Living in Offenbach

50 posts in this topic

I lived there for more than a year. I never had a problem with security. But it isnt a great place to live. you are on the Ubahn line so that will be better. You can go into Frankfurt for fun. Sign up as a member of the Yahoo group Frankfurt 'n Motion. That will help you build up a social network immediately. It is English.

But it isnt a great place to live. you are on the Ubahn line so that will be better. You can go into Frankfurt

Since when has Offenbach had a U-Bahn line?? I think you mean S-Bahn and Regional Express Lines (At Offenbach Hbf)

It's not that bad in Offenbach... It's right in the flight approach to Frankfurt airport though..

It is, but I rarely ever heard the planes overhead. There still at 2k+ feet over Offenbach.

Hi all,

We are moving from Fuerth to Offenbach soon and need your help! From reading posts here on the forum, it seems that Offenbach is not the ideal place for us to settle. I was wondering if you could recommend places to live that are within half an hour commuting distance (public transport or own car) of Offenbach (hubby has to go there for work). In Fuerth we were living in a house in a residential area, and I think we were a little spoiled because we had everything within a few minutes walking distance - ubahn, s-bahn and shops. On top of that it was a really safe area. We have a toddler and would love to be in a residential area with other families. Our budget is around 1250 warm but we could go a little higher if we really fell in love with the area.

I've done searches on immoscout with a 20km radius and all, and found some nice houses, but have no idea what the area is like.

Help anyone? (I have read through other posts on the site and found some tips but most are to do with living within commuting distance from Frankfurt!)

Thanks in advance,

Kish.

Much of Offenbach really is a shithole, regardless of the above posts from people (People that still live outside the cities limits)

Your best off looking into places outside Offenbach. Places such as Bieber, Obershausen, Heusenstamm, Rembrucken and Hainhausen.

With Public transport or driving your can live a fare bit distance away and still stay within the 30min limit. Places like Hanau, Rodgau

Dietzenbach, Nieder-Roden, Roedermark Eppertshausen and even Langen will also fit that window.

Thank you Darkknight! That was very helpful! I haven't heard good things about Hanau either (this was from another expat site), but I'll get started on the list you kindly provided. Any more tips for a young family with a toddler?

Thanks again,

Kish.

Not Downtown Hanau, One of the outter villages.. I wouldn't live in DT Hanau for anything.

Not sure if you are also open to living in an apartment - if so you could always try the new(ish) apartment buildings by the river in Saschenhausen or directly opposite in Ostend. They are very family friendly with a lot of young families around, quite and walking distance to both city centre Frankfurt and Offenbach. Of course you pay more for that but you could get a two bed place on your budget

I find many of the posts here hilarious. We recently moved to Offenbach from Sachsenhausen, and to be honest, I really like it here. We moved to downtown Offenbach as well, and sure, it is no Schweizer Straße from Sachsenhausen, but then again, it is no worse than Alt Sachsenhausen. We were looking to buy an apartment in the central areas of Frankfurt but couldn't find the quality of building we were after in our budget.

Unless of course we wanted to live further out in Frankfurt or in a horrible Frankfurt neighbourhood. And yes, there are neighbourhoods in Frankfurt I would much rather not live in than Offenbach and are much worse. Offenbach as a whole is not as nice as Frankfurt on a whole, that is true, but in reality terms, it is basically a suburb of Frankfurt anyway. It takes me 12minutes from Konstablerwache to our front door with the S-bahn, which is excellent, and everything I need is in easy walking distance anyway. It seems were are not the only ones, as since everyone moved into our new build apartment at the same time, we know all of them, and many are professionals (including two bankers) from Frankfurt moving for the same reason.

As for crime, that is actually not true. Frankfurt and Offenbach are in the same bracket as far as burglary is concerned. We had to transfer our home insurance across and the insurance company said there was no difference. For other crime, no part of Offenbach seems as rough as the Bahnhofsviertel in Frankfurt and it is simply nonsense that there are areas you can't go to in the day time. Sorry, but anyone who says that must be timid as a lamb.

Then of course you get the people who don't like it because there are immigrants here. Well, I would rather live amongst immigrants than racists and that is exactly what these people are. They tell me the same thing, but forget that I also am an immigrant because I am white. What they really mean to say is that there are folk of darker complextion who also live in Offenbach. But to be honest, I like the mix here. There are some magnificent ethnic supermarkets where you can get great food from all around the world.

If your company is sending you to an apartment around the Marktplatz, you should not worry about it. For a start, that is a cool area of town, with some great cafe's, restaurants and bars. The market itself is one of the best I have seen in Germany (and even Frankfurters will say that) Offenbach is gritty, and for the most part it isn't terribly beautiful, but it is not dangerous. It has been improving steadily over the last few years and is better than many parts of Frankfurt. You won't feel hassled or unsafe, unless of course the sight of the odd dark skinned person puts you off and I hope that isn't the case.

Sure, would I prefer to live in say Bornheim? Yes. But I would probably live in a far inferior apartment in Bornheim for what I could afford. Then again, I would rather live in Offenbach than in many Frankfurt neighbourhoods like Oberrad, Niederrad, Griesheim, Höchts or anywhere outside the cool inner neighbourhoods.

Also, keep in mind that Frankfurters and Offenbachers have a lot of competition between them. A Frankfurter will never have much nice to say about Offenbach, and quite frankly, Offenbachers are the same for Frankfurt.

Sure, this is only my opinion. But it is from someone who spent the last decade living in Sachsenhausen and decided to move to Offenbach. And from someone who knows other Frankfurters who also moved here.

Hi! I don't find it very nice in Offenbach, but it's too not something really bad. Since last year summer I moved to Offenbach Rumpenheim.

It's really friendly area. Most i love the fact that it's easy to reach the river in 10minutes by feet. Really nice to spend there some time just sunbathing in summer, going for a walk or making bicycle tours. It's easy to make some shopping to fill the fridge, to visit doctors if you get ilness. Here is nice bus connection to the Offenbach city in ~10-15min. During the week we are working in Frankfurt, which is easy to reach by bus and S-bahn from Offenbach center. Sometimes we simply use bicycles to visit some shops in Mühlheim am Main.

I wouldn't really like to live in Frankfurt, somewhere near the street cause the price list is quiet high in Frankfurt when you wish to live in nice green area. Here we have a feeling that we are far away from old city noise, but together it's easy to reach everything :)

Thanks for all the responses! ovbg, I'm not worried about the ethnicity of the people (I am Indian!) but I am worried about the general safety of the area. Nearly everyone I have spoken to says that Offenbach is not safe. I would rather live a little out of the way in an environment that is safe for me and my family. This may sound timid of me, but there you go. Thank you for all your input. At the very least, you have made me feel better about venturing into Offenbach every now and then!

Hi Kishmish,

You should certainly live where you feel most comfortable. But none of what anyone has said regarding Offenbach being unsafe is actually true. 90% of it is based on hearsay, and all of that is pretty much based on perception because of the greater ethnic mix... dark coloured people make me feel unsafe, thus the place must be unsafe.

Offenbach is rated the same as Frankfurt with the insurance companies which is a very good indicator. If they even thought that there was more crime in the area, they would certainty respond without any hesitation with higher premiums.

The only places you will certainly feel "safe" is in the quiet, almost village like towns that surround the city. If this is the lifestyle you want though, then go for it, it can be good for kids. Many people are happy in these areas :o ) But do keep in mind that they are predominantly white and far more conservative areas than the city centers.

I would really suggest you go and walk around there a bit, see if you feel comfortable. Go to a park and see what kind of people are there. Go at different times of the day. You will know if you feel unsafe.

imho, lots of the places that people talk about being less appealing and less safe really are just more international with less white people. We are a German/USA family that recently moved from Panama. We are used to living with people of various shades of brown. We have met lots of great people around the world. We moved to Höchst which is also one of those less recommended areas---but we love it. I have lived in uber-German neighborhoods and I was concerned about my children not making friends--many Germans are very critical of others. My son found boys to play soccer with in the park after school (most didn't speak much German, but soccer is soccer). I think mixed neighborhoods are friendlier. We also like the ethnic restaurants. Some of those 'Turks' others mentioned were probably Greeks and we love Greek food! I wouldn't want to live in a pure German neighborhood with the neighbors watching and complaining if the kids make noise playing or the trash containers are brought in promptly enough or the yard isn't done to their expectations, or in an apartment, the stairs are swept and mopped diligently enough, the sidewalk not swept and a million other petty complaints...

Another reason some prefer center city Frankfurt is for the nightlife which we want a family area not a hot action pubs and girls area.

Hi Thekla,

You do have a point. At the moment all our neighbours are German, but they are all lovely. They keep to themselves (no snooping through my trash!) and one couple regularly watches our son when we need it. I don't mind the ethnicity of the area I live in (black/white/brown/whatever!), the main issue for me is feeling safe in a family-friendly area. For example, we leave our bikes next to the front door all the time, without fear of them being stolen. I can confidently walk home alone from the ubahn at 1am without anxiety. Things like that. I would have preferred a house but rental prices seem to be much higher in central Germany than here so I don't mind getting an apartment as long as it is spacious enough. Any more tips on where I should be looking? Are there areas in Offenbach that are 'safer'?

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond!

Kish.

For example, we leave our bikes next to the front door all the time, without fear of them being stolen.

Actually, I would advise against doing so in Offenbach as well as Frankfurt, regardless of the neighbourhood. Bicycle theft is pretty frequent everywhere; here in Frankfurt over the years at least two bikes have been stolen from our yard, and from time to time one sees half-dismantled bikes chained to a lamp post in the city (the missing parts have gone to a needy person). So during the night, bikes should be kept indoors.

I can confidently walk home alone from the ubahn at 1am without anxiety.

Confidence is always good, however if you want to minimize risks, it would be better to take a taxi at such hours – again in both cities.

In general, I don't think Offenbach is unsafe, it's just better to take precautions in such situations, like everywhere. The atmosphere is perhaps rougher and poorer than many parts of Frankfurt.

BTW, I reread the earlier posts, and my post #10 was an attempt at humour (5 reddies is my neg record, I think), as a reaction to the previous post by Aschaffenburgboy, which I'm pretty sure was also meant hyperbolically and got negged as well. Nevermind. To sum it up, bad reputations of cities and neighbourhoods often persist while the area has already improved.

^^Agreed. I lived in a rather posh part of Sachsenhausen prior to Offenbach, and would never leave my bike there over night. We did have a bike stand, with camera surveillance, and even then it wasn't safe. A friends bike didn't last the evening he was over for dinner before coming downstairs to find it in pieces.

In the smaller towns around Frankfurt, this is a different story but it the main cities no place is safe really for bikes overnight.

I got no idea how I got into this forum- actually I was just looking for the best dim sum in frankfurt- but as a 20-year-old who is born and bred in Offenbach I kind of feel obliged to throw my two cents in here.

I'm a daughter of those priorly by you described immigrants who often asked herself: from all these beautiful cities in this world why the hell did my parents choose this place? so I have to admit that I find it a little bit amusing why anyone from the states would come here but well the only advice I can give is: reside in Offenbach, live somewhere else. The rents here are cheap but the atmosphere in this city is just aweful and so is almost any kind of offered service in here. Don't be puzzled over the unfriendliness of many. Many of the salespeople, receptionists and clerks in Offenbach are really rude (not all though). I know it's common sense to be friendly to your customers and offer a good job but the attitude here is often more like "well you can go and buy it somewhere else if you don't like it"

I've also always had a VERY hard time finding good physicians (any kind of), hairdressers,beauticians etc. because most of them do a lousy job here. Most people I know work,dine, shop and socialize in Frankfurt, Obertshausen etc..

I might come of as a nitpicky, arrogant person to you but really I could share hundreds of crazy stories with you what I and people I know have been through due to many physicians and clerks in this town. And I'm not talking about particular incidents.

There are also only few restaurants I'd recommend e.g. all the ones at Wilhelmsplatz are quite good, Tri Am, Pizzaria Tevere, Berliner...

I could go on like this for hours- if anyone has a question concerning a good dentist, school, bakery or whatever you can ask/pm me.

As for the safety in Offenbach..I've never been assaulted, mugged, robbed or anything. Walking in the streets/taking the sbahn after midnight as a female is not an impossibility at all! but it's still as risky as anywhere else in the world. I'd even dare to say that street harassment and cat calling in Germany are less frequent than in the US.

Lauterborn, Waldhof and the city center are however areas that are rather unsafe at night.

And yes bikes and motorbikes get stolen very frequently. As someone who grew up with the immigrant youth of this town it is very common to steal bikes especially if yours has just been stolen. There is a criminal youth in Offenbach but I feel like it has improved in the last few years. Most of the people in Offenbach are however down-to-earth, friendly people although I absolutely agree with what Thekla said about many of the Germans here!

Thanks again everyone. Here's where we are so far - we are actively looking in Bad Vilbel, Obertshausen and Dreieich. Offenbach itself is not completely off the list as we saw some nice areas (not very many though) and Bieber as well. With all our criteria (child-friendly, close to public transport, close to work, costs etc) the first three I mentioned really did fit the bill. I'm looking forward to moving to a more cosmopolitan part of Germany and making new friends! I'll post again once we're settled but once again, thank you for all your input!