Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Health Insurance Contract Cancellation

11 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, I tried searching the TT forums for a similar topic, but there isn't anything like this on there.

I'm an exchange student from Canada and I have to pay for German health insurance while I am here. I am with Techniker Krankenkasse and went to them yesterday to say I was leaving the country on August 7th. I wanted to cancel my health insurance since I won't be needing it anymore. What he said is that the German government requires students to be insured for the entire term, which ends on September 30th. They said they cannot cancel the contract and I have to pay for all of August and all of September. I'll be back home in Canada on August 27th.

The sum is around 65 euros a month. Since I will be leaving August 7th, I don't like the fact that I have to pay for all of August and September. It's really hard for me to justify spending 65 euros for nothing.

I was thinking I could just cancel my bank account, and then they would have no way of finding me.

Here's my question: If I was to cancel my bank account after paying for the August fees (but not the ones for September), what would happen? Would I have a criminal record in Germany? Would they start to charge interest on the unpaid sum? or is it just better for me to pay it?

if you never intend to return to Germany (or the EU) in your life again - go ahead and do not pay this amount.

Because of course you will be registered as a bad credit risk here in Germany and they might even pursue you ( it has happened for smaller amounts) so that you check-in with your passport at a German (or EU) airport the can detain you and collect the money (plus interest and all).

While I can understand that this is a lot of money for a student and that this rule is rather annoying, I can not understand how anyone can contemplate the risks involved in leaving behind debts. You are young and you do not know what will happen in your future, what jobs may be offered to you in Germany and do you really want to face a ton of problems some years in the future because of such a simple thing?

BUT: I am also not sure that they can charge you if and when you have given up your legal residence. So, my suggestion would be to send in your cancellation again with a copy of your derigistration from the Einwohnermeldeamt because all insurance oblifations normally end when you are not a resident anymore (especially since the public insurance does not cover you abroad).

Cheerio

I am a professional independent insurance broker, financial adviser, and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

Personally, I'd just pay. It's only 65 euro, nothing ridiculous. When I left Germany the first time, I cancelled my contract beforehand with my Abmeldung, as Starshollow mentioned. If they still don't let you off the hook, just pay. Seriously. 65 euro is more than enough justification for being able to come back to Europe and not be blacklisted, I think.

My son is leaving Germany in September to study in the UK. He will be with the NHS. He is currently working and insured through the TKK. Presumably he is best just cancelling his TKK policy - he has no idea whether he will return to Germany or not after his 4 years of study. I have read of people remaining in just in case they want to return, and paying a lower amount for the time they are away, but that seems overkill for his situation.

Thoughts?

From what I gather, If your son should return to Germany some time in the future he can rejoin the Krankenkasse he was with while he was here. 

https://www.krankenkassen.de/ausland/rueckkehr-krankenversicherung-deutschland/

Seit der Gesundheitsreform 2007 gibt es in Deutschland eine Versicherungspflicht. Jeder muss sich gegen Krankheit versichern, auch diejenigen, die aus dem Ausland nach Deutschland kommen.

Es gilt der Grundsatz, dass sich jeder in der Krankenversicherung versichert, in der er zuletzt versichert war. Das bedeutet im Einzelnen:

Translation:

Since the health reform in 2007 there is a compulsory insurance in Germany. Everyone must insure themselves against illness, even those who come to Germany from abroad.

The principle applies that everyone must be insured in the health insurance policy in which they were last insured. This means in detail:

Those who previously lived in Germany and were insured there in a statutory health insurance fund also return to the statutory health insurance fund. The choice of statutory health insurance is free. Here you can apply for a health insurance change before you return.
If you have worked abroad and had social insurance there, you can join a German statutory health insurance when you return. Here you can apply for this health insurance online.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

That's interesting! I have often wondered if I would be able to come back after the age of 55 and be in the public health insurance. Would getting back into public health insurance be possible after age 55, so I wouldn't have to pay a huge sum for health insurance?

The forum experts haven't turned up yet, but I did some googling until they do and found this:  https://www.krankenversicherung-auslaender.de/krankenversicherung-fuer-auslaendische-rentner-in-deutschland.html It seems it's possible if you have previosly paid into the German social insurance system.

Können Sie sich in einer deutschen gesetzlichen Krankenkasse auch als ausländischer Rentner aus Nicht-EU-Staaten versichern?

Nein, in einer deutschen gesetzlichen Krankenkasse können sich ausländische Senioren aus Nicht-EU-Ländern leider nicht versichern. Auch auf eine freiwillige Versicherung in der deutschen GKV besteht kein Anspruch. Denn um Sie sich in Deutschland freiwillig zu versichern, müssten Sie als Nicht EU Ausländer schon in das deutsche Sozialversicherungssystem in der Vergangenheit eingezahlt haben und eine bestimmte Versicherungszeit nachweisen. 

Translation:

Can you also insure yourself in a German statutory health insurance fund as a foreign pensioner from non-EU states?
No, unfortunately foreign seniors from non-EU countries cannot insure themselves in a German statutory health insurance fund. There is also no entitlement to voluntary insurance in the German GKV. In order to take out voluntary insurance in Germany, non-EU foreigners would have to have already paid into the German social insurance system in the past and prove a certain period of insurance. 

On the other hand though, there's this bit of information:

Sicherung des Lebensunterhalts bei Nicht-EU Ausländern nach § 5 Abs. 1 Nr. 1 des Aufenthaltsgesetzes: 

Wie können Sie sich als ausländischer Rentner in Deutschland krankenversichern, wenn Sie nicht aus den Ländern der Europäischen Union kommen und einen Aufenthaltstitel mit einer Verpflichtung zur Sicherung des Lebensunterhalts benötigen?

Natürlich sind Sie auch dann in Deutschland verpflichtet, über eine Krankenversicherung zu verfügen, wenn Sie nicht aus den Ländern der Europäischen Union kommen. Allerdings ist das in Ihrem Fall etwas anders. Möchten Sie nach Deutschland einreisen, um hier Ihren Lebensabend zu verbringen, werden Sie wahrscheinlich eine Aufenthaltserlaubnis mit einer Verpflichtung zur Sicherung des Lebensunterhalts nach § 5 Abs. 1 Nr. 1 des Aufenthaltsgesetzes (§ 5 Abs. 1 Nr. 1 AufenthG) benötigen. In diesem Fall muss eine in Deutschland ansässige Person garantieren, dass ihr Lebensunterhalt einschließlich der medizinischen Absicherung in Deutschland garantiert ist. Mit der Verpflichtung zur Sicherung des Lebensunterhalts erfüllen Sie nicht mehr die Voraussetzungen für eine gesetzliche Krankenkasse. Auch eine freiwillige Versicherung in einer gesetzlichen Krankenkasse ist nicht möglich. Ihnen bleibt nur die Möglichkeit einer privaten Krankenversicherung.

Translation:

Securing livelihood for non-EU aliens in accordance with § 5 Para. 1 No. 1 of the Residence Act: 

How can you, as a foreign pensioner, take out health insurance in Germany if you do not come from the countries of the European Union and need a residence permit with an obligation to secure your livelihood?
Of course, you are also obliged to have health insurance in Germany if you do not come from the countries of the European Union. However, this is somewhat different in your case. If you want to travel to Germany to spend the evening of your life here, you will probably need a residence permit with an obligation to secure your livelihood in accordance with § 5 Para. 1 No. 1 of the Residence Act (§ 5 Para. 1 No. 1 AufenthG). In this case, a person resident in Germany must guarantee that their livelihood, including medical coverage, is guaranteed in Germany. With the obligation to secure your livelihood, you no longer fulfil the requirements for a statutory health insurance fund. Voluntary insurance in a statutory health insurance fund is also not possible. You only have the option of private health insurance.

Thanks for the info. If I did come back after 55 it would be to work. My intention would be to work as a teacher at an international school, so I am not sure if the above would apply to me, as I wouldn't be retired yet. 

Thanks Bramble. Have been a bit wifi-free and only just caught up with your response.

On 6/26/2019, 1:11:05, JN53 said:

Thanks for the info. If I did come back after 55 it would be to work. My intention would be to work as a teacher at an international school, so I am not sure if the above would apply to me, as I wouldn't be retired yet. 

You could only come back in the private system unless you have just  spent 12 months as an American in a European country´s public system eg NHS in the UK, Denmark..wherever. AND can prove it.

Even getting into the private system can take some persuading of the private insurers if your income is under the income threshold of , currently, 60,750 euros a year and you would need to be super healthy and undergo  a medical check up. But it can work...but costs real money.

I am a professional independent insurance broker and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

Thanks for the info. So, if I understand it correctly, even with being insured in Germany in the public system for 11 yrs, if I have not been in a European countries' public system for the 12 months directly before coming back to Germany, then it would have to be private insurance after age 55? So for me to be in the public system in Germany again, I would have to get a job before age 55. I suppose that is the best way of doing things. I still have time, so we'll see how things work out.