Brit-free vacation destinations

217 posts in this topic

I was reading the Telegraph.UK site yesterday and found this article about where on the planet you can go to avoid Brits if you prefer a Brit-free vacation.

A recent Telegraph Travel poll indicated that 86 per cent of Britons prefer to deliberately avoid their fellow countrymen while on holiday.

I was surprised to see some of the places they listed, particularly Croatia, and don't believe you won't happen to find some brits in any of these places.

I'm doubtful that this survey is representative. If it was the case that 86 per cent of Britons deliberately avoided their fellow countrypeople you wouldn't get the usual high concentration of British tourists in certain foreign resorts. And if you go there, you'll find that the Brits happily drink their pints in "British" bars, enjoy British-style entertainment, visit fish&chip restaurants and listen to the music that they know from home. The proportion of Brits who would like to experience the "pure" foreign culture away from other fellow countrypeople is probably quite limited. And the proportion who would like to be surrounded by ANY nationality other than the Brits is likely to be even smaller. Because this means they probably have to bear with the sunbed-nicking Germans and the habits of other unfamiliar nationalities.

A flyfishing buddy of mine from the UK swears that (as the article mentions) Solvenia is the best place to vacation in Europe.

The proverbial elephant in the room as a Brit-free vacation destination is clearly ... drum roll ... Germany!

The proverbial elephant in the room as a Brit-free vacation destination is clearly ... drum roll ... Germany!

Yes, I was going to say that. I suspect Croatia comes in the "nice idea but will never get to the top of the list" category for a lot of people. And as for the first on that list, Moldova, well I know some great Moldovans (hard not to round here) but Europe's most poorest poorhouse is hardly going to appeal to most. And, as frieda says, the only way most of these places will ever get a lot of Brits (who apparently want to avoid other Brits) is if they start running in English (like Bulgaria's resorts do).

The one on the list I've been to, and would whole-heartedly recommend, is Japan. It's fabulous and I really don't know why more of us don't go. Best holiday I've had. The article is also spot on in that the oft-touted barrier (high cost) is 100% not true. Complete red-herring. It's a very reasonable place in terms of costs (assuming you don't want to deluxe top end stuff but that's expensive everywhere). (Edit - er sorry, also been to Romania, nothing like as good but it was still communist then).

Completely agreed on Japan. I spent a lot of time there. I'm a bit of a poor man's Tyler Brûlé when it comes to Japanophilia. I'm trying to build a business trip/family vacation around it for 2011 so that the kids can really appreciate it.

Also, I work with a british person in Frankfurt who took his family to the Canary Islands for a vacation, and when he told me where I was going, I almost said "watch it, that's a classic German resort destination" because my wife and kids went there once whilst I spent two months in Japan on business. However, I held my tongue. He came back and I braced myself to get an earful on how I didn't warn him, etc. etc., and instead he said they had a wonderful time because it had so many older, well-turned-out german couples there ("they actually dressed for dinner!"). He said the only snag was that the locals spoke more German than English, but the trip itself was a delight because it was "chav-free".

We finally resigned ourselves to the fact that if you want to take a cheap flight, or really any flight, to a vacation destination from Point A to Point V, you're going to find lots of denizens of Point A at your destination. Stands to reason. So if you take a flight from Germany to Mallorca, say, there are going to be tons of Germans there (though, thank god, no Americans.) I can't imagine flights from London are any different.

Brit-free vacation destination is clearly ... drum roll ... Germany!

Free of Brit Tourists/vacationers perhaps, but still full of Brit Expats..

We finally resigned ourselves to the fact that if you want to take a cheap flight, or really any flight, to a vacation destination from Point A to Point V, you're going to find lots of denizens of Point A at your destination. Stands to reason. So if you take a flight from Germany to Mallorca, say, there are going to be tons of Germans there (though, thank god, no Americans.) I can't imagine flights from London are any different.

yep. so simple yet so true. where the flights go, so too go the tourists. Einstein not needed to work that one out.

Maui: full off yanks and canucks

Mexico: full of yanks, canucks and brits,

Ibiza: full of brits and Krauts

Majorca: full of krauts and brits.

why? cos the flights go there. duh.

Ibiza: full of brits and Krauts

Thats where we are heading to in a few weeks...

Generally Ibiza airport seems to have more "Brits" than "Krauts" but the area & hotel we go to is 100% in German-speaking hands. As usual, we are looking forward to the 2 weeks :)

If I had the choice, I'd go for the "German" resort. Package tours offered by British organisers tend to involve hotels in which you have a British-only clientele, which means that the hotel-owners adapt entirely to the British demands - in terms of food (lot of chips and nasty white "toastbrot") as well as entertainment (karaoke, mums & tods disco...). The Germans tend to have different demands, in particular with respect to food, and they also tend to be mixed more easily with other nationalities.

A flyfishing buddy of mine from the UK swears that (as the article mentions) Solvenia is the best place to vacation in Europe.

It's quite, quite lovely - takes the € too and I'm sure there's a thread about it... here it is. Just don't go with my ex-bit of thing (unlikely to happen, but worth the mention, that I hold no grudge against Slovenia shows what a fine place it is).

The South Island of NZ should be added - it's packed to the gills with Germans. To. The. Gills.

Thumbs up to Japan from me too. The tourist office has a guide to doing it on the cheap with lots of great tips.

If I had the choice, I'd go for the "German" resort. Package tours offered by British organisers tend to involve hotels in which you have a British-only clientele, which means that the hotel-owners adapt entirely to the British demands - in terms of food (lot of chips and nasty white "toastbrot") as well as entertainment (karaoke, mums & tods disco...). The Germans tend to have different demands, in particular with respect to food, and they also tend to be mixed more easily with other nationalities.

Absolute nonsense. Booking a package tour with a German operator will in no way ensure that there will be no Brits there. My daughter went to Spain last year with a German tour company and the hotel was full of Brits as well as Germans.

I went to Majorca with my gf in November (a few years ago) and stayed in soller (north west bit of the island).

Totally Brit free time (except myself that is). In fact, we only saw 2 other Germans in the town.

You can also visit all the resorts over on the south east coast and see, yep, miles and miles of beaches... with maybe just the odd person walking their dog.

The resorts down on the south Wast (near Palma) tend to have more Germans/Brits but they tend to be the people who live there.

The weather in November is not too bad and most accommodation is really cheap. If you want a quiet Holiday with little hassle then it is ideal.

Absolute nonsense. Booking a package tour with a German operator will in no way ensure that there will be no Brits there. My daughter went to Spain last year with a German tour company and the hotel was full of Brits as well as Germans.

we booked our Mexico holiday through a German tour company (Tui). There was only one other "German" couple in the resort and they were from Switzerland but had just booked and travelled via Germany. The resort was full of Canadians and Brits.

the hotel-owners adapt entirely to the British demands - in terms of food (lot of chips and nasty white "toastbrot")

"Toastbrot"? British? No, "toastbrot" is the stale-at-point-of-sale equivalent of British bread. Not the same. Stop mixing languages.

The Germans tend to have different demands, in particular with respect to food

So, expect loads of "currywurst mit chips" then.

The Germans tend to have different demands, in particular with respect to food

At least they don't eat baked beans with everything*

So, expect loads of "currywurst mit chips" then.

As written above we go to a German-only-speaking hotel on Ibiza and luckily I have never seen a Currywurst there and a GREAT featrure is that they serve Kartoffeln in so many variants that the dreadded Pommes come only once per week. Whether the hoards of kids appreciate this is another matter...

*I am partial to a plate of beans-on-toast with bacon etc (as are my Germanic family) but not ALL the time...

Hmmm... we drove to Trieste, took a ferry to Durres and spent 3 weeks driving through Albania, Macedonia & Northern Greece. Didn't see too many Brits.

Or many other tourists from ANY country, for that matter...