Haftpflichtversicherung (liability insurance)

214 posts in this topic

I was recently asked by a colleague whether I have liability insurance (Privathaftpflichtversicherung), and they were rather shocked that I didn't. To be honest, I've never heard of such a thing: insurance in case you (for example) hit someone on your bike or knock someone down the stairs.

In Canada, it is required to have liability insurance for you car, but I don't know of anyone who has insurance for normal day-to-day activities.

Is this just an example of how the different risks that people accept different cultures (for example, almost nobody wears a bike helmet in the city, but in Canada, most people do), or are there really more reasons you might need insurance here? Or have I been living under a rock and everyone in Canada has it too?

Germans are well into private liability insurance. I wouldn't buy it but my ex put me on his "husband and husband" policy. :rolleyes:

If your kid accidently puts a football through a neighbours window, right thing to do imvho would be for you to put your hand in your pocket pay for the glass and some neighbour to put it in for a few quid.

Or the neighbour claim off their household policy.

But here you claim the money off the insurance comapyn for your personal liability --> increased costs for everybody.

Check out this thread on different types of German insurance. Plenty of references to the liability insurance. If your German's not up to snuff, plenty of peeps on here have bought policies...lots of examples on the threads. I had a mate help me navigate and bought HUK Coburg. Otherwise I would've rung up Holger Kretschmar, TT's insurance man.

You should also consider personal LEGAL insurance...some very good advice from our YL6:

I think Rechtschutzversicherung (Legal insurance) is critical for foreigners. It's not cheap, but it save tons of hassle when you get into a battle with almost anyone - the store who delivered faulty furniture, your neighbour who plays the drums all night, your landlord who says you can't install satellite TV, your employer who wants to fire you, or the guy who says you ran into his car... Many foreigners are simply too naieve to appreciate the risks and uncertainties of foreign law and assume they will never get into this type of situation until the letter from another lawyer arrives. Germany are almost as bad as the US for litigation...

HTH,

jml

Go and get it immediately. A mate of mine didnt have any and had an accident on his mountain bike last year when he collided with another cyclist. He is still paying the other persons hospital fees, his solicitor and a few other significant bills. I think so far it has cost him around €5,000.

I know someone got run over by a tram, and had to pay the hospital fees for the whiplash injuries of the tram passengers out of her own pocket because she didn't have Haftpflichtversicherung... So it's worth getting, it's not going to cost you very much.

Actually yeah, my companie's policy is that if I am in an accident and off sick they will sue the preson resposbile like in a car accident for to recoup my, well their loss of earnings. :o

It's not very expensive and very useful especially if you have kids. Our child (then very young) threw a wooden brick at a brand new G4 powerbook and wrecked it. It was all paid for. Also, my husband smashed a glass cabinet while playing billiards (stupid place to have one). That was paid for too.

I'm not exactly sure but I think we pay a couple of hundred euros/year.

It's not very expensive and very useful ...

I'm not exactly sure but I think we pay a couple of hundred euros/year.

i pay around €50 a year if not less for a single policy. stepped on bf's glasses, insurance paid for the replacement. bf put a foot through a friends tractor, his insurance paid for it. it is cheap and is one insurance you should have.

i also have rechtschutz/mietschutzversicherung and pay €110 a year w/bf included.

i have a german friend who is into this stuff who speaks perfect english so he helped me out. if anyone is interested, i could pass info along.

Yes, @elfenstar, please give us the details! I need to get this soon! Thanks!

can recommend this insurance agent:

Holger Kretzschmar

Tel.: 08141 404242

Fax.: 08141 404243

Mobil.: 0171 3320720

mailto:Holger.Kretzschmar@ruv.de

He used to (still does?) advertise on TT - and you can contact him in english (his wife is native speaker).

Also, some apartment / flat rental contracts REQUIRE that you have personal liabilty insurance . mine did.

Good cheap insurance indeed. Not just for kids or lousy pool playing husbands :P , but for pets too. If your dog or cat runs out into the street and causes an accident or they jump up on an old lady and cause her to fall and break a hip...etc.

In Germany, don't leave home without it. ;)

Based on what everyone said, it sounds like something I should look into.

I'm curious, though. Would you also take out insurance back home? Is this just a "when in Rome" response, or is there something different in Germany that actually makes it more worthwhile?

I have never heard of this in Canada...not sure how we are covered in normal circumstances...but generally we only have health, household, auto and life insurance that I am aware of.

Maybe there is something I too am missing? No one I know has anything like Haftpflichtversicherung or the other (Rechtschutz).

I'm curious, though. Would you also take out insurance back home? Is this just a "when in Rome" response, or is there something different in Germany that actually makes it more worthwhile?

i think private liability insurance in the u.s. is too damn expensive. think of all the lawsuits that go on. besides if you want to sue, usually the lawyers take on the case for "free", but take 50% of the winnings. that kind of legal system doesn't exist (yet) in d-land.

No one I know has anything like Haftpflichtversicherung or the other (Rechtschutz).

bad, blimeygirl, very bad. who do ya know then? ;) read any article anywhere about insurance in germany and that is the #2 most important insurance after health insurance. most advisors won't recommend you get legal liability insurance, but haftpflicht is just too cheap to not go without. as an intern i HAD to have it. but it is not mandatory.

i have legal insurance too cause i had some serious probs with my old company and had that "i'm a foreinger, they'll fire me unjustly and i won't know what to do" paranoia so i signed up for a single policy at €62 a year.

In the states, it is usually included in you home ownership policy. You know, when someone uninvited comes to your door and falls over one of your kids toys, etc. and then they sue you. Here it is just a separate deal.

Sorry...to clarify...no one I know in Canada has it...that is what I was trying to get across to MartinH because he asked about outside of Germany.

Here in Munich we most definitely have Haftplicht...we were told that I am now covered as we are married...but they still have not sent any paperwork to confirm...ho hum.

Not sure about whether those type of 'accidents' are covered by all insurance policies back home. For example, my mother lives in an apartment and has household contents insurance but if anyone trips over her carpet or something...doubt there is coverage for that. I am not aware of what that insurance would be in Canada...but curious to know...:)

Sorry...to clarify...no one I know in Canada has it...

oh sorry, heh heh. :rolleyes: i know in the states you hope someone does not break their foot on your lawn. they could sue and you would have to sue back to avoid paying cause if you did, your insurance went out the roof!

i remember reading this in focus awhile back:

SINGLES -->

Haftpflicht absolut notwendig

Hausrat sinnvoll

Unfall sinnvoll

Berufsunfähigkeit* absolut notwendig

Risiko-Leben überflüssig

Kapital-Leben evtl. als Geldanlage

Rechtsschutz weniger wichtig

MARRIED COUPLES

Hausrat sinnvoll

Unfall sinnvoll

Risiko-Leben sinnvoll

FAMILIES WITH KIDS

Hausrat sinnvoll

Unfall sinnvoll

Risiko-Leben absolut notwendig

I´m with the Versicherungs Kammer Bayern. I pay 83.29€ per year. I signed up directly through my bank. I think most banks have an agreement with an insurer and take care of the paperwork for you. Some landlords will not allow you to rent w/o this coverage.

Claiming on Haftpflichtversicherung policies is a popular German sport, especially among, ahem, younger people. I drop my mobile phone, you "admit" you accidentally pushed me, I claim on your insurance, and hey-presto I get a new mobile phone. 6 months later I need a new stereo, so you "accidentally" fall over it with a beer in your hand and wreck it, and I get a new stereo on your insurance.

Not that I'd encourage any criminal act of subterfuge, of course, but just so long as you don't make too many claims...

I've also known departing tenants use it for claiming "damage" in an apartment that was holding back their Kaution from repayment

I really did drop a fairly expensive computer monitor in an office a few years ago, and was almost trampled in the rush of Germans offering me their insurance to claim on as if they had done it...

YL6

BTW - the Versicherungskammer Bayern is one of the best...

VKB is part of the Sparkasse group and therefore operates o a not-for-much-profit basis. Cheaper than the blood sucker banks usually.