Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

German swear words

81 posts in this topic

following on from the legendary 'you sir are a w@nker' incident in Schwabing mid-dec 2003 i was thinking it may be necesssary to add further put-downs to the repertoire which may come in useful at this particularly stressful time of year..

my starter for 10. 'two world wars and one world cup doodah doodah'..

warning - only to be used at skinhead types at sporting events so very limited...can you do better? :P

It's not just what you say - it's the way you say it. All I did was basically go: 'You're a wanker', but somehow, delivered clearly, anunciated properly and with a dramatic pause 'You sir...are a wanker' is more effective. It also made me laugh afterwards. It's a mis-quote from Lisa Simpson by the way, talking to Homer - 'You sir, are a baboon!' 'Who, me?' 'Yes! You!! Baboon! Baboon! Baboon!'

@Mystery - would you use the polite form of address when calling someone an arsehole?

"Sie können mich mal" fits all purposes and situations. Well all abusive purposes and situations that is. I do tend to use "aber Hallo" a lot which is less agressive but gets the point across.

I swear less in German than in English actually, probably because Herr Indoors tells me off..

Katrina

You could actually chant '2 world wars and 2 world cups now'...

no limited to one world cup only. no need to exaggerate.

we beat australia in the rugger bugger final not germany...but i guess you knew that ?

I'm a fan of "verpiss dich" and started using "wickser(sp?)" regularly. Apparently it's a huge insult to call someone a "wickser" here, so I limit it's usage to people I think won't have a swing at me.

I tend to use 'Augen auf' a fair bit. Although one day a woman stopped directly at the top of the Hertie escalator directly in everyones way and I was right behind her and just barked like an angry dog loudly into her ear. She jumped pretty damn quickly and was too shocked to say anything back.

I would use the polite form: it gives more force.

I would recommend renting American Pie 3 on DVD and watching it in German. I saw it in the cinema and learned all manner of useful vocabulary. Forgotten it all again due to lack of practice. That and when a tramp went bananas on the bus one day and verbally attacked a young lad 'dass ihm so dumm angeglozt hat'. A virtuosic performance it was.

You could really shock them by calling them a zipfeklatscher. Which is Bayerisch for wanker.

du ...bist ein zipfeklatscher.

and dont forget arschloch

what does "wickser" mean?

I was recently taught a funny one: "krapfeng'sicht" (alternatively "pfannkucheng'sicht")

I also like "penner" or "du penner" (I am told it means "loser", loosely translated) as in "stell dich hinten an, du penner"

Some more bayerish for you all

Britschn - slut/bitch

depp - idiot

breznsalzer - coward

and that is all I remember.

Scowling and looking like you have just been released from the pschiatric ward and have a penchance for ripping peoples faces off normally does the trick.

Don't see why anyone should have to lower themselves to the level of the locals and utter any of that non-sensical garnage that passes as a language here.

Yeah yeah, if I don't like it...

My personal favourite Bairisch phrase would be *Leck mi fett* which means something like bloody hell and all loads of cobblers are classed as *Schmarrn* with can be used in conbination with words like *-könig*.

If any of you are really interested in Bavarian phases please look out for the comedian Bruno Jonas who does shows in dialect which is only right because *a Hund isser scho* (because he's Bavarian). He is bloody funny actually.

Katrina

PS have a look at http://www.kuh.at/lexicon/category/19 and don't forget that *a Fünfer-Packerl Watschn is glei aufgrissen* (how to threaten to whack someone in Bavarian)

PPS *Arschgeiger* is a fantastic word and should be used more often.

threaten to whack someone in Bavarian

I am also told that "pass auf (optionally insert here: du penner / wichser / whatever), sonst faengst gleich a paar" achieves roughly the same result

always liked 'kleine stuck drecke'...but was interested to learn the difference between the weather being 'schwuele' and calling someone a 'schwueler' (spelling help!)