Aussie Rules Football with the Munich Kangaroos

36 posts in this topic

It's late notice, but the first outdoor Aussie Rules training for the season is tonight at 6pm. It's in the Hirschgarten, 2 min walk south of the beergarden. You'll see us there. If you can't make that, then come to The Arc afterwards 8:30pm or so to meet the guys. There'll be some Aussie Rules dvd's on...

Hope to see you there.

Munich Kangaroos

Hazza, is this going to be a regular Thursday night thing? (Meaning the training first and then drinks / Aussie Rules banter at the Arc.) I'm keen to come along at some stage and catch up with some other Aussie Rules fans... don't know about the training though (being "weiblich" and all). my boyfriend is interested in giving Aussie Rules a go at some stage too - though being Albanian, he's something of a newcomer to the sport. Do the Kangaroos look kindly on newbies to the sport?

I#d be interested, but I can not come this time. I actually have a real Sherrin to play with as well!! But I have never played before, and I was told I kick like an American

This is hopefully going to be a regular thing. I'm trying to get Aussie rules games from the weekend before sent so we can show games after training on Thursday nights.

We're trying to promote the game in Germany. There are 5 clubs - Munich, Duesseldorf, Berlin, Hamburg and Frankfurt and we play a league. There are a few guys who have joined us this year who have never played before. Rules are explained during training and there are allowances made for new players breaking rules in games to help them learn.

So we absolutely encourage newcomers to play.

@brokenm ... come out for sure. Don't worry about kicking like an American, the sport is growing at a huge pace in the states and it seems you yanks pick up the game pretty easily (think of it as a cross between basketball, soccer & us football).

@Caitlin ... an Albanian - great! So far we have germans, kiwis, english, irish, finnish, french on the roster, so why not albania. And of course, ladies always welcome to talk & watch footy (or play, if you're game).

Training every Thursday in the Hirschgarten as Hazza says ... not too stressful but loads of fun and a great bunch of guys, as last weekends away trip to Berlin attested. Looks like a practice match this saturday also.

We're having an interclub game tomorrow (16 April) at 2pm at the Hirschgarten. Would be great if people could come along and watch. We'll be having a bbq afterwards. I'm sure if you bring some meat along, we'll find a way to cook it. Beer's available at the Beergarden (2 mins walk away).

Additionally, our first home game is scheduled for next Saturday (23 April) against Duesseldorf - also starting at 2pm.

Hazza, is the game against Düsseldorf taking place here in Munich this weekend (23rd)? Where, and what time?? I will hopefully be there to watch (cos I'm sick of watching my beloved Port Power boys put in such a piss-poor effort this season...)

... and after Caitlin's posts about Coopers, I thought she had some sense in her ... but the Power??! Carna Crows :)

Hope to see a few of you Aussies out there at the game.

Well the celebrations from last year's triumph have only just subsided, and already the new season is upon us!

The AFL Germany season 2006 starts on April 1, this year with the addition of Strasbourg (!). The Munich Roos will take on Frankfurt in Munich in the opening round, a replay of last years final.

In the meantime, training has started. Typically we are training once a week on a Thursday night though we have to be flexible at this time of year. If its snowy/icy we find something to do indoors, so have no fear about frostbite!

Anyone wanting to play/train/drink with us, please PM me (I don't always read the website, so PM is best). All are welcome - we have plenty of beginners each year and after a few weeks they have picked up the basics and are making a real contribution to our winning ways.

Thanks

For anyone interested,

Tomorrow is our final regular season home game. We take on the Strasbourg Black Devils at 2pm at The Hirschgarten.

This is where we're playing

post-22-1152877258.gif

The weather's supposed to be fine, the beergarden's just there, so come and cheer us on tomorrow!!

Good luck to you boys, wish I was there.

Footy blackjack and Arc burgers up for grabs in the forward line again, Hazza?

We're going to have a BBQ there too. Feel free to bring sausages, etc.

Feel free to also bring another BBQ so there's enough room to cook everything if a lot of people decide to come...