Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Library scene in Nuremberg and surrounding areas

9 posts in this topic

hi

can anyone comment on what the public library scene is like in and around Nuernberg? for example, how large are they? what are the requirements to obtain a membership, if there are any english materials, what their operating hours are like, etc..

Thanks!

There is an English-Language library at the German-American Institute (DAI)-- http://www.amerikahaus-nuernberg.de/. The DAI is near the Hauptbahnhof... there's a map on the site. This will be your best source for English books.

The Stadtbibliothek Nürnberg (http://www.stadtbibliothek.nuernberg.de/) has several locations, the main one being near the Cinecitta. Adult membership is €12 per year. There's a downloadable PDF of English information about the library, but I don't know anything about their English language collection.

I don't know if you've been yet but the Stadtbibliothek Nürnberg is fine. I joined today and it has a reasonable English section - even some kid/youth books (large numbers of Harry Potter in there) and seems like the German section is well stocked.

See attachment, which is the opening times of the library taken with my cell phone (German opening times are so confusing I always take pictures because I can't remember).

post-85949-12560237080609_thumb.jpg

Does anyone know if there are English novels in these libraries , for example Author - Robert Ludlum , Robin Cook , John Grisham? Or is it only serious and tedious literature kinds?

The English(fiction) section of the main library is nicely stacked. It took me a few years to read everything I wanted to read. The children section is not bad either. I would urge to become familiar with the online system.

Non-fiction books are mixed with the German section.