Brit-free vacation destinations

217 posts in this topic

Good lord man, if I needed to fart in tune to la Bamba I'd just drink beer and wear a giant floppy hat.

@perdido, that's pretty funny!

Tex-Mex is described here as a "native foreign food".

It is native, for it does not exist elsewhere; it was born on this (U.S.) soil. But it is foreign in that its inspiration came from an alien cuisine; that it has never merged into the mainstream of American cooking and remains alive almost solely in the region where it originated..."

Aah, Hen & Stag parties, perhaps I should take my camera down to Haupstr, Heidelberg on a Friday & Saturday night & post pictures of the fine upstanding Germans on their bachelor nights :o

Anyway, as I haven't been on a package holiday since I was 18, I don't know what the fuss is about? I also don't really understand why people go on package holidays, sounds awful to me especially having to eat in the same place night after night.

End of discussion. Advert fucking closed.

Game over man ..game over,

*weeps silently*

I have... dreams... about this delicious food... Munich-Mex just doesn't even scratch the surface of my deep desires. :(

Good lord man, if I needed to fart in tune to la Bamba I'd just drink beer and wear a giant floppy hat.

If I wanted fish and chip I just sit on the toilette and look at the queen.

Let's not get caught up in the simplistic silly German assumption either that burgers are just the stuff you get at McDoof...

A good burger is ... well, good.

American pizza btw can be better than Italian... - see NY or Chicago. (OK, gloves off...)

I just spit food all over my monitor. That was freakin' hilarious!

*wanders off quietly before the Brit/Tex-Mex shitstorm breaks*

That normally happens 1-2 hours after you eat the burrito.

Drag or band?

That normally happens 1-2 hours after you eat the burrito.

90 minutes longer than eating a typical English breakfast. ;-)

American pizza btw can be better than Italian... - see NY or Chicago. (OK, gloves off...)

I once read somewhere that the modern day pizza, as sold in Italian restaurants all over Europe, came about during WW2 as the American GIs showed the Italians how they made pizzas, with all the fancy ingredients. Before then Pizza was a fairly simple affair. I have no idea if this is true though, but it makes a good story! :P

This thread reminds me of Yogi Berra's famous quote about a popular restaurant in New York-- "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded."

The Brits don't have a culture of complaining.

That is a new one on me?!?!?! :blink:

The Brits also complain, but it takes a lot more before they do so. The reason is that they feel embarrassed and don't like the idea of causing a stink.

First they don't, now they do, but not so much. :wacko:

The Germs don't have a culture of complaining, they have a culture of finding someone to blame before any solution can be implemented. It may look like complaining, but it is more an exercise in the practicing of self arrogance. ;)

Amen to that. At least the Chicago part... ;)

NY & Italian pizza are pretty much the same. Floppy & boring.

I'm heading to Chicago next week and will hit up Gino's East, Pizzeria Uno, and Lou Malnalti, but not all in the same day. :D

I once read somewhere that the modern day pizza, as sold in Italian restaurants all over Europe, came about during WW2 as the American GIs showed the Italians how they made pizzas,

Yeah, and carbonara sauce was only invented to appease the English soldiers who liked bacon and eggs.

Anyway.

I once went to Menorca to visit my mum and dad. I found this great restaurant, really quite impressive, and said we should go there to eat. We were enjoying some nice seafood, and 4 massive people from Birmingham* sat down. The waiter went over with a menu, and one of the blokes said, "no, no. No need for any of that. Burgers and chips all round." I mean jesus, the brash assumption that burger and bloody chips would even be on the menu. It was horrible.

There were shitloads of Brits. Everywhere. It was not good. Thing is, there was an equal amount of Germans, and they were not noticably better. The comments on this thread along the lines of "english people want their own shitty food on holiday" may be true, but when they are backed up with comments about how Germans are better, because they eat shitty rock hard vollkorn crap and not white chemical laden crap as bread, it is just hilarious. Basically then, Germans AND British both want their own form of food on holiday, yes?

It is not even just the Brits and krouts. Pretty much every nation has a large chunk of their population who would prefer to eat their "own" food. There are loads of football players who bring their mum's over to England so they can carry on eating their "own" food. It is pretty normal really.

The only nationality who do not suffer from this trait, are the French - primarily because they never, ever leave their own country. Brits and krouts take their cheap flights, the Dutch all get in their caravans and drive south - the French all stay in France.

*Or any one of those places around Birmingham that has the same accent, but yet they say they are not Brummies, same as people from 3 meters outisde liverpool say they're not scousers. You are. Accept it.