Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Someone with cats stayed in my place

16 posts in this topic

Someone with cats stayed in my place. Now I am having an allergic reaction I cant sleep I sneeze all the time my skin itches. I had Freaking 4 hours of sleep last night and I have to function and sleep! I am allergic to cat spray. The place was left totally dust free and very clean. What do I do to get rid of the thing that is causing me so much suffering.

UV light?

Bleach (which i also have a allergic reaction to)

Paint the place which we have to do any wise.

Help I have few hours before I go back to the flat again. I have heard it's some sort of bacteria.

Told you so :P

You are reacting to a protein in the cat's saliva and urine. When the cat grooms or empties its bladder this protein adheres to the skin and fur of the animal. There it will dry up and flake off and become airborne. When that happens you inhale the particle, your immune system mis-identifies the protein as a germ. This causes the immune system to create a specific immunoglobulin E for that protein. Every subsequent exposure, that IgE causes the mast cells in your blood to get all excited and produce histamine. The histamine causes your throat to itch and your nose to run. The only way to stop this chain reaction is to neutralize the Fel D1 protein that caused the problem in the first place. Fortunately, proteins can be denatured (the fancy science word for neutralize) with a number of substances. To start, rub the cat once a week with Allerpet/C It is a special formula to denature the allergen on the cat. Secondly, spray all the parts of the house that the cat hangs out with ADMS spray. This will denature the proteins that have already flaked off. Then every week rub the cat with the Allerpet and once a month spray the ADMS spray. I'll give you some links to read about this stuff and how it works. I'll also give you an article about living with cats and cat allergy. It can be done, you just have to be willing to do the work.

I have no idea where we would get ADMS spray.

I am allergic to cats too but I have some anyway. Allergy is a strange beast. Mine has gotten somewhat better over the years. Anyway, clean everything again or get somebody else to. Vacuum all furniture and carpets. Wash all linens, towels, sheets etc. Then take otc allergy pills for a while until your apartment is safe again.

We need to get the chemical to neutralize the protein.

you could also try some ammonia - that supposedly breaks down some of it - otherwise I don't know what to tell you. Note that no amount of vacuuming or professional cleaning can get rid of the cat's "dander" in the carpets. once it's in there, it's in there. If you're highly allergic you might consider replacing them, and replacing with some kind of hard floors (wood? vinyl? etc). This will allow for easy clean up next time - and hopefully less reactions.

I have to find this ADMS spray going to a cat store to get it. If they have it.

I am allergic to cats too but I have some anyway. Allergy is a strange beast.

me too, other peoples cats can make me really bad, but you somehow get used to your own, strange.

ADMS spray - I think thats an American product, don't know as you will find it in Europe. They don't list ingredients on the label, do you really want to use some chemical crap that you don't know the make up of anyway? Seriously get rid of your carpets, have wood or vinyl or something, much easier to keep allergy free and clean up if you have this sort of problem.

I have a cat now... you can play with him LOLO whene you visit. He called Captin Tibbles. ;)

Full name: Captain Tibbles of HMS Anaphylactic Shock

If you seriously do have cat allergies, you don't want to mess around with this. Trust me on this one.

Ok, what is a ADMS?

I live with my cat for 10 years now but my allergy is becoming worse. My doctor informed me I could develop asthma and I explained to him that I cannot just throw Julio out!

I clean like crazy but with no result.

You will never be able to keep your home completely clear of cat dander - they produce it all the time.

You could try a de-sensitising course. That's where a clinic places tiny amounts of the allergen under your skin over months till it no longer affects you. This may or may not work. Otherwise you will have to make a choice. The cat or your health. There is no avoiding this. Once you develop asthma it will affect the rest of your life and you will not be able to keep a cat then anyway, or even go near one without having a seizure. It's a bitter choice, I know. I love cats and can no longer keep them for for this reason.

I saved old cat from a empty flat near me after you left I called her "Zombie" because she ate parts of my dead neighbour then died a few weeks later. Sarah why don´t you send me a normal mail?

... I cannot just throw Julio out!

It's been scientifically proven that it is quite safe to throw cats out, they always land on their feet then skulk off.

Unless you're over 9 floors up or overlook water.

Apparently, I have not yet tried this, once over the 7th floor it doesn't matter what height you drop a cat from it will not sustain any more injuries than if you had dropped it from the 7th in fact the number of injuries actually decreases as the cat has more time to get over the shock of falling.

Something to do with the way it flattens out and reduces its terminal velocity.

This has nothing to do with cat allergies unless you are thinking of cat removal techniques.

Wow that sucks, cat ruined yor apartment... jeez. That can be tough. When you're that allergic, no amount of normal cleaning can solve the problem. I had a frind who had a hard time looking for an apartmnt, because if a cat had ever lived there, she would have a really severe reaction when she stepped in to view it.

Well for those who are having trouble getting rid of your beloved pets-- just do it, it's really not worth your health, especially if you can find a good home. I lives with cats/dogs my whole life, (I'm asthmatic and have mild dog and cat allergies) now that I don't, I have never felt better. It kind of sucks, because I really like animals, but, I would certainly never go back to itching, wheezing and feeling like shit all the time.

Apparently there are a bunch stories out there about cats who jump off high rises and walk away with just like, a broken leg, or unscathed.