Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Organic fruit and veg delivery in Munich

20 posts in this topic

Thanks to cb4ach for reminding me of this nifty service of a box full of organically grown fruits and vegetables delivered to your door. It has been costing us €11 or €11.50 a shot, plus a €10 deposit on the box you get the goods in. This is for the smallest size box, there are bigger boxes available for bigger households. The food is all very fresh and tasty. Probably the best advantage is that there are several fixed boxes to choose from, but then the mix in the box is set. Therefore, we have been eating a much wider variety of vegetables than we normally ever would. Just had Schwarzwurzel this morning, (Black Salisfy in English) and it's very tasty. But I would never have gone into a shop and bought the thing that looked like a long black skinny carrot. Also, we have eating far more vegetables over all. There are 2 of us, and the small box is just enough for us to finish before they bring the next one. Of course, if you are a serious veggie eater, maybe you could go through more.

Anyways, for those who are interested here is the link to find the places that will deliver to you. It's all in German, but it's pretty easy to manage. They phoned us the first time to tell us when delivery was and confirm details, so that might be the only tricky part, or you could just phone them with a German-speaking friend and ask about it.

aha. Explains the gemuse/obst box outside our neighbors door in Hamburg.

I got lost in the German on that site but I'm assuming when you say 11.50 a shot, you're talking weekly delivery?

That's right. And the 10€ is only for the first box. Then, since I return it when I get the new box, there no additional charge.

Thanks so much for the info - I've only found Organic Produce delivery in Tennessee and California - this is awesome. ButI do enjoy going to the farmer's market near my house on Satuday then again, I could sleep in on Saturday!!!

@showem

Are you still using this service? It sounds like a good idea, but I have a couple of questions...

1) How much is really in the small box (1-2 people)? Is it enough for 2 to eat a vegetable with each dinner each night of the week?

2)Has the quality remained fresh--when you get the delivery I am sure it must be fresh, but does it remain fresh long enough to eat all of it (i.e. no waste?) ?

3) Did you price them at the market to compare the difference saved if you just picked them up yourself? (Just curious if it is a big of a price difference due to the convenience factor, or if there really isn't much of a price difference)

Thanks for your input.

Chanda

Chanda,

Yes, we're still using it.

What came in the box this week was a leafy head of lettuce, two kohlrabi, a handful of carrots, an avacado, a bunch of radishes, apples and oranges (maybe 6-8 all together). There might have been something else, like celery stalks, I'm not sure, I didn't empty the box this week, so that might have been from before. Up to you to decide if that's enough. If you want more veggies to cook, rather than just wash and eat, you can order a different box.

It does for the most part remain fresh. Course if you forget to put the carrots in the fridge, they get wrinkly quickly. Everything easily lasts a week in the fridge though. In the 3 months we've been getting the delivery, we only once had a problem with a few rotten apples. I called them and they took several Euros off the price of the following week's delivery.

No, we didn't do a item by item comparison. There's even a big bio market around the corner on Barerstr, but we appreciate the convenience and the variety as much as anything else.

Glad you are still a satisfied customer

:P

And they sell partsnips !!

By the way, I don't get commisson..I just find them very good.

thanks for the information about Ökokiste. I heard about it, but didn´t check it out before.

Came across this company a while back. Talked with sis in law weekend and she recommended this firm.

Has anyone tried this? Which box did you try?

Topics merged by admin

I get the Querbeet box every two weeks (only one person in the household so this is plenty big enough for me) from Hofgut Letten, great quality products, good service, just give them a call or send an email to postpone a delivery for holidays and the like, almost always delivered by the same guy - so you can arrange a suitable 'hiding place' for the box when you're out, you can specify likes and dislikes or put the box together yourself.

On the very odd occasions when something is forgotten (I think it's happened twice in two years) it's been sorted with a credit note.

You can add extra stuff as and when required - the cheese variety packs are very good. You can look on the website in advance to see what will be in your box, and if there's something you don't like you can have it removed/replaced relatively easily.

I am looking out for a vegetable box delivery service - two reasons really - firstly I like the idea of having locally produced, seasonal, vitamin-packed veg delivered to my door (did it over 10 years ago in London and it was fantastic), second it adds variety, interest and surprise to the food I eat and cook as I expect to get things I wouldn't normally buy in the supermarket.

I've found this one: http://www.oekokiste-tagwerk.de/ - which looks interesting and they seem to deliver in my area. Although the website seems to be on the blink at the moment.

Does anyone else do this? Any good / bad experiences?

Topics merged by admin

We had one of these. I thought the selection was good and of course you could say if there was anything in particular that you wanted or didn't want. It was also a good challenge: "so what do we do with three Kohlrabi and a cucumber?". The reason why we stopped getting a box was that the service which delivers to our area couldn't deliver at a time when we were at home to pick it up - it would have been ok if we were in an apartment building where it could be left in the entrance hall, but for our place the only option was the doorstep and with a footpath right outside that didn't seem like a good idea. I know some of the delivery companies will agree to deliver in the evening one night a week but ours didn't.

Can anyone recommend a vege/fruit box delivery service in Munich? Especially interested in Organic produce.

Alternatively, can anyone recommend good regional produce or organic markets?

There is a TT post about ones in Frankfurt but how about in Munich?

[adminmerge][/adminmerge]

While I'm not sure what a vege/fruit box is, I just Googled "bio heimservice muenchen" and got a lot of hits that look like produce delivery.

We use Hofgut Letten. Very good quality.

Thanks for the replies as well as Admin linking this to an earlier post. The earlier info had not come up when I searched TT in the first place. I look forward to giving the suggestions a go!

Cheers