Kentucky Fried Chicken comes to Munich

414 posts in this topic

@All, currently making to most of my stay in the UK, had KFC 18 times already. :)

I even had the mini fillet burger for 99p just before going to the gym.

Fair comments guys, I guess and @ Hazza, I DON'T ever eat at junk food places, though I do have to agree from the one occasion I've tried such things in the past, KFC IS marginally better than McDonalds! Nothing against multi-culti in Munich as such, same as any other city, but surely there are some decent "restaurants" in America rather than these junky fast food places? I don't believe that when Americans go out for a meal they go to such places, apart from a quick bite.

Now I suppose our U.S. TTers will tell me I'm completely wrong!

Alys, there are apparently a couple steak houses here, but my guess is that they suck. I know someone was talking recently about a rib house or something that was pretty average. The fact is, the worse food is for you, the more irresistable it seems to be, so there's demand for it. Asi es la vida - at least we don't have to choose to go there; but obviously enough people do to make it worthwhile, and it ain't all American tourists.

"and it ain't all American tourists" - zactly.. I'm a brit and I CANT WAIT for KFC to open.. mmmm crispy strips...

I reckon KFC is worse than Maccers. Atleast I can eat McD's and then not get a chronic case of the runs 20 minutes later. There is something about KFC and me that just don't mix...must be one of the secret herbs

No way chap, KFC is way better than McD's. McD's is leftover KFC made into meat paddy's and sold to you as the Mc Maxi King Deluxe Tasty Double Burger, with cardboard and asbestos as the bread bun.

I wonder if KFC here will do their usual potato & gravy, coleslaw or corn on the cob's (assuming they do cob's other places than NZ), or if it will be all germanised - like sour coleslaw and chicken wings drowned in a gallon of sauce.

If they are going to invade... they better do it properly and not bow to germishness.

The KFC's in the US (at least those in California) didn't seem to do chips (or fries as they call them) anymore.

I hope they do them here though - the alternative side dishes are pretty ordinary...

IPJ - thanks for the comments. So at home in U.S. (and I'm assuming you are American), what sort of places DO people go to for meals? It doesn't sound like you're into Indian curries yet (maybe I should take a trip to the U.S.!) Just curious to know what sort of place your average American would choose for a good meal. (Jml can answer this one, too if he wants, or any other Americans).

Are you kidding? I love curry! Indian food is the food of the gods. Go to curry night at the best curry joint in town this week, and I'll prove it to ya! ;)

I personally have always been a fan of falafel shops. In California, the dominant quick food would be Mexican. There are all grades of Mexican food, from quickie taco shops (these are usually the ones owned by actual Mexicans and following Mexican health codes) up to fancy sit-down places. For casual sit-down places, there's your stereotypical American diner, where you can anything from your burgers, fries and shake to a steak to a breakfast when you stumble in drunk at 3am. Of course, then you always have your Thai restaurants, Indian, Italian, pizza, sushi bars, and whatnot that you get most anywhere else. There's definitely a much bigger variety where I'm from. The one thing I don't think I've ever seen, though, is a Greek restaurant, though I'm sure they exist.

If I ever go to a fast food place (which is rare), it's Jack in the Box, not McD's or KFC. That said, I can still appreciate some KFC once in awhile. When I was a kid, they used to sell these little tiny chicken sandwiches for 40 cents each, and my sister and I used to go in and buy bunches of them. We had the most horrible eating habits back then. It's a wonder neither one of us turned into big porkers. Up until I moved here three years ago, I weighed 45 kilos. Germany has been the worst thing for my weight, believe it or not (oh, and quitting smoking)! Don't mind me. I'm just on a bit of a ramble...

IPJ

jack in the box, seriously? isn't that the place that started that epidemic of food poisoning in CA 15-20 yrs ago? i thought that in-out burger was the thinking mans fast burger joint - but maybe they just bribed the guy who wrote fast food nation to praise them to the heavens

had a KFC the other day. it was well nice.

cannot wait for KFC to open in MUC. it's been too long and the topic of many late night drunken discussions "we could all club together..." "they only want 500.000 EURO!" etc.

OH NOOooooooo! First Starbucks, now KFC! McDonald's, Burger King? Is nothing sacred in Bayern anymore? Pizza Hut!!! Budwéiser. Pepsi...man. Coke. What else? What next?

How is the opening of a KFC in Munich considered to be newsworthy? I have noticed the disasterous effects of American fastfood on the waistlines of people all around the world. Particularly in Britain, where my family orignated from, the British government should intervene in the obesity epidemic. Fast food should be taxed.

Fast food should be taxed.

Fat on people should be taxed. Full Stop. Everyone should take a BMI reading and be taxed on it accordingly.

How is the opening of a KFC in Munich considered to be newsworthy?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

because its new? and some ex-pat may crave this style of chicken... and is now thanking god in his heaven. just check the Starbucks topic... also heard they're opening one in dresden does anyone know?

what else, what next

I'd gladly pay fat tax for a Dairy Queen.

Brazier.jpg