Marmite vs. Vegemite

Marmite vs. Vegemite   72 votes

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• Marmite
    • Vegemite

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

92 posts in this topic

VitaminR Is the equivalent of alcohol free beer, just a watery imitation of the originals.  I have stocked-up on vegemite!  For those who can’t understand the enthusiasm some of us have for vegemite, try it with poached eggs on toast.  

On 28.4.2021, 10:46:25, jeba said:

You forgot the sarcasm emoticon.

No I didn't... I wasn't being sarcastic.

22 hours ago, RedMidge said:

Have to be Brit, Aussie or Kiwi to like these products!😀

I like Bovril for a hot drink, but Marmite on buttered whole meal toast.

I'm Canadian but do like (UK) Marmite. On buttered toast, yum.

It wasn't common when I was young AFAIK, but nowadays you can actually find it in bigger "more fancy" locations of some grocery chains in big cities (at least in Toronto, not sure about elsewhere). My English-born great-granny usually had a jar in her fridge, and I remember liking it then. I guess it's an odd unknown thing for most Canadians, but clearly it has fans if they stock it.

I have in the past bought Marmite from a grocery store in Germany (believe it was a large especially well-stocked "flagship" Edeka), and was surprised to see it, but that was long ago. Haven't seen it in a while. 

Haven't tried vegemite. Bovril is of course tasty, which is hardly surprising for a meaty MSG paste. 

1 hour ago, Anna66 said:

No I didn't... I wasn't being sarcastic.

Then hurry to get a PCR test. Loss of your sense of taste is a typical symptom of covid.😎

38 minutes ago, jeba said:

Then hurry to get a PCR test. Loss of your sense of taste is a typical symptom of covid.😎

As well as colds and regular'flu! 

On 29.4.2021, 19:04:30, jeba said:

No loss of taste. You are funny! I love marmite, I love beans! The taste is just divine! :P

8 minutes ago, Anna66 said:

No loss of taste. You are funny! I love marmite, I love beans! The taste is just divine! :P

Nigella does a spaghetti with marmite.  Fantastic if not done too often.  Sadly have no more Marmite.

On 29/04/2021, 20:04:30, jeba said:

Runny nose today but the steak tasted great! 😂

So I am probably only half-ill! Wild change of temperatures here. Heating on two evenings ago but we are currently washing swim wear for tomorrow! 30C! How about Cyprus?

11 hours ago, john g. said:

30C! How about Cyprus?

Yesterday we had 31C in my area. Today they predict a cold wave of only 29C

13 hours ago, snowingagain said:

Nigella does a spaghetti with marmite.  Fantastic if not done too often. 

That puts me off my breakfast ... in the same way as when I suggest to cook spaghetti with anchovy sauce. My family simply kicks me out of the kitchen for the night.

:ph34r:

On 30.4.2021, 20:13:19, snowingagain said:

Nigella does a spaghetti with marmite.  Fantastic if not done too often.  Sadly have no more Marmite.

What is also tasty is marmite on toast, topped with bacon, beans and then melted cheese as well. The bacon is really zesty.

Alternatively, a slice of cheddar on top of the marmite, then bacon and beans. Really great too.

Marmite and cheddar  scones are fab, with maybe extra marmite spread on top.

I thought I used a BBC good food recipe, but they are pinwheel, and I've never faffed about doing that, so anything on google, I suppose.