Demonstration against the Stadtschloss in Berlin

84 posts in this topic

Schloss Mit Lustig Cancel The Castle!

Demonstration against the Stadtschloss

Samstag October 17, 15.00

Berlin citizens will call on the authorities to abandon their plans to build a fake castle in the center of the city at a cost of more than half a billion euros.

On Saturday October 17, a group of demonstrators will gather at the Schlossplatz, the site of the proposed ‘Humboldt-Forum’.

They will hold a colourful demonstration featuring music and a jumping castle.

Their main message is that the Stadtschloss is an unnecessary waste of money, especially during a financial crisis, at a time when many other services in Berlin are under-funded and in a state of disrepair.

Instead, demonstrators propose that the Schlossplatz be left in its current empty state to be enjoyed as a public park.

Demonstrators have decided to act now due to the recently-exposed mishandling of the architectural competition. Now that the project is without an architect, it is a good time for the city to completely reconsider whether it wants or needs this building at all.

The public institutions that have been proposed as tenants of the Stadtschloss – including the city library, university faculties and museum departments – can accommodated in other existing buildings at a much lower cost.

The Schlossplatz has long been a site where symbols of power have been erected - first the power of the Prussian rulers, then the Soviet authorities. Now a small but powerful group of business people want to build yet another symbol of power there. Instead of this constant adjustment of history, demonstrators call for the location to be left empty and free of symbols.

Citizens who are also against the Stadtschloss can join the demonstration at the Schlossplatz at 15.00 on Saturday August 17. Organizers are inviting the public to bring their own signs, to dress as royalty, and to enjoy a playful, peaceful demonstration.

Following the action, demonstrators will hold an after-party at Betahaus in Kreuzberg. Entry from 22.00, 3eu.

post-39725-12554476822125_thumb.jpg

More information: www.stopstadtschloss.com

This Saturday, a group of Berlin citizens - both expats and locals - will hold a demonstration at the Schlossplatz to voice their opposition to the Stadtschloss project. The demo takes place at 15.00, and will feature a jumping castle.

At 22.00 on the same night, the group will hold an afterparty at Betahaus (also featuring the jumping castle). Music: DJs and a live act. Entry: 3eu.

www.stopstadtschloss.com

There's a word for these nostalgic, architectural reconstructions: Follies. The British Victorians were very keen on them, and were almost always misguided, ugly vanity projects. This feels more like Disneyland.

Build something there for sure, but don't waste time and money trying to recreate something from another era.

Anthony

Or something like this?

BBC News: Protest over St Petersburg tower

About 3,000 people have rallied in St Petersburg against plans to build a huge skyscraper in Russia's former imperial capital. Demonstrators voiced anger at the city council's decision to approve construction of the 400m (1,312 ft) Okhta Centre for the gas giant Gazprom. They said the tower would spoil the city's historic skyline.

There's a word for these nostalgic, architectural reconstructions: Follies. The British Victorians were very keen on them, and were almost always misguided, ugly vanity projects. This feels more like Disneyland. Build something there for sure, but don't waste time and money trying to recreate something from another era.

Yeah, man, f*ck that! We want something with, like, hammers and sickles on it!

I think its actually quite a good idea, and is not really any different from a new office building, bridge or other big architectural project such as a the cool new Jewish museum etc etc.

This half billion will pay wages of builders and stonemasons etc but the finished venue should really be made to pay for itself through its use as an event venue, tourist attraction and luxury rented business location (rather than state or university departments, I agree that would be a waste of money).

Having said all that, it does have a millenium dome type ring about the whole idea. I'm watching this one with interest.

Well I'm no dirty hippie but I think it's a waist of money weather its a Castle or a Palace.

I'll be at the protest and the party. These guys put together some interesting events so it should be good.

What better way to combat Berlin's 60 billion Euro debt than to spend 500 million on a large castle. Economics, Eastern Block style!

Personally I'd spend it on trying to attract some more multinational tech firms to set-up base in Berlin, thus creating jobs that will last longer than the time it takes to build a castle. Or use it to help out people trying to start their own businesses etc. Or even just use it to boost the street cleaning services!

There's a word for these nostalgic, architectural reconstructions: Follies. The British Victorians were very keen on them, and were almost always misguided, ugly vanity projects. This feels more like Disneyland.

Build something there for sure, but don't waste time and money trying to recreate something from another era.

Anthony

Yep, those ugly buildings like the Palace of Westminster, the various museums around London, The Royal Crescent in Bath, The Capitol building in Washington,... all built out of vanity and not adding anything to their respective environments. I'd much rather see some functional concrete office block any day... not.

And while you dirty hippies jump around on your bouncy castle to protest a multimillion-euro gift from the federal government - one that will pump lots of money into the local economy, both temporarily and permanently - we productive members of society will continue working so we can pay for your Hartz IV benefits.

Ahmen to that!

I'm all for a big, beautiful place! I want to see a bit of Berlin's former glory recreated... before the bombs and the Communism smashed it up. Where's the harm in creating a thing of beauty that will bring more visitors and create employment?

Are the hippies worried that there will be more jobs out there and they may be offered work?

Bah. Just build a park there and be done with it. Saves a crapload of money too.

As Berlin had the almighty crap bombed out of it and was almost abandoned, there has been a long tradition of restoring and rebuilding. This fits right in with that. The destruction of the palace was an act of cultural barbarism and I am looking forward to see it being brought back to life - currently you can only see it in some old paintings.

I for one am happy to see some even more beauty and light being brought to Berlin and Unter den Linden.

Victorian Follies are well loved in Britain these days, I think they are just wonderful, and what is so wrong with palaces and castles? In a world full of ugly modern buildings, I think there is a need for some beauty.

Berlin was vandalised by the DDR... It's time to make it pretty again

Anthony

Why would you demonstrate against something that will restore Berlin to it's former glory? Even in 1950 when Walter 'asshole' Ulbricht blew up the royal palace, it was highly controversial and he made all sorts of empty promises he would put up bits of it somewhere else. In fact, there is a rumor that much of the facade of the palace are buried just outside east berlin.

My only negative comment is that they are making it a modern building. Build it the way it was, a la the city palace in Munich, and put a 20euro entrance fee on it to make the money back. We all know the tourists will pay for it.

But even as it is, it will create tons of jobs- especially jobs FOR ARTISTS! *shock!* Horror* I heard they are scouring Europe for people who know how to do 18thC plaster work. Go, oh white, dreadlocked masses and learn a marketable artistic skill! You can be artistic and make money!

But I think that all the leftists want to do is complain and destroy. First, they will have their mocking bouncy house, drink lots of beer, then they will wander down to Kreuzberg, drink more beer and light some BMWs on fire. OOOOOOOOOH you rebels! Wow. IT's the battle for Seattle all over again.

Grow up and let Berlin be beautiful again. First the Stadtschloss, next the Bauakademie. Construction makes work. Work gives people hope. Berlin needs hope. It also needs its beauty back. It's pride. It's sense of who it was and who it will be.

Does thinking this make me the rebel? Maybe.