TÜV - car technical and safety inspection info

103 posts in this topic

I always thought the month that the inspection is due was where the two thick bars on the stickers were. But no, thats always twelve and the actual due month is this month - of course just when I have a whole pile of other stuff to sort out. So I want to run a few questions past the collective genius of TT.

How much does the TÜV cost?

How long does it take?

Are some places more likely to find things that "need" fixing than others, i.e. could the place that changes my winter tires have any advantages or disadvantages over taking it to Audi?

Any other tips?

I would highly recommend Henke und Liebel or something like that. They have so much work that they won't invent stuff to be done. They will do a preinspection for about 78€ and then the TÜV is normal costs. These guys are good! They are in Munich-Moosach and 5 minutes walk to the S-Bahn or tram.

There are three main companies that do it.

TÜV for one.

These are basically the costs:

Hauptuntersuchung: ca 45€

Abgasuntersuchung: ca 25-40 €

Eintragung nach §19: ca 45€

Eintragung nach §21: ca ab 50€

They are quite standard for the various areas. If you go to Farmer Joe's tractor and car shop, you might get a better deal, but you are likely to take your Audi in and leave with a John Deer.

There is also DEKRA and GTÜ.

Why would you want to do a pre-inspection? - it's waste of money. Take your motor to a smaller garage/Werkstatt (most filling stations have them) who get weekly visits from the TÜV man. IF it fails the test they usually pass it on condition that the repairs are done and stick on the stickers. The garage then does everything required before handing it back to you. In essence, the TÜV has done the pre-inspection included in the price. Only if something really serious is wrong will you need a re-TÜV, which is done at reduced price, in which case the pre-inspection was the first TÜV in any case.. So long as you trust the garage, very few rip you off, and most are very professional with reasonable prices. Being a died-in-the wool BMW driver, I will never go near a BMW garage again for servicing and repairs. My local chap round the corner does it better, cheaper, and faster. Even my (now sadly departed) 750iL never fazed him...

Don't forget - when the TÜV is due the ASU (emission control) us usually due too...

YL6

Actually, I do the preinspection more for the upkeep of the car than for the TÜV. In the states, you get it for free, but here sadly you have to pay for it.

Have we not discussed this once before? I feel like I wrote this once sometime in the past.

I'ld go to A.T.U. if you have one near you.

Used them both for an old banger (Peugeot 405) and a new car (Opel Zafira) and found the service and the prices good. That being said I only used the one in Landsberg. Significantly cheaper than the Opel or Peugeot garages, even when using standard Opel or Peugeot parts.

post-16-1118815335.jpg

Hmm thanks a lot for the tips. Im not in Munich so I arent really looking for any specific garages. Is it a while I wait kind of thing? Can I do it in less than an hour on my way to work? Or is it more of a drop off in the morning, pick up in the evening type thing?

If you go somewhere where they give you an appointment at a specific time then yes, you can get it done in around an hour (if that) whilst you wait

These are basically the costs:

Hauptuntersuchung: ca 45€

Abgasuntersuchung: ca 25-40 €

Eintragung nach §19: ca 45€

Eintragung nach §21: ca ab 50€

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

so a TÜV could set me back about €200!!!

I usually get the preinspection and the TÜV for about €150ish without any extra work needed.

It depends on what shape your car is in, i.e. if you expect it needs work or not.

I always take mine directly to the dealer, TÜV comes round every day there and they charge only the TÜV fee, while I use the opportunity to have some maintenance work done such as oil change, check/fill the level of all fluids etc.

Thats the thing... The cars got 204000 ks, loses oil... Im actually worried about the emissions test, as it burns oil. It could make my taxes go a lot higher or it could even theoretically not get the emissions certificate. Oh well... Might take it in somewhere on monday..

If you're worried about passing the emissions test, just stick a tin of injector cleaner in the tank with a load of shell optimax. Your exhaust will be (temporarily) cleaner than a nun's knickers - on a sunday.

anyone know the opening times of the TÜV place in Munich-Westend? I can't find a link for it. I know that there's one day they're actually open later (wow) but can't remember which day it is.

Moonboot, loads of other places can do your TÜV. no need to go to the TÜV office - have a look for a garage near your gaff or your work

I just need to get the address on my Fahrzeugbrief updated...don't I need to go to TUV for that?

Moonboot, aye you have to go to the KFZ-Zulassungsstelle to do that, nothing to do with the TÜV just happens to be in the same street!, eichstätterstr near westendstr u-bahn. make sure you have your documents ready here. You can also go to the Bürgerbüros to do this.