British Allsorts - a British shop in Munich

294 posts in this topic

One of my colleagues has just popped a newspaper clipping on my desk for a new Brit food shop opening here in Munich.

The addrss is Rosenheimerstr.161 close to Karls Preis Platz U-Bahn. Very close to where I'm working.

British Allsorts

Looks to be stocking the standard Pies, pickles and other home stuff.

It's rather odd. I assume target market is English speakers, so why is the website in German?

Aiming it solely at English speakers, judging by the amount of British food shops that have come and gone here over the years, would be a very bad idea. Much better to try and get the local population to buy stuff, there's far more of them! Although I'm not sure what Backing is!

Aiming British canned food at the Germans?

I've heard some shit business plans in my time but that one "takes the biscuit" (see what I did there).

The krauts HATE our food!!!

Category Menu is in English, so more likely is that, with respect, owners don't really know what they are doing.

I'll drop in on Monday, have a butchers around and report back.

It's not that the krouts hate our food, they just have a dumb perception of it. I had to explain what a Yorkshire Pudding was this morning.

Don't want to put a downer on things, but I don't really see this working out unless some proper changes are made.

First of all, the biggest group of customers will be English-speakers in Germany, therefore, the site should be in English and German.

I realise that the site is new, but the selection of products is quite random and not very varied.

Also some of the prices are a bit random and seem like they have just been guessed. I really would like to see this work as it would be good to not have to buy stuff online that I want from home all the time, but I think some proper changes need to be made.

There are alot of companies in Germany offering the same thing to people, and just because you are based in Munich doesn't mean that people will come to you if they are getting a better deal elsewhere.

Good luck.

Well given the interest people are having there seems to be the possibility of a market? I know they seem to have come and gone but surely there is a market there if you can get the crossover between local custom and the ex-pats. The 'Brit shops' that look to do ok seem to be the ones that do the teas, whiskeys, shortbread and things German's do like. Pretty well no German is going to buy a Frey Bentos pie though. But an ex-pat might.

I wish them luck and will pop my head around the door at some point for sure. Now if they only did Lucocade...

By the looks of it the only difference to P&W is the frozen stuff category which is empty at the moment.

I've been here long enough to manage without most things - there are a few things I do like to pick up at P&W - but I only ever go once or twice a year to stock up on stuff (when the stocks I packed in the suitcase run out - or if I get a sudden craving for something random - and I live a ten minute walk from P&W). But if this new shop can get frozen stuff up and running successfully then I may visit it and visit it more often.

Pretty well no German is going to buy a Frey Bentos pie though.

My half-german / half-British daughter (17) loves Frey Bentos steak & ale pie. But thats only because it was put in front of her the first time - like the name "Yorkshire Pudding" most locals will turn up their noses at the mere sound of it (pudding with roast beef?) but when you serve it they fall over you for seconds...

With the national press the way it is we will never win this battle....

Just been in, nice tidy little shop, with a quite decent selection. I've noticed they've added a few more items to the website now and the owners informed me they'll have Walkers crisps by the middle of theis week.

I'd forgotten what Irn Bru tastes like until today.

will try to pop by at some stage soon.

wonder how the prices compare to P&W I seem to remember they were really expensive. perhaps a bit of competition will keep the prices reasonable.

will send the email link round to a few colleagues...

... why is the website in German?

... Category Menu is in English ...

In fact the website inc. Kategorien is in a strange mixture of German and English. Also, there's no proper Impressum - isn't that required by law?