206 countries, 1 year in search of happiness

21 posts in this topic

Hello Toytown. My name is Tony Martin (middle name Alfonzo, hence the screen name) and I have lived in Munich for the past two years. I've been around Toytown for some time. Although I'm not the most avid poster, this place has been a gold mine of information and I wouldn't have been able to survive the last two years in Munich if it weren't for you all.

Coca-Cola is sending three travelers around the world (206 countries) in one year starting this January, in search of happiness. There are three teams left and I am on one of them. You can check it out at www.expedition206.com.

post-16-12585292050909.jpg

This place is filled with a solid group of no-nonsense people and I have always liked that. You help those who need help and are respectful and you promptly correct those who are not. I do not want to fall into the category of the latter. The final stage of the decision process for this amazing opportunity is an internet vote and I would humbly like to ask that you check us out. I'm not asking for your vote! I'm asking you to check out the three teams and decide for yourself who's the best. And then, if you choose to help someone make it to this amazing journey, then do so. I honestly believe that my team, "The Mix" is the best team there and I am hoping that after review, you can help me do something I would have never imagined possible for myself. We really do have the best mix of skills and personality.

I really hope that you do not think this letter is spam. This truly is an opportunity of a lifetime. You can check out the route map here. If selected, I would also visit the world cup in South Africa, the winter olympics in Vancouver and the Shanghai World Expo. This truly is a crazy opportunity.

If you do decide to support my team, The Mix, there are several ways you can help.

Voting is daily at www.expedition206.com. It's an international vote, so every vote counts.

You can join our facebook group and soon to come, our fan page.

You can spread the word.

You can comment on the Coca-Cola facebook fan page showing your support.

I'm a video guy and an avid traveler but I'm not the best PR person. If anyone has any ideas on how I can spread the word and/or get media attention, I'm all ears. This story is running around the web but I want to know how to generate local support, whether it is here or in my hometown of Washington, DC.

I really appreciate you taking the time to read this. Thank you.

-Tony Martin

Hi Tony,

no, I don't think your post is spam. I think the expedition sounds cool!

I added a photo to your post, hope that's OK.

Have fun on the trip and make sure you keep us updated!

post-16-12585294393276.jpg

Gonna vote now. Sounds like a great opportunity.

And big-ups from a fellow DC'er to another! :)

I don't use facebook and never will be a slave to it like all the sheeple currently wasting their lives telling 'friends' their exact whereabouts and how many times they have passed wind during the day!

I don't like coca-cola either....Virgin cola is by far the better tasting cola.

Good luck on your trip (if it is not another high level marketing scam that is!)

Travel to many countries, in search of happiness....Sounds like the latest movie from Julia Roberts (Eat, Love, Pray), with a similar story.

...Good luck on your trip (if it is not another high level marketing scam that is!)

of course it's a marketing scam! coca-cola needs happiness ambassadors? right. whatever the deal, if someone pays to send you around the world, then why the f*ck not.

congratulations to team mix. not sure why your team was any better than the others, but you won, so who cares, right? anyhow, enjoy the journey and keep us posted!

Tony- Congratulations and have a safe journey! It is an amazing opportunity. I had 2 siblings attend I.U.P and will certainly let them know what an Alumnus is up to! Very cool. All the Best - ML

mmm, sounds a bit like a copy of "where the hell is Matt?" - paid for and, ahem, marketed by 'Stride' gum. But I am sure Coca Cola are just in it for the happiness, right.

Congratulations! And when you're in NZ in March, swim with the dolphins.

Because that is pure happiness for me.

This is really cool!

I hope you make it and enjoy the year out

Wow what an opportunity... all I can say is have fun cause it'll be a great adventure! I won't lie I'm jealous, I pretty much want to do the same thing one day!!!

Walking on leaves makes you happy? And by saying that you get to go round the world with that blonde chick? Lucky bastard ;)

Congratulations though. I'm off to go walk on some leaves.

Congratulations! And when you're in NZ in March, swim with the dolphins.

Because that is pure happiness for me.

Most of us prefer sex!

I'm sorry it's been so long since I came back. Thank you all so much for your support. I'm really thankful for those of you who took the time to support us. This whole thing has been a bit unreal, it all happened so fast.

of course it's a marketing scam! coca-cola needs happiness ambassadors? right. whatever the deal, if someone pays to send you around the world, then why the f*ck not.

congratulations to team mix. not sure why your team was any better than the others, but you won, so who cares, right? anyhow, enjoy the journey and keep us posted!

I'm not sure if we are better either but we were selected and I'm not complaining at all. It's still all a little surreal.

Tony- Congratulations and have a safe journey! It is an amazing opportunity. I had 2 siblings attend I.U.P and will certainly let them know what an Alumnus is up to! Very cool. All the Best - ML

That's cool! I actually never graduated. I. Usually. Partied. I had a little too much fun at that school.

mmm, sounds a bit like a copy of "where the hell is Matt?" - paid for and, ahem, marketed by 'Stride' gum. But I am sure Coca Cola are just in it for the happiness, right.

I'm sure it has a lot to do with marketing as well but I'm not complaining. Coke has went out of their way to take great care of us and for that, I'm thankful. Whatever the motivation behind this project, I still get to search for happiness in cultures around the world and for me, that's an amazing thing.

Walking on leaves makes you happy? And by saying that you get to go round the world with that blonde chick? Lucky bastard

Congratulations though. I'm off to go walk on some leaves.

LOL! Yes, saying that definitely helped me get to travel the world with a blonde chick and a Mexican Shou Lin master. Good luck with the leave walking.

It was a pretty tough selection process. The leaves definitely helped :)

sounds like a perfect marketing opportunity for coca cola