Receiving a package from Deutsche Post or DHL

74 posts in this topic

Well, well, well, so I trace MY packet again and it says that a Mr."Roger Rabbit" has picked it up :blink: !!!

How the fuck is that possible my name is very long and completely different.

I found the guy through FACEBOOK and he says he does have MY packet and is willing to give it to me. Don't know if he has opened it or not. The contents were quite expensive, around 450 euros worth.

I am so seriously pissed off with DHL. Yes, the packet did not have the kundenummer on but it had a name. Just because we cannot find the receiver that doesn't mean we deliver it to anyone that is available.

I had called them a dozen times and also send them an e'mail looking for it with the shipment number.

The DHL on the same day I tracked down this guy sends me an e'mail saying that my packet was delivered, REALLY? I MEAN F*CKING REALLY?

This is why you have a hard time getting delivers from D-post/DHL - Link

(It's for UPS, But the same applies to D-post/DHL)

[adminmerge][/adminmerge]

Hi All,

I believe many of you have faced this scenario here, the delivery man does not ring the bell when he has a parcel and just simply throws in a letter to collect the parcel from the DHL office. http://www.spiegel.de/wirtschaft/service/dhl-paketdienst-aerger-ueber-zusteller-die-nicht-klingeln-a-850459.html

I had ordered an item from Amazon and weights around 30 kg so i had been tracking it all day and was at my apartments during the day of delivery. I waited and waited and suddenly found a message that the parcel cannot be delivered the recipient is notified. Such a shame that i was in the apartments all the time no one rang the bell.. no one knocked or even looked up if i was there in the apartments they just left with a note.

I must say if this is the service then why order things from amazon , if i had to pick up things i would rather go and shop outside ...

This is very bad service.. and i would like to complain.. I have already made a complaint in DHL office but i am sure whats their reply going to be , i want to pursue this further.. Is there any place i can go an register a case? I have trying to search all over the internet but unfortunately cant find anything.. Does any one know where i can complain, any suggestions will be grateful..

rgds

aditya

Wrong way to go.

It's Amazon who is responsible for package delivery, so if it was not delivered to your door, you click "return money" and write a detailed report that your package was not delivered. Amazon has much more resources to kick DHL's ass, so let them do their job...

Or the alternate way - if you have a steady DHL guy who delivers to your area, next time he delivers something, offer him a bottle of wine (nothing fancy). He will certainly remember you (not for the value of the wine in itself, but for the gesture, as a lot of people take their service for granted). The guy who delivers in my area was very nice from the very beginning, carrying some heavy stuff up the stairs (even if he technically could've left it on the inner side of the front door), so the bottle of wine felt like a natural thing to do.

I've noticed that delivery service is really variable here too. I was an Amazon Prime member in the US and I am here now too. When I ordered something with Prime 2-day shipping in the US, it often came in one day but never more than 2. If I order Prime 2-day shipping here, it might come in 3-5 days. It's like the whole "customer is always right" rush-to-be-at-your-service consumer-centric thing that happens in the US isn't really going on here, in general. There are things I like about that (people are less focused on shopping and instant gratification here, I've noticed), but there are definite drawbacks too!

We have a lot of problems getting deliveries at home, living in the 2nd yard, fifth floor, elevator has a key, people often not home, etc. etc. Tracking isn't so good either—a website will just say that it was delivered but not where it was delivered to, then a few days later there's finally a slip in the mailbox saying where to pick it up! (It could be at a packstation, a post office, a shop next door, or even one of our next-door neighbors, but we are left in suspense for days.)

So I'm definitely in favor of the Packstation option too. They just send you a text or email when the package arrives. And once you have an account with DHL and a Packstation card, you can specify delivery to a nearby post office as well (except for the rare occasions where DHL delivery isn't allowed, then we brave the home delivery option). For me it's worth it to walk the 10 minutes to the nearest packstation rather than wonder, almost every time, for a week or more what happened to my package.

Good luck. :)

Or the alternate way - if you have a steady DHL guy who delivers to your area, next time he delivers something, offer him a bottle of wine (nothing fancy). He will certainly remember you (not for the value of the wine in itself, but for the gesture, as a lot of people take their service for granted). The guy who delivers in my area was very nice from the very beginning, carrying some heavy stuff up the stairs (even if he technically could've left it on the inner side of the front door), so the bottle of wine felt like a natural thing to do.

That's called "corruption". Service for which you've paid for (in fees or taxes) is not "for granted". If postmen are underpaid they can go on strike. Encouraging underpayment of wages by offering bribery (even a small one) is a wrong thing to do.

Simplest answer is to register for packstation, we had a several months (before we figured it out :rolleyes: ) of the postie taking every single Paket/Packchen back to the main post office in our city/town, which is either a 20 minute bike ride each way or even longer by UBahn. Though this obviously depended on the individual doing the deliveries because parcels and large envelopes would occasionally be left on our doormat, it seems that as a general rule, Post employees are under pretty strict instructions to forward anything that has the DHL logo on to the main depot. Quite irritating but fair enough really.

Be aware that getting a Packstation account might not be as straightforward as it sounds. It took me (in Berlin!) over a month of waiting, several calls to the DHL helpline, two visits to the post office, and a few DHL employees making appointments and coming to my door (one of whom claimed only German citizens can use the Packstations, which of course isn't true) to finally get my account validated.

That's called "corruption". Service for which you've paid for (in fees or taxes) is not "for granted". If postmen are underpaid they can go on strike. Encouraging underpayment of wages by offering bribery (even a small one) is a wrong thing to do.

I beg to differ. Corruption (or bribery, to be more accurate) requires conditioning the delivery of the normal level of service by receiving the said bribe. Offering an unsolicited gift after extraordinary (in the sense of above requirements) service has been provided is called tipping. No offence intended, but using your logic would make all waiters/waitresses in the US corrupt, wouldn't it?

I beg to differ. Corruption (or bribery, to be more accurate) requires conditioning the delivery of the normal level of service by receiving the said bribe. Offering an unsolicited gift after extraordinary (in the sense of above requirements) service has been provided is called tipping. No offence intended, but using your logic would make all waiters/waitresses in the US corrupt, wouldn't it?

The only problem i see in the so called "tipping" is that after some time it starts becoming the expected norm and the performance for which you already paid for starts slacking. There are additional emotional heartburns and guilt feelings and i can think of few episodes of Seinfeld on this issue.

I believe many of you have faced this scenario here, the delivery man does not ring the bell when he has a parcel and just simply throws in a letter to collect the parcel from the DHL office.

Delivering parcels is a drab, underpaid job, and delivery men are working under time pressure. I can imagine that some less conscientious delivery men would try to cut corners by doing what you just described, as they can easily get away with it.

I second the suggestion to get a DHL Packstation account. I've been using it for years, and have never had any problems.

Of course it would. But as this is a part of culture, this is tolerated and that's why it's an exception.

Delivering parcels is a drab, underpaid job, and delivery men are working under time pressure. I can imagine that some less conscientious delivery men would try to cut corners by doing what you just described, as they can easily get away with it.

I second the suggestion to get a DHL Packstation account. I've been using it for years, and have never had any problems.

There are alternatives to packstation:

1. Specify desired neighbours (Wunschnachbarn)

https://www.dhl.de/de/paket/pakete-empfangen/wunschnachbar.html

2. Order a package box which you can set up near your house if possible:

https://www.paket.de/pkp/appmanager/pkp/desktop?_nfpb=true&_portlet.async=false&_pageLabel=pkp_portal_page_introduction&timedOut=true&_nfls=false

Just - whatever you do - don't count on DHL's "Wunschtag" delivery service (delivery on a specific day). Two packages out of two failed to arrive on the specified Saturday - one got there on Monday, the other one on Thursday. No answer whatsoever to my complaint.

Fortunately, I live in a small building (six apartments only) and the delivery guy usually finds at least one of the neighbors at home and drops my package(s) there, leaving me a note in the mailbox.

By the way, you can find out where exactly it was delivered by using the DHL web tracking and specifying the "detailed receiver information" - you will get the neighbor's name or the post office number.

I had never heard about the web tracking service. I just know we've tried calling DHL directly several times (my husband is German so no language barrier) and they had no idea where the package had been delivered. Maybe it wasn't in the system yet because a couple/few days later when we got the notice in the mailbox, obviously the location had been put in the system by then...

Just don't be in a rush to get packages here. :)

Who is doing your deliveries? The normal postman or a DHL guy on a van? As far as I know the guys on vans are outsourced so they own the van and they work for DHL and they get paid for every package they deliver, so they try hard not to bring packages back and if you are not at home they will leave the package with any neighbor when possible. At least that's our experience here in Berlin.

I had never heard about the web tracking service.

http://www.dhl.de/en.html

Stick the tracking number in the search box on the upper-left side and click the arrow next to it. It only works (usually) the day after you get the shipping notification for a specific package.

The tracking service works very well. We have a reliable DHL guy and haven't had any problem getting our packages.

Simplest answer is to register for packstation...

People suggesting packstation seem to be missing the point. If I order a 30kg item, I would expect it to be delivered to my doorstep. A packstation does not help me in this case.

I would go with yourkeau's advice and just get the money back from amazon and place a new order again.

It's Amazon who is responsible for package delivery, so if it was not delivered to your door, you click "return money" and write a detailed report that your package was not delivered. Amazon has much more resources to kick DHL's ass, so let them do their job...

If you try to ask for a refund now, Amazon will suggest that you contact DHL/the post office and get them to deliver a second time. I doubt very much that after one attempt, they will accept your rejection of the package, but they will agree to bring it again. Tell them the day, and that they must definitely deliver it to you and not just leave a note.