Kindergeld for children living abroad

43 posts in this topic

I'm an EU citizen.

I'm working in Germany for the public service but my primary residence is in Italy where my family lives.

I've a three years old daughter and we are expecting a baby for March 2010 (all of them are living in Italy).

Am I eligible to receive the "Kindergeld" in Germany since I'm paying taxes here?

Thanks a lot

No, they have to live in Germany.

Rubbish. If your children are still eligible for Kindergeld then it doesn't matter where they live. If you are already receiving any form of kindergeld in the country they are living, then that will be deducted from the amount you receive here. If any money they receive is more than the kindergeld here then you will get nothing. How do I know this, because my kids live in Holland and I have been receiving kindergeld for them for years.

Dear "Allerhousen"

were your children in Germany and then moved back to Holland or simply from the beginning they were in Holland?

My "potential" employer told me a similar explanation but then looking on the several forum posts it seems that is very difficult have them if the family is not living in Germany.

My children were living in Germany and then moved to Holland. Get in touch with the local Arbeitsamt kindegeldkasse and ask them.

I have a hard time believing that parents of children who have never lived in Germany, and whose parents are not German, would be entitled to Kindergeld. What would be the point of that?

That's tricky because if your primary residence is in Italy then you should pay tax in Italy. If you live in Germany 183 days or more then your primary residence is in Germany, and if your kids do not live there then I doubt you get kinder geld.

Staying more then 183 days in Germany is requiring me to pay taxes there; but since the "primary residence" is considered where you have the family (obviously if you want it); I'll keep my "primary residence" in Italy and as consequence I've to declare here my German income. Italian taxes will be then calculated considering this income but the amount already paid in Germany will be subtracted to the overall amount required. Income for the Italian taxes calculation will be the German one as used in Germany for the tax calculation (so work wage less cost due to "second home").

I've received confirmation that if you are a EU citizen, paying taxes in Germany, you are eligible to receive "kindergilde" even if children are living in another EU country.

If you receive similar "bonus" in the other country, Germany will pay, if any, the relevant difference.

The kindergeld people are very slow to react, however once they get their backsides into gear, they pay all the money owing, back dated, although I don't know how far back dated. They even have claim forms in English! Unless they've changed it recently the form you want is an E411. As I said before you get them from the Arbeitsamt -Familienkasse

I went to my local Arbeitsamt in Munich today to see if i could claim kindergeld for my daughter in England (she lives with her mum and we are still married). They gave me a form "Auftrag auf Kindergeld" and told me the Familienkasse office is in Deggendorf (150km away). No mention of form E411. I assume i can post the form!

yes...I just mailed mine in - to Ingolstadt. We are in Kreis Freising.

They were quite quick about it, actually.

Now I am waiting to hear about Elterngeld...

Thats good to know, thanks.

As an EU citizen, do i automatically qualify for these sort of benefits or do I need to provide further evidence (or fill out some other form)? I have already registered at the KVR, I was hoping that is enough!

I have their "Antrag auf kindergeld" and "Haushaltsbescheiningung" forms ready to fill out.

A related question (couldnt find another thread!). My wife has been told that we have to apply for childrens tax credit in Germany, wait for what they say, then re-apply for the UK one we no longer get as i am working in Germany. Does anyone know how I go about doing this? I have already been evalauted for Tax class 1 as my family live in the UK, so not sure we get anything. Accourding to the letter we got from HM R&C, there is some sort of EU agreement in place though.

As an EU citizen, do i automatically qualify for these sort of benefits or do I need to provide further evidence (or fill out some other form)?

I gave you the link on page 1. Why don't you contact them and ask?