Looking for some English tea

21 posts in this topic

Hello

Stereotypical British expat question, it's my only bit of home I miss ( well, that and UK breakfast sausages, but I've given up on that one!)

Where can I buy English tea bags? is there a shop in town that sells stuff like this? PG Tips etc, not that Twinings rubbish. I want Builders Tea!

Thanks very much

the secret is a good Asian shop in Berlin always stocks PG-Tips and the price ain't too bad either

Try Roberts shop I and a lot off other Brits here recommend it

http://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=118450

"Your Piece of Britain in Berlin"

Lahnstr 85 in Neuköln

How about in Sri Lanka - or do they grow tea leaves now in the UK? :P

Sorry - yep, any Asian store will stock your PG tips.

cheers guys

Thanks for those, reckon I'll venture to the shop at some point, now to find an Indian shop in the P-Berg area, I'm sure there is one, the area seems to have everything.

mrs grampus is a tea addict. That isn't too strong a term to use: the lady needs her tea! And, like the OP, it has to be "normal" tea. Other infusions need not apply. But we struck lucky practically from Day 1 here.

We found that the Ceylon-Assam mix tea-bags from Norma are, well, norma-l! Never needed care packages from Blighty since!

The Norma website has a branch finder (in German, natürlich): http://norma-online.de/_de_/_filialfinder_/

hi Lamma

In Prenzlauer Berg there is a few tea shops you can try, and a couple that are Asia laden that definately sell PG Tips:

Tee Welt - Milastrasse

Asia laden - between Milastrasse and eberswalde (next to the Cafe /Florist)

Asia Laden - Gleimstrasse

Tee shop - short walk down Danziger Str and on the left, coming from Eberswalde str U bahn.

thanks very much, that's my neck of the woods, I live on Dunkerstrasse ( although judging by some of the visitors to the park during the day they really should think about renaming it Drunkerstrasse.

:)

The big asian supermarket at hackescher markt (out the back of the Irish bar) has PG tips - although I'd give the Norma ones a go!

In a pinch you can use any German tea bags labelled English Breakfast or Assam-Ceylon. The trick is just to use 2 at a time in a mug. The tea is the same, there's just not much in a bag because they are designed to produce a weak cuppa that you can drink without milk. So double up and you have at least as good a brew as cheap UK supermarket bags.

Fellow tea addict.

The Asia-Mekong Markt at Schoenhauseralle U/S-bahn Station (across from the Netto) stocks PG Tips. They also have a limited assortment of Indian products and spices.

Try Roberts shop I and a lot off other Brits here recommend it

http://www.toytownge...howtopic=118450

"Your Piece of Britain in Berlin"

Lahnstr 85 in Neuköln

Seconded, if you want English tea, go to an English shop

How about the internet! When i came out to germany two years ago one of my large boxes was filled with nothing BUT tea! - and only two brands, "Yorkshire" tea, and Roohiboos "Red bush". i know that i can get the yorkshire on-line when I run out!

I haven't been back to the UK this year, so my tea supply ran out, and I wasn't looking to pay over the odds for PG bl00dy tips (far weaker than it was a few years ago by the way) at some expat shop.

Thanks to a very friendly neighbour, I've now finished testing nine different teas available from a tea shop here in Germany. Specifically Hemmesser Tee Kontor in Bad Neuenahr (the samples were free, and it's a great shop, well worth visiting, they are also online and deliver from: http://www.hemmesser-tee-kontor.de).

The winning tea is definitely good enough, not to panic buy tea in the UK anymore. I got there by blind testing each tea a few times and recording the score separately. I was (probably unduly) pleased at the consistency of the scoring, and also the clear patterns (Assam being constantly more popular than Ceylon for example)...

..oh my God, I've just realised how German all of this makes me sound!

Anyway, here are my results:

1st place: Kenia FOP Tinderet (a clear winner)

2= Assam Namdang

2= Assam First Flush Orangajuli

4: Assam Mokalbari Golden Tippy

5= Schwarzer Tee Ceylon Special Ratnapura

5= English Breakfast Tea

7: Schwarzer Tee Ceylon OP Blackwood

8: Ceylon OP Shawlands

9: Ostfriesland Auslese (no surprise, but seriously don't even bother) 

18 hours ago, dstanners said:

I wasn't looking to pay over the odds for PG bl00dy tips (far weaker than it was a few years ago by the way) at some expat shop.

For those who still want "PG bl00dy tips" :lol: you can find large catering packs of teabags in various Asian/Indian stores around Berlin at normal prices, for instance Zora Supermarkt, Kottbusser Damm 93. 

I saw it in Real yesterday, well over €6. I never particularly liked it even in the past.

I generally buy Ostfriesen bags or leaves, nothing fancy. I drink tea black anyway and I think I've just got used to weaker tea over the years. 

Can't beat a proper Irish made cuppa though!