Favorite German foods and meals

103 posts in this topic

I checked to see if there is an existing thread, then realized that German food is nothing to write home about.

But still...

Living here in Schwabland I have grown partial to Zwiebelrostbraten (with beef, not pork) and Spätzle (not pictured).

post-16-1248856403.jpg

I also love Schwäbische Seele, but it is getting harder and harder to find the real thing these days.

post-16-1248856408.jpg

I have grown partial to Zwiebelbraten

Zwiebelrostbraten mit Bratkartoffeln (lecker lecker)

There are many things here that are good to eat! For instance my wife makes excellent Kohlrouladen.

I love that sweet dish - its a bit like chopped up pancakes with an apple dip on the side. I think it's called Kaiserschmarm or something like that.

Every time my boyfriend and I visit his family in Germany I always ask if we can have Maultaschen... yummy

Here's a link to a pic:

Maultaschen

I like it as Maultaschensuppe or chopped up and fried in the pan, can't wait for the next trip now :D

Eww, factory Maultaschen (the wikipedia pic are Bürger brand).

Prefer to do 'em myself by hand. Less wrapping, more content! Whole thing needs to be thin enough to see the light through it before cooking.

We had Maultaschen today for lunch as they are easy to make (ready made) and the kids like them. But I am no fan.

I have it on good authority that pregnant women love them some Käsespätzle, especially if they're made with love, care, and a fuckton of cheese and cream. I strongly recommend keeping at least one half-kilo bag of the long spindly type <to/at> hand. Garnish is 1/4 of a container of roasted onion bits (Cronions or equivalent). Preparation details on request.

woof.

Schäufele (you can't accuse the Franconians of being unable to roast a pig) und Klos. I've grown accustomed to its paste.

With apologies to My Fair La( r )dy

* Grüne Sosse

* Sauerbraten with red sour cabbage and Knödel

* Pfifferlinge sauce

* Schnitzel with green peppercorn sauce

* Eingelegte Schnitzel prepared by my ex M-I-L

* Leftover knödel, sliced and fried in butter

Sorry, I just can't choose. My husband has learned to live with it when we go out to eat.

German Bratwurst - something I can't resist when I'm over there.

Pay a visit to Lidl (in the UK). They should have bratties for sale.

Currywurst or speisbraten with pommes and mayo for me!

Pay a visit to Lidl (in the UK). They should have bratties for sale.

Asda opposite the City of Manchester Stadium used to have them too. Nürnberger-style finger-sized efforts. Very tasty too!

Kassler cooked in sauerkraut.

And cos I live this side of the Weißwurstgrenze:

Sauerbraten

Ochsenauen = Fired Leberkäs with a fried egg on top.

Knödel mit Schwammerl

Obazda

A good home cooked schnitzel

Wies'n Hendl

Käsekrainer

Wurstsalat sauer

a Guadn! B)

A properly roasted schweinshaxe, with nice crispy crackling, yummy!

I second that, can't get it in this area though.

BadDoggie's woman is a lucky one. It is my goal to find the best Käsespätzle in Germany (obviously the best is homemade, but it doesn't stop me from eating one any chance I get). That and knödel (semmel) are the two dishes I would hope to be able to "take" with me if I ever leave this country.

I think German food IS worth writing home about. Anybody who’s had pork, dumplings, cabbage and the other “stodgy” mainstays prepared by someone who gives a damn knows how good they can be. Then there’s all the creative uses for potatoes, all the hearty winter vegetables, the beer and schnapps, the staggering amount of regional specialties, the cakes... How is this less worth writing home about than other cuisines?