Marmite vs. Vegemite

Marmite vs. Vegemite   72 votes

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• Marmite
    • Vegemite

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

92 posts in this topic

Maybe we should organise an official TT tasting of both products?

I have one last jar of Marmite (actually it´s one of those horrible plastic containers they use these days :( ), in the cupboard that I could offer up...

Ooh no Robbie - not the squeezy marmite? It doesn't taste anywhere near as good as the proper sticky stuff!

Marmite v Vegimite - thin and spread on toast - Marmite wins hands down

Marmite v Vegimite - thin and spread on toast with butter - Vegimite wins

Marmite v Vegimite - in a cheese sandwich - Vegimite wins

Marmite v Vegimite - On its own in a sandwich - Marmite wins hands down

Observation - Vegimite has to have some element of dairy with it, and then it just WORKS. Marmite needs to be spread thinly...

Ohh and Mightypies,, just check out every coles and woolies,,, you'll find Marmite in Australia sold as "my mate" as another company owns the rights to Marmite, which is a vastly inferior product to both imho.

Me,,, i love BOVRIL :-p

Hm, now I think I must buy some Marmite when I have a chance and experiment with neil richardson's advice. Thanks for that, neil!

I am now the very happy owner of two recently acquired jars of Vegemite. :-) :-)

i have never seen marmite anywhere in Oz, but i've seen vegemite in almost every major cap city in the world.

odd.

Marmite is sold in most supermarkets in Australia, but mostly the NZ version which is very different and no connection to the UK version. UK marmite (or original Marmite) is sold around the world and far more common to find than Vegemite.

no competition. vegemite is the best.

stronger, smellier and stain-ier than marmite

Actually, this is the great misconception by Australians that Vegemite is the stronger of the two. Well, it can be, but usually not. The confusion comes from the fact that there are two products called Marmite in the world.

Most Australians have only tried the New Zealand version of Marmite. This tastes extremely different to the original UK version and has no connection with the UK company. It is considerably weaker in taste than either the original Marmite or Vegemite and is sweeter due to the larger sugar and caramel levels.

This is why most Australian's claim that Vegemite is stronger than Marmite, but most British people claim that Marmite is stronger than Vegemite. They can't both be right can they? Yes, as long as the correct version of Marmite is being compared.

For strength of flavour, it works like this:

Weakest: NZ Marmite

Middle: Vegemite

Strongest: Marmite

This is actually a very important distinction in this discussion here, as I am sure most Australian's will not be comparing this to the same product that the British are.

As most Australians have only tasted NZ Marmite, they will be comparing Vegemite to that, and suggesting that they prefer Vegemite (which is my preference as well when comparing to NZ Marmite). But few British (or anywhere outside of Australia/New Zealand) have tasted NZ Marmite and thus would be comparing the original product with Vegemite.

So, what we have is a false poll, as the votes in most cases, at least from the Australian point of view, wouldn't be comparing the same product the UK voters are.

Oh... despite growing up on both Vegemite and NZ Marmite, my favourite is now the original Marmite, followed by Vegemite and these days I really don't like the sweet tasting NZ Marmite. This is mainly because I prefer strong tasting foods and only like sugar in cakes.

Here is something for all Marmite lovers! Very beautiful packaging and branding.

http://www.advertisingserved.com/gallery/Marmite-Blogger-Drop/4273319

Has anybody done a taste test on German yeast extracts?  I have tried VitamR Klassik. I find it ok to use a spoonful in a quick dark onion sauce, or whatever.  But finding it "challenging" on toast.

16 hours ago, snowingagain said:

Has anybody done a taste test on German yeast extracts?  I have tried VitamR Klassik. I find it ok to use a spoonful in a quick dark onion sauce, or whatever.  But finding it "challenging" on toast.

The mere thought of having marmite or similar on toast is making my toe-nails curl up.

2 hours ago, jeba said:

The mere thought of having marmite or similar on toast is making my toe-nails curl up.

That's because they are probably of similar taste and smell

I actually prefer Bovril! Soon it will be harder to get, cause of Brexit and cause it contains Animal products. But handsdown, Bovril wins for me every time. 

I prefer marmite as the consistency is not as dry as vegemite.

Bovril is tasty as well, but I prefer marmite. For me it tastes best on white toast.

What is also really tasty, is toast with marmite with baked beans on top with a sprinkling of grated chedder. Lovely!

22 minutes ago, Anna66 said:

I prefer marmite as the consistency is not as dry as vegemite.

Bovril is tasty as well, but I prefer marmite. For me it tastes best on white toast.

What is also really tasty, is toast with marmite with baked beans on top with a sprinkling of grated chedder. Lovely!

You forgot the sarcasm emoticon.

This thread has made me think, since Marmite has a lot of vitamins, would it be possible to have a livable diet of wholemeal toastie with a marmite, cheese and onion filling :lol::lol:

Have to be Brit, Aussie or Kiwi to like these products!😀

I like Bovril for a hot drink, but Marmite on buttered whole meal toast.

1 hour ago, RedMidge said:

Have to be Brit, Aussie or Kiwi to like these products!😀

I like Bovril for a hot drink, but Marmite on buttered whole meal toast.

But what about the equivalent German products?  Any experience?

9 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

But what about the equivalent German products?  Any experience?

No- I stay with tried and tested!

9 minutes ago, RedMidge said:

No- I stay with tried and tested!

OK but Brexit.  I will soldier on and try and find something edible.  VitaminR has hints of rotting flesh which I find alarming but may appeal to some.  Will report back.