Living in Offenbach

50 posts in this topic

Hello,

My company is relocating me to our office in Offenbach on a 1 year training mission. They are providing me with a furnished apartment in Offenbach near the Marketplatz u-bahn station. I have visited our office on two prior occasions for a very short stay but I was wondering what is living like in Offenbach like? I understand that the crime rate in Offenbach is pretty high as compared to the rest of FFM and that Offenbach has a high % population of Turks, Central Europeans, etc.

Many thanks

Hi,

Offenbach is an absolute dump. Located 10 minutes from Fft. The population can only be described as multi-cultural. Far better to live in Fft-Sachsenhausen or Fft-Bornheim.

Hey, it's not that bad! Around the Marktplatz you have all shopping facilities, it's close to the Büsing Palais and the river Main. And it's close to Frankfurt though I think Sachsenhausen is overrated. Your collegues will be able to give you more information where to dine and wine, my experiences are too outdated. Yes, Offenbach is the poor cousin of Frankfurt, but it's not a Ghetto all over. There are some very poor areas (which you will find in Frankfurt too), but the city made some nice efforts to polish the inner city area where you will be located. And should expats really comment about the multicultural population? Give it a try and keep an open mind.

We've been hearing good things about Mühlheim, which is beyond Offenbach on the S8/9 line. Does anyone have any thoughts on that area?

I agree with bagatelle. Offenbach's relatively poor and not particularly scenice, I'd not choose to live there, although I assume it's actually OK if you want to. And that it ill-behoves some immigrants (us) to turn our noses up at others. Go live in Offenbach OP and you are just like the other immigant there, really not different because you are not Turkish or "central European" (which is exactly what Germans are of course).

We've been hearing good things about Mühlheim ...

From real estate agents? :D TBH, I haven't been there, but air traffic noise seems to be a problem in Mülheim (it is situated in the approach path).

Re Offenbach: People from Frankfurt traditionally look down on Offenbach, so part of the bad reputation is due to that. But there are nice areas in Offenbach, too, e.g. the Westend with old villas.

is like mixing Iraq, Afghanistan, Iran, Turkey, Saudi Arabia in one spot, but only their exiles, people that were too bad to be in prison there. You will hear the call to prayer every few hours, and when there is a soccer match and Germany beats one of those countries, or they beat Germany riots will break out, and people will get shot, and the ambulance... it just won't be able to get to you. You will be there on the sidewalk with half your brain hanging out, and then someone will just rob you, and now you won't have money to pay for a cab to get to the hospital, not that it matters because they don't have hospitals there. And then, another sucker will come and steal your gray matter and leave you there stupid without money, and dying. But to be fair, It does have good shopping.

is like mixing Iraq, Afghanistan, Iran, Turkey, Saudi Arabia in one spot, but only their exiles, people that were too bad to be in prison there. [i]You will hear the call to prayer every few hours, and when there is a soccer match and Germany beats one of those countries, or they beat Germany [i]riots will break out, and people will get shot, and the ambulance... it just won't be able to get to you. You will be there on the sidewalk with half your brain hanging out, and then someone will just rob you, and now you won't have money to pay for a cab to get to the hospital, not that it matters because they don't have hospitals there. And then, another sucker will come and steal your gray matter and leave you there stupid without money, and dying. But to be fair, It does have good shopping.

Hmmmmm - are you sure you mean Offenbach???? Or are you trying to be sarcastic? Don't scare the poor guy, he will not move to Detroit, Johannesburg or Beirut.

As someone who has actually lived in Offenbach, yes.. This place is full of middle eastern exiles.. There are many parts of the city where you just don't

go at night (Or during the day). The only decent parts of the city are out East/South East in Bieber. The most of the rest of the city is Ghetto.

Swimmer wrote

And that it ill-behoves some immigrants (us) to turn our noses up at others

Why?

This board is about making sense of Germany and adapting to it. Immigrants who attempt to contribute to and respect the host culture have every right to feel skeptical about those who make no effort or even encourage anti-social hostility to it. The only definition of "us" I can think of (since there are people of all nationalities on the board) is we fall into the former category rather than the latter.

is like mixing Iraq, Afghanistan, Iran, Turkey, Saudi Arabia in one spot...

Don't forget Mullet-istan. They seeem to have plenty of immigrants from there. Just dress like Hulk Hogan or the drummer from Whitesnake...you'll fit in perfectly.

I would love to know who the person is who is giving out negative reputation marks for people describing Offenbach? Hello?

Dont listen to everyone here. They make it out to be worse then it is. I live just outside of Offenbach in a town called Obertshausen, but spend a lot of time hanging out in Offenbach. So as a typical Californian you would figure I'd be dead by now. Nope you just need to think smart, for example don't leave your car unlocked or windows open. Don't have the typical American mentality of we are the best, otherwise that will cause problems. But really it's ok, although I came from San Diego, so we had the ghetto's too, mexican border. As to Muehlheim, it's a big town, lots of industry in the area, not much to do there though.

Dont listen to everyone here. They make it out to be worse then it is.

To be fair, not everyone is saying that....just that there are better places...which is borne out by the places we actually choose, which are not Offenbach! You kind of back this up yourself because there are plenty of places round here that don't come with the "just don't leave this unlocked" caveats you use, which give a far more negative impression of Offenbach than anything I said about it, for instance!!

I lived in a part of London that was similar, I was fine there, but it was also one of the "downmarket" areas and there were also better places.

No doubt the OP will do fine.

Yea but when you think about it, it is really big city knowledge, its like those who portray Frankfurt to be a ritzy place, hello two words bahnhofs viertel.

Nah, Ostend. Which does fit the above sarcastic description of Offenbach almost to a tee... (except the Albanians there don't shoot each other, instead it'll be manly fights with knives).

hello two words bahnhofs viertel.

Bahnhofsviertel is one word, but let's not quibble over that.

Not may people live there, so not really relevant when talking about places to call home.

Even the junkies and the prostitution are well-organised, so it is a lot safer to walk through than so many cities elsewhere.

In my opinion the immigrants there are a stabilizing influence - they have set up businesses, a mosque and more. They make it a fun area to go to.

Gallus is the adjoining residential area and has a bad rep locally, but it's all relative - Frankfurt is amazingly safe.

A German work colleague rants that he lived in Offenbach for a year and his place was burgled 3 times, but that's hardly enough evidence to write the place off.