Scuffle with neighbour, police seem biased

22 posts in this topic

Hi I am looking for some advice can anyone help?? to cut a long story short had problems with my neighbours we started fighting!! I called the police and when they came they were so abusive to us and totally took the germans side!! even though he started it. It is going to court and the statement from the police and the other guy is so doctored and full of lies. Even my lawyer says it looks corrupt. Is there anywhere over here that I can contact like the CAB back home?? I did call embassy here but they werent much help. Any advice would be great.

to cut a long story short

Don't. This is very vague. We can't help you if we don't know what is going on.

had problems with my neighbours we started fighting!! I called the police and when they came they were so abusive to us and totally took the germans side!! even though he started it.

Why were you fighting? How were the police "abusive"?

It is going to court and the statement from the police and the other guy is so doctored and full of lies. Even my lawyer says it looks corrupt.

What happened to make it go to court? Was there violence?

Is there anywhere over here that I can contact like the CAB back home??

Where is back home?

Details, details!

Boddie is British so guess he means the Citizens' Advice Bureau, where free legal advice is offered to those in need.

How is your German Boddie?

Hi Im british and have been harrased by my neighbour and her son since we moved in last november!! Yes it got violent as her son who doesnt even live there attacked one of our friends after arguing over moving a large plant pot that was blocking the drive!! that shouldnt even be there. It ended up getting violent and I called the police! at first they were ok and then after they spoke with the others they changed saying to me im in germany now and telling me to shut up all of the time even letting the other peple there see my passport details. I was told by them I was an auslander on more than once and I told them I paid like every other german and that they shouldnt take their side that they should be neutral but they were not that at all. I eventually walked away after realising the police were trying to provoke me and the next day I saught legal advice. These cops are still on the case and I went to them the next day as I had scratches on my car but they didnt care and now I have seen the statement it is all one sided and full of lies from both the police and the other guy. I havent slept properly since then as its so stressfull. I am a nurse and have never had to deal with this before so its very frightening.

do you rent your place? if so then you should immediately call & join the Mieterverein. it's too late for them to help with this case but will help in any future matters.

you should also keep a diary of all disturbances and any vandalism acts, like the scratches on your car.

in future it's best to remain calm around the police, show you are the sensible rational one! and have a friend with you who speaks German.

Fist fight or slanging match? Any uninvolved witnesses? Any uninvolved witnesses of prior incidents? Do you have a copy of the police report?

Go to your local court (in Munich it's in Maxburg, next to Lenbachplatz) and ask for the Beratungshilfe, if you qualify they will issue a document that you hand over to a lawyer, s/he will give you the necessary information. Beratungshilfe applies to non-trial cases, it is meant for those who cannot afford the normal lawyer fees.

Sorry to hear of your situation, Boddie! Moonboot is right, to keep a diary of all events, remain calm around the police and have someone with you who speaks german. In our apt. everyone are nice and seem pleasant, but I learned pretty quickly that they like things done a certain way, and quick to let you know if you're doing something wrong. I hope everything gets sorted soon.

Moonboot is right, to keep a diary of all events, remain calm around the police and have someone with you who speaks german.

And remain calm round neighbours too. I had a minor bout of hostile neighbours at the weekend (also involving stuff on my land) and it reminded me how hard you have to work to step back and just take things through process in a detached way - to damp things down / withdraw and not escalate, which is what they want. The hostile ones do love to goad people and get a reaction that makes things worse, of course. Small world + small brain = disproportionate trouble for people who don't deserve it.

It sounds like you have done the right thing in getting a lawyer (who should also be able to tell you your wider options). Also, if someone hit your friend, that attack something that friend can address too, surely? I'd certainly not be happy if I went round to a mate's house and their neighbour decided to hit me! The thing about scratches on car etc though is that proof is presumably needed - saying "I presume x did it because they've been hostile in other ways" is often not enough.

Also, of course you might want to think of moving if renting - not a "defeat" but rather taking control.

Yup Swimmer, and especially calm around the neighbors! I usually just keep smiling and let them be "helpful". :) Then when I close my door, I'm just like what a *beep beep*! :P

Never underestimate the pettiness of neighbour relations over here. My sister in law has a neighbour who has brought legal action against an upstairs neighbour for having a pot plant that drops leaves into his courtyard.

Thnx everyone!! I just had good news there was one witness that was going against us and saying lots of lies about what they had seen when infact they hadnt seen anything!! but he has come forward to say that what is in the police report is not what he told them and that they have added lots of lies to it and he is now willing to say that in court!! so I feel a little bit better. I asked him why he had lied and he said it was because he thought we were Turkish because I have dark hair!! it sure is a strange country. So lets see if my faith in the legal system over here is restored!! It worries me though about how many other people these officers have done this to. Thanx again!!

I just had good news there was one witness that was going against us and saying lots of lies about what they had seen when infact they hadnt seen anything!! but he has come forward to say that what is in the police report is not what he told them and that they have added lots of lies to it and he is now willing to say that in court!! so I feel a little bit better. I asked him why he had lied and he said it was because he thought we were Turkish because I have dark hair!!

No Germans are not rascist honest.

Who threw the first punch?If your neighbour did then your friend was acting in self defense.

To be honest it sounds like the police officers involved know your neighbour and are helping him out

I asked him why he had lied and he said it was because he thought we were Turkish because I have dark hair

Words fail me.

I wonder why you are suprised that the statement from the other side is all one sided and full of lies.

I expect they are saying exactly the same about your statement.

I find the behaviour of the person who was so against you and telling lies etc now being willing to stand up in court and say that the police are lieing a bit odd. Wonder if the judge will even listen to someone who seems to tell lies about who ever upset him last?

I am sure that you are totally innocent of any wrong doing of course but you are going to have a very hard time proving it.

Boddie doesn't have to prove a damn thing. The DA has to evaluate the various eye-witness statements collected by the police to see if there's enough material to warrant criminal action. In the trial, the judge has to evaluate the testimony from all sides to see if there's enough proof for a conviction.

Boddie: Take pictures of the car damage and - as said above - document any other disturbance and hand it over to your lawyer if this goes to court.

Yes but if as seems likely from tone of the posts that the neighbours have claimed that Boddie and his friend started it all and all the statements back that up then Boddie might have bigger problems than a scratched car.

Words fail me.

They fail me too. However, that witness needs to be punched and for that words are not needed.

Will be interesting to know what said witness will say when asked in court why he lied...