Shipping and removals from Munich to the UK

40 posts in this topic

Anyone know any international removal companies in Munich? You know... the kind where they send you a few big boxes, you fill them with stuff, they come and pick the boxes up... after paying an extortionate fee, the boxes arrive at your address abroad a few weeks later.

Any tips would be much appreciated!

Unless you can work out some cunning scheme to get deported, I'd go for renting a van and driving it back.

I had a look into transport companies moving out from London to here, and couldn't find anyone who would do it, so that's what I did.

Actually, Pickfords would do it, but too late to get me into the job - I only had a couple of weeks warning. Give them a call.

i moved from Leeds to here about 2 years ago... i paid about 300GBP to a local leeds company (with all the right affilliations etc) to have all my worldly posessions shipped over which was a good deal at the time, or so i thought...

the german partner who were to deliver the stuff gave me serious grief, saying they could only deliver btw 11h and 15h two days a week, which wasn't ideal given i had just started a new job... i eventually agreed that they would deliver it to a shop in the ground floor of the building and the shop owner would receive it for me...

they duly rocked up, totally ignored the shop and left my 3 trunks (containing computer, stereo, books and clothes) on the pavement in the rain for the entire afternoon... luckily munich is a relatively safe city... can you imagine if they had done that in Leeds!!! :o

the moral of the story is make sure whoever you contract to do it guarantees proper services at the other end!!!

I used Fosters when I came to MUC. I had only a couple of boxes (about 2 VW golf-fulls, that is with the back seat down and piled as high as the front seat - just to quantify it for you. I guess that corresponds roughly to 3 cubic metres)

cost €800 or so, which I thought was rather reasonable considering they picked it up on the weekend (there was an extra charge for that, included in the price I mention), stored it in MUC for a month while I was in temporary accommodation, and delivered it to my place

their number was +49 (89) 95 01 38 and the contact person was christian gradke (speaks french, german and english)

Thanks for the info, looks as though Deutsche Post is actually the easiest and cheapest. I've mainly just got loads of clothes, so it's not really that heavy. That IS me in the pic, before my "Schönheits-OP".

Hello!

I was just wandering whether anyone here knows a good and cheapish way of sending stuff (2 or 3 rather large parcels, packed with clothes, CDs, Printer etc.) to the UK, as I will be studying in Hatfield, Herts (near London), from mid September and I will not be able to take it all with me on the plane.

any ideas?

cheers in advance,

Dan

@dan - I did use Deutsche Post in the end, it was fairly cheap and my stuff arrived quickly, even over the Xmas period. I used the Packset boxes that I bought at the post office (the largest size). I was most impressed, in fact, with the decent level of service. (Not sure how electrical items would fare though)

I moved to Berlin 4 months later and now have to get aforementioned stuff carted back to Germany - c'est la vie!

whatever you do, avoid any companies working with the UK-based Bishop's Removals; I've had very bitter experience from their kind of (dis)service. And make sure you fork out whatever it takes for insurance against any possible damage.

Hi everyone!

If you're flying to the same destination that you want to send the parcels or boxes to, have a look at this company:

http://www.x-bag.de

They send the items via excess or unaccompanied baggage.

I'm using them for my move back to South Africa at the end of October and their service is great! :)

Deutsche post can send your suitcases by airfreight as well. Friends of ours took their two locked suitcases down to the nearest post office. The only requirement is that they not weigh over 20Kg (the suitcases, not the senders :) ). It only costs 80 Euros per 20Kg and gets there in 15 days. This is definitely the cheapest and easiest option.

Still don't know what we are going to do though, coz we have way more than a couple of 20kgs. Will check out the web sites mentioned earlier.

You can sent goods by cargo. It works out cheaper than excess baggage.

Luftansa Cargo is 0180 4020 810

Depending on the destination there would be an hndling fee from the handling agents of the destined place too.

Anyone know anything about sending things like computers with D post?

when I moved my gear back to the UK I did a "Beiladung" with Schenker. I moved all my gear (a 1 bedroom apartment, so I think 13 cubic metres of stuff) for under € 800.

But officially you're not allowed to move furniture, as the stuff goes on the back of a lorry and could get damaged. I got awayy with my bed and all my flat-pack furniture, also a table and chairs, by wrapping it all in bubble wrap and using huge cardboard boxes end-to-end etc... but wouldn't have been able to take a sofa, for example...

Ok, this time I need to ship a flat load of gear to the UK, about 15 cubic metres including furniture.

I heard that Allied Pickfords is good and cheap, but does anyone know of other options?

JB

I used a great company to come over here a few weeks ago from the UK. Very freindly and helpful and collected stuff when they said they would and stuff arrived on the day they said too which I think is a little rare! They worked with a partner in Stuttgart ie my stuff went from Scotland to Stuttgart and then from there to Munich. One of the few companies who would let me pack my stuff myself (altho they have packers too) and therefore save 50% on costs - and they were half the price of Pickfords too. Called Worldwide Shipping and Airfreight Co. Phone number is +44 (0)2380 633 660. I dealt with a girl called Rebecca Rutland who was very good.

Hello.

We r moving to UK in end of June. We need to move all our household stuff,15-20 boxes and not much else to Reading. I needed advice on shipping companies or any other ideas on how to get my stuff across to Reading, UK. Any help will be appreciated. I am in a fix and need advice badly. Thanks in advance.

Topics merged by admin

Ok, this may be a strange advice you may think, but I just shipped myself 20 boxes about by the US Post Service when I moved from Texas last October. German Mail is a bit more expensive, but I only paid about $500 for it (mainly books, etc)... Probably worth checking out.

Good luck!

I have seen a few posts about having stuff moved back to England.

In the end I used:

Mail Boxes Etc. – Versand « Verpackung « Grafik « Druck

Mail Boxes Etc. 0026 « Laue Business Services KG« Marsstr. 4 « 80335 München

Fon (089) 130 10 19-0 « Fax (089) 130 10 19-9 « www.mbe-de.de/dembe0026

Inhaber: Leonhard Laue • Handelsregister: HRA 85259 AG München

They gave an efficient and friendly service in English, supplied all the necessary packing materials and came to my place to pack and pick up.

Perhaps not the cheapest but it took all the hassle out of it.