Demonstration against the Stadtschloss in Berlin

84 posts in this topic

You sound just like Klaus. Give people enough shit to look at on TV, cheap beer, cigarettes and a bit of humiliation down the Job Centre and if they are not bothered then great. Next step then is to tell those who are bothered they have nothing to say due to the percentage of people who aren't bothered. It's the law isn't it? Did they have a vote on that law by the way and was it based on the number of people who were bothered or not bothered?

If the population of Berlin had been put under duress during the vote or the likes like as in Afghanistan I would understand. They were just told leave the decisions to those in power and it would be good for them.

Anti Democratic Elite Technocrats like yourself bringing up nonsense like,

So it would be equivalent to buying a car for €100 that is worth €2000 - sounds like a pretty good deal, for Berlin

I mean that's a rubbish calculation and comparison, considering the person buying it won't own it (as you point out) and they have already massive debts and can't pay the rent or the food at home.

If you insist on insisting then there should be a law as in Belgium that one has to vote or loose the right to do so. That means the people who are vegetated in front of the, 'Idiots Lantern', can do so and the rest can get on with making things work.

Enjoy your daft fake Schloss when it comes but it may not be quite what you had envisaged. Might make a good prison mind you.

The reality is most people just weren't that bothered with 'saving' Tempelhof - people seem to prefer a huge park over constant air and noise pollution in the middle of the city.

At the time of the Euro-elections, the citizens of Tempelhof-Schöneberg (but only them) were invited to support Tempelhof as an aeronautical museum. I voted in favour, on the basis that what Sir Norman Foster describes as "The Mother of All Airports" would be an excellent location for such a museum. There were also proposals to move the Allied Museum to Tempelhof as well. The plebiscite seems to have come to nothing, but there you go. As long as Tempelhof is kept as an open space and nobody builds crap all over it, I'm easy. It's certainly quieter here now (I live under what was, until last year, the Tempelhof flight path), although the roar of the engines of the "Rosinenbomber" was, I found, quite exhiliarating as the thing lumbered through the sky above my apartment. I do miss it.

I am a new member and have yet to come to Berlin but this is an interesting topic. As a historian of sorts (BA and MA in Modern European History) a couple of things come to mind. For those of us familiar with how government works, if you kill this project, you will not be able to move that 500 million to another more "worthy" project in Berlin. Trust me on this one. It will either go back into general revenue or be earmarked for another similar project somewhere else.

As for pre-war vs. post-war Berlin, my impression is that the city went from a major 19th century European capital to a pile of smoldering rubble and then became a divided city made up of what were essentially two massive Potemkin villages designed to fly in the face of the other side. West Berlin was a city that didn't function like a major metropolis because it was cut off from the rest of the country, but it served as a highly effective thorn in the side of the USSR. The East....well, was the East. ;) So what is wrong with bringing back some of the old like they did not only in Warsaw, but in Nuremburg and a number of other towns? Paris has been talking about doing the same thing with the Tullieres Palace.

@jmforge, I agree with you on your post.

Personally, I just don't get what these protesters are complaining about. If it's about the money, so, that's life. I pay taxes and very little of what I pay actually goes into services I personally use. I don't get to pick and choose where my tax money goes. That's life. If I was to start complaining that some of it was going into one particular building in Berlin, I would have to look at every single other building my tax money was going into and whether it was personally worth it to me.

If it is the design of the building, I still don't get the protests. They can't build an exact replica because it would actually be a greater waste of money since the design would have little practical use in today's world.

Personally, I don't live in Berlin, but think this would be a great addition to that city. It would look fantastic in the end, and so if a tiny, small part of the money I have paid in tax goes to build this, wonderful.