Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Life in Bensheim

13 posts in this topic

Hello everyone

Do you know anything about the town of Bensheim, whether it's a good place to live and work? I know it's in quite a strategic position- 40km? from Frankfurt, not so far from Mannheim and Heidelberg. I have visited it and I liked it as it looked like a peaceful little town, but will it be too boring? I may be moving to Germany to live with my husband and am trying to find an alternative to the city of Frankfurt.

Thanks to everyone for sharing their tips. I hope to be able to do this in the future.

:)

I used to have a friend who lived there, she was also a foreigner, an Indian. I did visit them a couple of times, the town seemed a small and cozy one. They have wine fests around this time of the year. If you are looking for a quiet German town, it would be the right place. For shopping they used to go to Mannheim and Heidelberg. They don't live there any more, so can't say much.

I know a lot of people who live in Bensheim, usually commuters to South Darmstadt. Bensheim's nice but bland imho, has quite a lot of professionals (as previous) and has some cracking small towns close by, such as Lorsch, and, of course, you are in the Odenwald. There's some big industrial / science employers there (the dental industry sems big there for example).

On the other hand, I'd not over-rate having to position yourself to cover all possible bases across south Hesse, Rhein Main and north BW? You won't actually need access to all those towns. Most people I mentioned have barely set foot in BW, or the Rhein Main towns noth of Darmstadt, like Frankfurt. South Hesse is a bit of its own little world, particularly if work is consuming a lot of time! A lot of people prefer to set up close to where they actually work - or in a bigger town - and this is easier to do here given that renting property is more common than buying. Commuting is not a "given" here, like in SE England.

I mean, sparking is right, it's quiet. It's horses for courses. There are loads of alternatives to FFM, so many fabulous bigger towns round here (as well as the ones you mentioned and D, there's Wiesbaden, Mainz, Asschaffenberg and others) that it really depends on what you want. Price plays a role too - a lot of my mates in B say they are there as it's cheaper than these places.

thanks for your replies swimmer and sparkling. but swimmer don't forget i've still not moved to germany so i don't know what FFM and BW is. i will learn one day!

hope to hear more views because my decision to move to germany is final and i think it will be bensheim. so tell me more!! how can i occupy myself until i've learned my german and got a proper job? thanks everyone

I have lived in Bensheim for 2 years now and feel very settled there. Work brought me here initially and I now own a house here. It really depends what you want - if you are looking for somewhere to bring up kids etc. then it is great. If you want to be making the most of the expat social scene then it is a little too far away from Frankfurt and/or Heidelberg - I have tried to combine the two and it isn't easy! (I end up staying with friends in Frankfurt a lot at weekends as the last train back is too early (around midnight) and I don't always want to drive. I have however been threatening to organise a Bensheim curry night for a while which I will now do in the next few weeks! (I already have interest from expat friends in Darmstadt and Frankfurt).

Why don't you fly over for a weekend prior to moving, hire a car and check out a few of these places yourselves?

If you have any specific questions please feel free to PM me :-)

Ooh, a curry night. If you do organise one, and you're looking for more expats, I'd love to join you. I'm just outside Weinheim so a tad further down the A5.

We've only been to Bensheim shops once - it is small but has a nice feel to it. We do however go swimming there on a regular basis and must say we love the pool. It has one proper pool indoors (seems wide, but not really long. TBH my wife is the one who likes to swim) plus one outside too and has lots for kids to do like a fun pool with lazy river + bubble chairs + waterfall, a tube slide and nice play area outdoors for the summer. Also there is a lake for swimming run by the same people with a little beach. We were at the pool yesterday and heard 3 or 4 other groups speaking English, so there are either quite a few ex-pats there or maybe they travel for the pool as we do.

Would love to try the curry place but the problem we have is with baby-sitting.

Hi legal alien,

have you checked out the Badesee in Bensheim too? It is great for kids - the only slight downside is that you get some noise from the A5!! I was there with my sister and family a couple of months back when they came to visit and her kids (5 and 2) loved it. It might be a bit late for this year though!

Hi Caroline,

Yeah, Badesee was the lake I mentioned but couldn't remember the name. Only got there once this summer but it was fun. We have a lake just outside our town (Bickenbach) which is also good, but very different. It is uncrowded, quiet, tranquil, we can easily cycle there and it is very 'down to earth'. Badesee is cleaner, more professional (they actually have lifeguards) and better for swimming and kids amenities really.

Think you're right though, no more lake swimming until spring :D Still, I went in the English chanel this January so I could be stupid enough...

Hi legal alien,

sorry - if I had read your post properly I would have seen that you had already been to the Badesee!!

I used to live in Bickenbach - 5 years in the Hartenauerstr. Still pop back there now and again to the Italian which isn't bad! Never made it to the lake though!

Hi there,

I stumbled upon this site and saw this post, and i was wondering if you guys are still living here?

I am Indonesian but have been living in Spore half of my life and now...new life begins in Deutschland as i got married to a German and now we r (trying) settling here in Bensheim

Getting a little lonely here due to my inability to converse in German :( and really hope i could find some new friends here

Hi,

Are you still live in Bensheim? I'm from Jakarta Indonesia. Lived in Singapore for 16 years with my family & now moved to Bensheim. Looking forward to hear from you