What do Germans think about Filipinos?

40 posts in this topic

Just want to know what does Germans thinking about filipino's/pinay living in germany?

Im going to live in germany soon...

Good question. They don't seem to form their sentences very well. :) You do know this is an expat forum for english speakers right? Okay, see you in the >Xtra>Removed Posts> username and password file. :rolleyes:

Vielen dank NOBULLJIM! even germans have problems when they speak english... *wink*

Actually my point is you are asking a bunch of english speakers not originally from Germany to assess a Germans point of view concerning Filipinos. I personally have zero issues, but I am from the USA. I hope you get some solid answers though. *wink back*

Some Germans won't like foreigners of any provenance at all, many - like myself - came to like especially those industrious, ambitious and amiable Asians very much, Filipinos included. :)

That probably... will take a while... since there aint that much germans on this forum...

Mr Nosey may have a point....but only in respect of Germans that actually have an opinion on your nationality, of course. I don't recall any of my German family and friends expressing an opinion on your nation.

We immigrants can be bit self-regarding in that respect. We do like to think the citizens of our new country are highy interested in us...when in reality most of them don't give a toss (as jenhillstad's reply indicates). So, I'd actually not bother than much.

As long as you don't bury duck eggs in your front garden, make sure to sweep the street every Saturday in front of your house, join the local bowling or fishing club, put your towels down on the deck chairs at 6AM when on holiday and stare a lot at people you don't know (especially if they are handicapped), then you'll be just fine here.

Foreigners are only despised in their host country if they throw their opinions/'habits' around and/or if there are to many of them. Applies to most established countries, otherwise all is ok.

One other point is Brotneid or worry about losing the job.(got to have someone to blame)

Most Germans probably don't have much of an opinion about Filipinos at all. There aren't any historical ties and the aren´t a nationality with a high profile in Germany.

Generally, they think that Filipinos are here to do the crummy service jobs that Germans don't want to do and that Filipinas are either prostitutes or bought wives shipped over by ugly, lonely older German guys.

Hm I think you are confusing this with stereotypes about one of the less catholic asian countries (dont want to insult any nation in particular). I think the only time the Philippines show up in german television is, when some lunatics let themself get nailed to a cross to celebrate the torture and death of Jesus Christ.

Most Germans probably don't have much of an opinion about Filipinos at all. There aren't any historical ties and the aren´t a nationality with a high profile in Germany.

I'd probably agree with that. If you ask me what I think about Filipinos, I don't really know what I would say. I don't personally know any.

Hm I think you are confusing this with stereotypes about one of the less catholic asian countries (dont want to insult any nation in particular). I think the only time the Philippines show up in german television is, when some lunatics let themself get nailed to a cross to celebrate our lord and savior.

Does it rhyme with Hailand? :huh:

They probably assume Filipinos are Vietnamese or Thai if they see them on the street. Those are the main Asian groups here.

As a seaman I've worked with many Filipinos and I find them generally alright. I did have some problems with the really different culture they come from, but I'm not aware of some generally held view of Filipinos. Actually, I don't think the average German would really care...

Just want to know what does Germans thinking about filipino's/pinay living in germany?

Im going to live in germany soon...

not sure,but they may send you to Dachau camp on humanitarian grounds. It is still operating.

You always get work,free showers, and striped shirts..all free :D

pS: Youre not Ambrosio the Healer are you??

I'm filipino. I've been here a year and a half. All I can say from my experience here so far has been:

Depending on how you look as a filipino, you'll may have a random person address you in Spanish over English if your Deutsche isn't that great.

Just carry yourself with (genuine) confidence and friendliness and you should do fine.