Renting industrial property in Berlin

8 posts in this topic

Hey people,

I'm a musician and have been living in Berlin for 9 months.

I currently live in Neukolln in a flatshare. It's really about time I got a proper studio space where I can permanently set up a drum kit and some recording equipment etc and be able to make a din whenever I like and not feel guilty about it, as it's my job and I shouldn't have to worry lol. It's pretty much ruined my musical output since I've been here not having a proper studio space.

So I've researched a few ideas...

funkhaus etc (purpose built studio spaces) would be great but they only have multiples of 100m2 available and I don't have £1000/pm rent (in addition to living).

Rockhaus etc are great practice rooms for bands but I could never record there for all the tumult of background noise of other bands.

So I'm stuck that way.... either massively too expensive (proper recording studio spaces) or not suitable for a permanent recording setup for one reason or another (rehearsal/practice rooms, shared long term band rooms etc).

Therefore.... I thought, there's LOADS of vacant industrial property in Berlin that I could build a studio in for myself.... but how on earth can I rent something? Where would I start looking. Although I have a large deposit, I have nowhere near enough to *buy* anywhere and I wouldn't like the overkill of a mortgage.

Any pointers? Is it possible? Or anyone know anything like Funkhaus but more reasonable eg £7/sqrM & 25sqrMs?

Thanks in advance!

Laney

Edit: BTW I mean here when I said funkhaus: http://www.nalepastrasse.de/

Any ideas at all? Sorry, maybe I blabbered on too much. Just wanna know if anyone has managed to rent disused industrial property of any kind?

Or anywhere else I can make noise without complaints, that's not shared by 50 other bands making an equally loud noise.

:D

Love to all.

Hey someone must have an idea... does my question sound stupid or something...?

:-(

laney, it's a completely fair question to my mind - but I have no idea what to suggest. Other than perhaps getting on your bike (literally) and covering the ground until you spot places that look like they have potential, then researching who owns them and approaching the owners directly. Have you tried this already?

ImmobilienScout24 has commercial listings. This link takes you to Hallen/Produktionsstätten. Enter your address under Umkreissuche and you'll find free space close to you ("Umkreis" in km). You can limit by size. If you find something, make them a cheapo offer until they rent it to someone else. Then rinse, wipe hands on pants, and repeat.

laney, go to any local commercial/industrial real estate office and ask them what area you need to look at that offers square meter rental space at whatever your budget is.

start off with 2euro psm. might be surprising what you'd come up with.

i've got a friend that could sort you out but he'd probably charge a finders fee. 200 euros or something. but its not difficult to find cheap space surrounding the city anyway so you shouldn't need him.

plenty of empty space.

Hey thanks for the pointers guys!

€2/SqrM sounds great. I think I could even do €6pqm if I could find a suitably small place.

Your right I think I need to be more "hands on" and really start *looking* - I've been doing a lot of Google-ing but only a couple of bike rides looking around.

I'll see what comes up on that website too.

:D

Hello, Laney! I found this very old post here and I was curious... did you find something? How? I am in the same situation now in 2020 :) Any feedback is more than appreciated! Thanks! Groove on! Drum on!