a problem – is that life is too sweet in Berlin. Germany is prosperous and Berlin is a pleasant and fashionable city. The struggles of Greece or Spain seem a very long way away. That detachment from the rest of the eurozone – rather than any “will to power” – is why Berlin remains a peculiar capital for Europe.

I don't believe the list is correct. I lived in CT and worked in NYC. It smells of urine and burnt peanuts. It is a nice place to visit but I do not want to live there.

Miam Miam made in Berlin...

Sehr gut! Michelin Guide dishes out stars to Germany - The Guardian

Michelin says Germany is now ranked only behind France in Europe in terms of top restaurants, with its top chefs producing extraordinarily varied and experimental food that is "very open to the cuisines of the world". It has some catching up to do France has 26 three-star restaurants compared with 10 in Germany.

Food critics say a more telling sign of Germany's culinary rise was the number of restaurants in the very respectable two-star category, which has doubled to 36 since 2010. Germany now has 255 restaurants listed in the Guide Rouge.

Berlin's Tim Raue was upheld as the chef with the most international outlook, having wowed inspectors with his dim sum. "The best I've ever tasted anywhere between Hong Kong and Berlin," said Michael Ellis, the Michelin Guide's international director.

BBC NEWS BUSINESS

Berlin is the home of choice for many new hi-tech entrepreneurs from around the world.

Berlin has always been fashionable, edgy, artistic and in search of a role for itself. Sliced in two by communism and then re-united when the Berlin Wall came down in 1989, it is now re-inventing itself as one of Europe's leading hi-tech hubs.

Cheap property plus a young, talented workforce are attracting entrepreneurs from all over Europe and even the US.

"Berlin is a fantastic city. It's an old city, it's culturally and historically really rich, but it's also very young," says David Noel, head of community at SoundCloud, an audio sharing website.

Berlin became one of coolest places in the world to live and that attracted an entirely different crowd, creative people, people who were willing to try something new and most of these people were also from other countries,"” - Ciaran O'Leary Earlybird Venture Capital

&

GlobalBiz: Start Up City: 17 Nov 12 - BBC Podcast (27 min.)

Every city wants to become a high technology business hub, but ambitious entrepreneurs from all over Europe are rushing to set up shop in Berlin.

I worked in a modern art gallery in Berlin, and have seen this list before, it is not about the number of artists, but the art sales volume.

"Top 10 cities for those related to the arts (“Artists”)

1. New York

2. Paris

3. Berlin

4. London"

"Artists" is misteading here.

Berlin should be rated No.1 if you ask me :)

Except if you are a cyclist Berlin might not be the best place in Germany. Compared to other German cities you have few cyclist paths and the cars don't really car if there is a cyclist next to them.