Brit-free vacation destinations

217 posts in this topic

Go to America. The dilution factor alone suggests there won't be a Brit in sight.

Go to America. The dilution factor alone suggests there won't be a Brit in sight.

Is Florida not in America anymore then? It's one of the major holiday destinations for Brits nowadays.

Florida is also the number one tourist destination in the States for Germans.

Btw, if I go to Estonia will I stumble over upon some Brits?

LOL, best thread in a while! I find that you can avoid annoying tourists in general by staying on converted farms, where the owners only speak their own language. We do this regularly for Spain and Italy: no Brits, no Germans. We eat the local cuisine this way, too. We've had fantastic vacations this way!

www.toprural.com

Absolute nonsense. Booking a package tour with a German operator will in no way ensure that there will be no Brits there.

I don't think you read my post properly.

My daughter went to Spain last year with a German tour company and the hotel was full of Brits as well as Germans.

That's it - as well as Germans. She did not end up in one of the notorious "Engländerhotels".

"Toastbrot"? British? No, "toastbrot" is the stale-at-point-of-sale equivalent of British bread. Not the same. Stop mixing languages.

Why do you think I use the expression "Toastbrot" rather than "white bread"?

So, expect loads of "currywurst mit chips" then.

You know what "Chips" are in German, don't you?

But to clarify: Hotels which cater primarily for Germans tend to serve for example "Brötchen" and some sort of German-style bread in addition to the nasty "Toastbrot" as they know that this is important for their guests. When they have only Brits as guests, they know that they can lower the food standards without immediate negative consequences. It has to be VERY bad before the Brits complain...

WHY do you need your own bread (Brötchen) when you are in another country?? Don't you want to try the local stuff? You can always just stay in your own country, if you aren't adventurous. :rolleyes:

LOL, best thread in a while! I find that you can avoid annoying tourists in general by staying on converted farms, where the owners only speak their own language. We do this regularly for Spain and Italy: no Brits, no Germans. We eat the local cuisine this way, too. We've had fantastic vacations this way!

www.toprural.com

The thing is, you have to speak the language reasonably well. And you have to be prepared to be stared at when you enter a local pub.

Re-read what you wrote. You imply that MOST Germans find it important to have their own bread while in another country. From my experiences abroad, this is what I've seen as well. This is partly why I only stay where the locals stay... ;) Indeed, Spaniards and Italians are always stunned that my German husband will eat the local food. :lol:

And please, let's not get into the German tourists drinking beer first thing in the morning at the espresso bar... :wacko:

of course. Or, you can try to learn a few words first. As to the staring, the Germans should be very much used to that!

Re-read what you wrote. You imply that MOST Germans find it important to have their own bread while in another country. From my experiences abroad, this is what I've seen as well. This is partly why I only stay where the locals stay... Indeed, Spaniards and Italians are always stunned that my German husband will eat the local food.

And please, let's not get into the German tourists drinking beer first thing in the morning at the espresso bar...

I wrote that if I had the choice I'd go for the German rather than the British set-up. And - yes - I believe that most Germans appreciate their German "Brötchen" and "Vollkornbrot" for breakfast when they're abroad. The reason is that the bread you get in southern European countries is usually white bread, which is deemed less tasty, healthy and nourishing. Nonetheless, Spanish and Italian dishes are very popular with many Germans.

of course. Or, you can try to learn a few words first. As to the staring, the Germans should be very much used to that!

Well - the Brits and other northern European nationalities stand out just as much as the Germans. If not more.

And with a few words you might get yourself a meal and a drink, but for anything more specific you'll need to have more linguistic knowledge than that.

Package tours offered by British organisers tend to involve hotels in which you have a British-only clientele,

I don't think you read my post properly.

This is what you wrote, which isn't true.

Is Florida not in America anymore then? It's one of the major holiday destinations for Brits nowadays.

I guess you don't realize the size of Florida.

I believe that most Germans appreciate their German "Brötchen" and "Vollkornbrot" for breakfast when they're abroad.

Hate to break it to you, but German bread sucks and so do whiny German in-laws that complain the whole vacation about why they don't sell German bread in the US. :P

I guess you don't realize the size of Florida.

Of course I do, I'm not American so I know some geography :P ,it's about half the size of Italy which is also full of Brits!

Must admit, I love Spain - the food, wine, and everything.. Defo my fave place.. But after a week of eating oily Spanish food with all that white bread, you can just feel the badness inside..

I don't think German bread is good either.

Best bread I know of is from better bakeries in the States.. Anybody know Panera, for ex? Even good supermarkets can have fantastic bread... Unbeatable bagles, baguettes, big loaves of flavorfull pumpernickel, etc.. Funny how a huge country like the US is assumed to have available exclusively watery beer and coffee, burgers and fries, and bland white bread... Must be TV. But really, assuming that kind of nonsense is like assuming all Germans wear Lederhosen, and all Brits tweed suits like Sherlock Holmes... Or keeping to food, that all Krauts eat Bratwurst every day..., and all Brits..., I don't know, scones...(we all know curry is more likely...)

We booked a holiday in Majorca in a German travel agent. The Spanish hotel waiter overheard us speaking English and was horrified that someone accidentally put us with the Germans for breakfast, and we should have been put with the English. We didn't mind and explained that we booked in Germany and knew which German bread to avoid.

In Britain there are always big discounts on holidays opening up some of the nicer resorts to some of the poorer British people. With their Dr. Scholl sandals and Tuesdays Daily Express and squirting Timothy Whites suncream all over their puffy raw swollen flesh cos they overdid it on the first day. And then you bump into some drunken greengrocer from Luton with an instamatic camera who drones on and on ... and on

With their Dr. Scholl sandals and Tuesdays Daily Express and squirting Timothy Whites suncream all over their puffy raw swollen flesh cos they overdid it on the first day. And then you bump into some drunken greengrocer from Luton with an instamatic camera who drones on and on ... and on

Its worse than that. A few years ago we were waiting rather a long time for our luggage at Ibiza airport (they had switched the luggage belts) and I became aware that the area next to me was occupied by a group just landed from Glasgow waiting for theirs. Most adults had obviously imbibed heavily on the flight (must say most Germans tend not to do that) and were pushing & shouting at their kids who were of course pretty miserable at the start of their holiday. Felt rather sad for them.

Sounds like all package tours suck. mlovett's idea is good if you know the language but there is also an alternative for those who do not want to do a farm stay or similar. Check out Servas as an example. It's a peace organization that connects travelers with hosts in nearly every country in the world. The hosts invariably always speak English and you learn so much about people and the host country. However, don't look at as a cheap way to travel (read:backpackers out to save money and go to clubs every night) as it requires you to engage with your hosts and learn about them and their culture.