Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Processing times to convert a driver's license

8 posts in this topic

Does anyone knows how long it takes to have your driver's license converted to a German one? I have submitted all the necessary paperwork as per the requirements to convert my Canadian Driver's license to a German one. I have been waiting since March to receive the German license... I have been to the office a couple of times and they told me that it takes long as they have a number of applications to process. They told me "Sie müssen Geduld haben". I have even talked to the manager at window 12 at the main office in Berlin, 219 Friedrichstraße. She told me to wait but I don't know how long. I cannot drive anymore with my Canadian license since six months are up. I am only allowed to drive in Germany for the first six months and then I should have my license converted to a German one, which I did in this case.

Also, one point to be noted that one of the requirements to convert your foreign license is that you have to be living in Germany for six months which I had to complete before applying for a German license. After that, you cannot drive anymore and cannot get a German license for a long time. This is really frustrating and unacceptable. I know many Germans living in Toronto who have applied for Canadian driver's license and it took a day for them to get a Canadian license... no bullshit no bureaucracy!

Does anymore have experienced anything similar? How can I take it up with the authorities at a higher level?

I appreciate any input from anyone in the forum.

Does anyone knows how long it takes to have your driver's license converted to a German one?

Normally 4-6 Weeks.

I have been waiting since March to receive the German license

Go back to the Office (Or perhaps a different one) and tell them you have been waiting for 6 months, which is not normal.

Make them check into why its taking so long. If you don't get anywhere with the window person, ask for a manager.

This long wait is unacceptable and not normal. Don't take "You must wait" for an answer any longer.. Get a real answer.

Thanks for the reply. I have been to the office and talked to the Manager and told her that it is unacceptable. She told me that she simply has many files and it is taking them really long due to the shortage of staff etc... which is their problem and a standard reply.

If you have your receipt from when you paid for the German license, I would suggest carrying that in your wallet when you drive, for now. I don't know if it makes a difference if you were to get pulled over, but at least you have something to show them that you paid for it..and when it was applied for...it's their fault you don't have it yet. I carried my receipt around for 3 weeks until my German license was ready, as my U.S. one expired before the German one came.

Or if you are really concerned about it, ask the Ordnungsamt exactly what you are supposed to show/tell the police in the meantime. It would be interesting to hear what their answer is...wink.gif

The receipt won't do anything for you if you are pulled over. You can (And Should) however request/demand/get a Temp. License.

Its basically an official paper stating what classes you have on you lice, and that its currently being "Worked on". Get it from the

DL office as well..

I actually called the Canadian Embassy and asked for the contact person who is responsible for dealing with German authorities to make such contracts. I managed to speak to the right person and she told me to provide all the details like the office name, contact person and the telephone number etc. I then went to the Führerschein office and talked to the manager there and told her that the person from the Canadian Embassy wants to speak to you. According to the contract between Canadian and German authorities it should take a maximum of 6 weeks. They told me that my license will be ready by the end of next week. It is unacceptable and the German authorities were not fullfilling the requirement according to the contract.

Anyway, if anyone of you have such a problem in future, please contact the Canadian Embassy and let them talk to the German authorities. Please don't accept the answer "Sie müssen Geduld haben...".

I have also contacted the authories in the Ministry of Transportation Ontario, Canada where Germans get their drivers' licenses exchanged for a Canadian one. I have mentioned my situation and wanted them to escalate it to the right authorities.

It's is taking around 6 months at the moment in Berlin, I have currently a Canadian friend waiting for his license.