Tips for visiting London

193 posts in this topic

@ jordigo

Yes, Windsor castle is not inside of London, but its not that far, a train from Waterloo, and 30 minutes your there, and its actually (if the weather holds out) a nice afternoon, looking around Windsor Castle, nice walk along the river thames, actually quite romantic, but hey that's just me, a part of a dying breed, the male romantic's.

Hampton Court Palace is also quite nice, again if the weather is there, not directly in London, but still classed as Greater London.

Ahh... shows, yep have to agree Phanton is good, last time I was in London though (last easter) saw My Fair Lady, and that was also pretty good. Want to see something I have not see this time, which is going to be hard !

Hi all,

My flight to London last night was canceled and the only flight they could offer me was Sat. afternoon (crappy Eastjet), but I would be coming back Sunday evening. So just asked for my money back and will go a different weekend.

Too bad though. I was looking forward to it. I was all pumped up after listening to my Coldplay and Beatles CDs! Ha!

Thanks for all of your suggestions! I think I may try and go to London in April instead. So I'll keep all of them in mind when I go then.

My friend bought tickets for us to see Jerry Springer the Opera tonight, but obviously I can't go. Too bad.

Melissa

that's a real shame, but looking at the news it seems the weather in London is even worse than in Munich, unbelievably. Perhaps a lucky escape, being trapped in Heathrow for a couple of days would take the edge of any enthusiasm you might have for london I think!

London covered in snow

@ Brummie

Its not true, I spoke to my sister last night, who live only a stones throw from Heathrow, and she told me there was about 5 cm of snow.

The problem is, some parts of England get snow so rarely, they just don't know how to cope with it when it does not. Apparently they were not expecting it at all in the southern parts of England !

Hello!!!

London is fine. Problems now are the high winds arriving that will shutdown the airports. Not sure when I will fly back now, the weekend is not looking good.

Standstead shut on Wednesday and had a large back log on Thursday causign lots of problems, but normality is resuming - I even took a tube from Baker St to Harrow last night (late)

There was never 5cm of snow near heathrow (thats where I am hoteling right now) Maybe 2cm if you were lucky. The major road problems were caused by this sequence of events

They gritted Tuesday night

The Snow came

It warmed up, melted snow, washed away grit

It snowed again

It froze leaving ice everywhere.

So why couldnt they grit between snow showers??

P

I'm supposed to be flying into Heathrow on Monday, but everything is back to normal then, and they have caught up on everything.

I got my flights free from Lufthansa as I had enough points on my card, and if they are going to change anyone, it will be the freeloaders first ! But hear the weather will be nice and sunny here in Munich this weekend, and hope that's also the case in England.

I am going to be in London for 30 hours this weekend (first time in England actually), from roughly midday saturday till sunday evening. I have had a good surf already, printed out some maps, picked out some nice touristy and food related things to do, but still have a few questions:

Regarding the evenings, am I likely to find pubs and clubs to keep me entertained all night? I was not thinking of finding a hotel, as why waste precious time in an exciting city asleep, but I have heard that there are laws limiting closing times etc. I am just after somewhere to drink or dance or yarn to people till breakfast time basically.

What pubs do all the kiwis hang out at? I figure I may as well see if I can bump into someone I know, I heard theres lots of us in London. Also what tube station is closest to the area with all the pubs where kiwis might go. And if things do close up for a few hours overnight, I should be able to suss me a couch to crash on from some of my fellow kiwis.

If it turns out that everything does shut, and poor Kza is left wandering the streets, where are the cheap (ok relativley speaking, I dont expect to find anything cheap) hotels or backpackers that I might be able to find a room in at short notice. Everything in the center city or would it be worth having a look out in the burbs?

Any other tips? So far I am thinking of checking out London Museum, Buckingham Palace, Tower of London, Parliament Buildings and Westminster Abbey and eating curry, fish and chips, and having a sunday roast.

I assume all the museums are open on Sundays no worries?

Ok I think that should cover everything, Im getting a bit nervous actually, I have never been in such a big city by myself before.

Clubs will be open to 6am, and Kiwis or not, if you meet the right people (you know the sort I mean), you'll be invited on for an after party. I'll write more later - not sure on best place for Kiwis - anyone? Still Earls Court?

Oh, and EVERYTHING is open on Sundays. You flying in? To Stansted?

OK, so from Stansted it's the train into Liverpool St. and then a tube to wherever you wanna be - ur not far from the Tower of London there - Buck Palace is near either Victoria or Green Park. Cheap B&Bs are all over the place - but 40 pounds should secure you a private room for the night in Victoria (to the South of the station by about 1/2 mile).

Parliament and Buck Palace - I assume both are open to visitors - tho Parliament is not always - I think the MPs are on holiday by now though so you should be OK on that front - though it's not that exciting to be honest. London Musuem? Or British Musuem? Go to the British Musuem, but it's huge - it'll take ages to see all that. Buck Palace I think you need to book online, and I wouldn't bother - I'd go to the Millennium wheel London eye thing and go on there - also only 30mins needed and some great views of London (must also pre-book tho - Google BA London Eye).

For curry, and if ur brave enuff (it is a wee bit rough here) Brick Lane nr. Liv. St. station is the best place - failing that, but expensive, Veerswarmy on Swallow St. W1 is the oldest curry house in England and VERY good.

Nightlife is all over the place, but Covent Garden and Soho are great - Soho probably has some DnB nites on - go look at www.ukbassline.co.uk and ask on their board if there's a night on anywhere.

Right - that's it for now - I'll try and think of more and post later.

Excellent, that exactly the sort of info I was after Jimbo. Thanks a lot. Yes I did mean British Museum.

@Gideon, I dont have the info on hand, but I believe I leave Salzburg at around 9:55am tomorrow morning and arrive at Stansted 11 something. What will you be getting up to over there?

Hostel wise, try these people

http://www.st-christophers.co.uk/london_hostel/london.htm

Beds available in dorms from 19 squid!

Find yourslef a walkabout bar and you should be ok to find a kiwi or two, go to covent garden and you will find oen serving you behind the bar.

Prepare yourself for how expenseive London is, but have fun! Find free stuff to do - walk along the southside of the thames from Tower Bridge to Parliment. Great view and lots to seee!

P

ahhh i've some business on monday in town, and i'm staying with my bro. i'm flying from munich thou.

i stayed with st christophers in Edinurgh and if the one in London is only half as good, I'd definitely recommend it.

Camden is also not too bad to stay, not really citycentre but still easy to reach on the northern line. And camden market is really nice too.

Excellent, thanks for all your suggestions and info, I did book a dorm bed in st. christophers southwark, which is good to have, even just to use the shower and store my bag. Much cheaper than I anticipated too.

Looks like I will have much less time than I thought to see everything I wanted, so I am going to concentrate on British Museum and London Eye, and just wandering around and eating.

Two remaining questions: Does the tube run regularly all night or stop like it does in Munich? and Is the beer really warm over there?