Where to buy clotted cream in Germany

27 posts in this topic

Can anybody point me in the right direction in my local German supermarket,I´m after some clotted cream for my home made scones at the weekend.Is there a german equivelant ??? Or close enough to not matter !!

I would try your biggest fancy food store where you live. In Munich, you can buy it in the grocery part of the Kaufhof department store. I'm sure where you live has its equivalents.

I've never seen clotted cream in any market here in Munich. A number of stores including Hit carry Oetker's double cream ("Crème double" in a yellow 200ml container). You'd have to take that and heat it to clot.

woof.

Kaufhof Galeria in Munich's Marienplatz sells it occasionally - around December time I think. Its not in a traditional square flat dish but in a jar but its pretty bloody lovely nonetheless.

I bought some in August last year at Kaufhof Marienplatz Munich, it was brandy flavoured. You should find it there.

I got a little pot for 2 EUROs from The Victorian House / The Sconery in Fünf Höfe, Munich last week.

Munich's Victorian House and branches incl. The Sconery in the Fünf Höfe sell it as does Kaufhof Rotkreuzplatz (normal and brandy-flavoured).

I got a little pot for 2 EUROs from The Victorian House / The Sconery in Fünf Höfe, Munich last week.

Crikey. For 2 Euros? Surely that would not have been enough even for 1 splee would it?

Galeria Kaufhof in FFM sells it - in small milk-churn-shaped glass jars. Not cheap, but the real stuff and not flavoured with Brandy or nowt.

>>Can't clotted cream just be substituted bei 'Schmand'?

Nope. It's made by a special process that involves heating the cream to a certain temperature (I think c. 40C), causing it to set but not fully "cook".

K

@ Crawlie hee, yes we managed to get a rather thin layer on a round of scones each.

Thanks for the tips,I live in Bielefeld so I´m off at the weekend to have a scout round the Grocery dept. of Karstadt(It´s where I get my Lemon curd,Golden syrup and Alpen musli)Maybe I´ll be in luck,failing that it´s going to have to be Dr Oetker Double cream all the way !!!

[adminmerge][/adminmerge]

Does anybody know if Clotted cream exists in Germany under another name? I've been using Creme Double from Dr.Oetker on my Scones but it's not quite the same..

Here are two shops I adore :)

Also possible to order online too!

http://www.english-shop.de/

http://atasteofbritain.de/