What do Germans think about Filipinos?

40 posts in this topic

Anyone else have to look up Pinay in wikipedia to even find out what it means? I never heard that term before.

As long as you don't bury duck eggs in your front garden, make sure to sweep the street every Saturday in front of your house, join the local bowling or fishing club, put your towels down on the deck chairs at 6AM when on holiday and stare a lot at people you don't know (especially if they are handicapped), then you'll be just fine here.

Join the fishing club? Just exactly how integrated do you expect the poor sod to be? 15 years of night school followed by the German inquistion (much worse than the spanish one) and then you might, I stress MIGHT, be allowed to have possesion of a fishing rod.

Give the guy a break. :)

just landed in munich three weeks ago..i'm from the philippines. i will b here for the next three months or so.. i was surprised there is forum with filipino topics.hehehe..

hello again to everyone.

back to topic...the place i work at has alot of nationalities working there and i'm the only filipino. the germans are ok saying hi..good morning..bye..i don't get the feeling that they don't like foreigners its more like they will avoid me because sometimes its hard for them to speak english. but generally the atmosphere around them is ok.

try grilling some dried squid outside - surefire way to find out...

Imho your are asking the wrong group of people for their views, since this as has been stated before not a forum for Germans,

but for English speakers living in Germany.

You have nothing to worry about. My wife is Filipina and I am American. She is a dancer. I would assume most Filipinas here are dancers or work as hotel housecleaners. Which are you? I also know a Filipino doctor here.

OP and bad donkey. try to go to an american army base...a lot of the employees of the store are filipina. Bad Donkey this would require you to travel to heidelberg, mannheim, or ramstein.

j,

Obviously you made a big mistake marrying a filipina dancer. Next time marry a white professional girl and you won't get negged. ;)

Based on my experience, being a Filipino living here for almost 2 years now, most Germans would assume that I'm Thai basing solely on my appearance -- as if Thailand is the only country in Southeast Asia.

I also met a German hotel owner who had employed Filipinas and he was happy with their performance. I just had the impression from him that Filipinas here in Germany are just engaged in blue-collar jobs. I have met a few fellow Filipinas here and indeed they are doing these jobs and I have nothing against them.

As to racial discrimination, my German friend said that other migrants or foreigners themselves are the ones discriminating against their fellow migrants.

I don't know of any stereotypes whatsoever. Filipinos are still a minority in Germany. Unless the Filipino population growth increases comparable to that of our fellow Turkish, then you might hear "Vorurteile" from Germans.

Hahahahahaha! I am totally cracking up here reading some replies! :lol:

Hey Luflee! I am a Filipina who has traveled and lived in different countries, and I have not experienced any discrimination against me as a Filipina. People are usually surprised when they learn later that I'm a Filipina. Although I still retain some Filipino traits, I try to adapt to the culture of the country I'm living in and always follow their laws/rules (they're way less corrupt here, haha!), I learn their language and just be nice, respectful and confident. Since I decided to live in Germany for the next 2 to 3 years, I have researched even more about the country and enrolled myself in the German language course because I believe easy communication is one great factor in adapting. Oh, and please don't ever cook dried fish, etc. here :blink: unless your home is far away from the next home, hahaha! Seriously, so far, I enjoy waaaay more living in New Zealand (but hubby is here in HD so I have to be here) and am looking forward to moving to the U.S. in a few years. Maybe later, though, I will learn to love life in Germany, who knows. I just wish I could teach here! :)

Where will you live in Germany? I know, albeit not that well, only 3 Filipinos in Germany - 2 really wonderful women from the U.S. PX shop where I shop, and Gelo, a scientist who works in the cancer research center in Heidelberg, who I communicate with regularly. We could meet up when you come here! You'll do great, girl!

Cheers!

Angela

As a german I must admit that I could not really tell a philipino from other asians. But I think most germans have "prejudices" about asians, they think asians are polite, intelligent and hardworking. Same kind of prejudice like "The british have tea in the afternoon and have a dry sense of humor".

But I think what was said about germans thinking asian women might be brought back from Thailand or "bought" might be true, but just in cases where old ugly german men are seen with young asian women.

Edit: And I think some german men have their fantasies about asian women ;)

I'm Filipino, and my husband is German. We live in Germany. I don't like Germany. It's not warm enough. It's a cold place.

I'm Filipina, living here for six years now, working as an English teacher.

The Germans don't know very much about the Philippines, and don't care generally. All they know about the Philippines is Boracay, and whatever comes up in the news (Payatas, Flood, Crucifixions). Try to make a good impression as you go, and you'll be fine.

Buffy.

My German husband is a very pessimistic guy. Yesterday he spoiled my whole evening by constantly criticizing about the new compulsory GEZ TV license fee rule starting from 2013.

Are you saying that Germans are the kind of people who all think that Filipinos the sort that are always stereotyping the Germans as constantly complaining whingebots?

I asked my wife what she thought about filipinos, she say´s they taste to much like chicken, and does´nt like the mess involved when preparing them.

I guess the majority of Germans would think that you are from Vietnam or Thailand because there are more Vietnamese and Thai people residing in Germany than Filipinos.

I'm Filipino, and my husband is German. We live in Germany. I don't like Germany. It's not warm enough. It's a cold place.

My German husband is a very pessimistic guy. Yesterday he spoiled my whole evening by constantly criticizing about the new compulsory GEZ TV license fee rule starting from 2013.

Throw him on an open fire. Two problems solved with one solution.

my ex-gf is filipina, too.

and her mother really came to germany because of an ugly old german man, so i think that´s not just a prejudice. but altogether i think most people don´t really care about your filipino origin. Just behave a little bit like us germans and all will be fine :D

Well, and usually i AM able to recognize a filipino from a thai.

have a good start here :)