Berlin S-Bahn chaos set to continue

245 posts in this topic

What's going to happen after the Bundestagswahl?

The S Bahn in Berlin is still not going to be working?

Monkstown, You will probably be able to buy shares in Bundesregierung AG. Or at least some form of non-collateralized marketable derivative of the Bundestag. ;-)

:lol:

That's quite a brilliant idea! Let's take it further as a project. PM me.

Except when one wants to travel fom Berlin-Altglienicke to Grunewald. 2 hours by bike and over 30 kms. I bet that person gives a toss!

who gives a toss? Don't you people have bikes?

Probably the 1.3 million people (including the cyclists) who use the network.

Speaking of cyclists: it's starting to get uncomfortable for them on the trains now-this morning a couple of people had a good go at one of them. Don't they read the papers/see the news/or even hear the announcements every few minutes on the platform telling them NO BIKE ALLOWED during this mess-human beings need priority on the limited space available on all modes!

Whilst travelling through the centre of Berlin on the S2 a couple of times today, I was surprised how quiet the platforms at e.g. Friedrichstrasse and Potsdamer Platz were. Obviously there wasn't the usual large numbers changing from the Ostbahnhof to Zoo lines. But then when you hit The Ring either side - wham! That's where everybody was ending up!

To be fair to BVG, the journey planning software on their website seems to be up-to-date with the situation, and will recommend the additional replacement RE trains, buses, and trams.

I pity the poor tourists, especially the green ones with only a network map and a rudimentary grasp of German. It might be a valid money-earner to take a laptop to an internet hot-spot at a central station and use the BVG website to give advice to flustered English-speaking tourists :)

who gives a toss? Don't you people have bikes?

Not everyone is a hippie.

It might be a valid money-earner to take a laptop to an internet hot-spot at a central station and use the BVG website to give advice to flustered English-speaking tourists

Brilliant idea, Serenissima! I have too much time on my hands AND a laptop! I could give REAL advice to the tourists I like (i.e. cute Eastern European chix) and crap advice to tourists from say, ENGLAND!! (just kidding, guv!). B)

db

I know you're really kidding friend, but don't think I haven't been tempted to 'help' tourists myself with a bit of helpful insight (Neu Wache? Oh yeah, that was built for Old Fritz as a wash-house so he could have a bath immediately before appearing at ceremonies on Unter den Linden).

Hey bikers, how close you are to the point but without actually getting it! If you look seriously at the Deutsche Bahn "Call a Bike" service ( http://www.deutschebahn.com/site/bahn/en/t.../callabike.html ) maybe you will now realize the whole objective of DB may be to run down the DB and the S-Bahn to such a pathetic level of service and non-safety that all you will be left with in the end is DB Call a Bike. (Slowly they take away a small slice at a time of your Wurst until soon all you have is the string and they have all the Wurst.) Take a DB InterCity Bike on your next trip to Munich!

I don't mind taking a bike from Alex to Zoo, but spare me the idea that this is suitable for the "Zug von Millionen..." of tourists and citizens who simply wish to get to work easily and dependably. ("Seht, wie der Zug von Millionen/Endlos aus Nächtigem quillt./Bis euer Sehnsucht Verlangen/ Himmel und Nacht überschwillt.")

No, I am not really a "Comrade" as such, actually reasonably middle of the road in most respects, but this all is pushing me to the point that I want to cry about that the privatization kleptocracy has done to us and the vital national patrimony. :(

<<Hey bikers, how close you are to the point but without actually getting it!>>

What are you talking about? The Call a Bike service is great and I think more people should take advantage of it. The point of the service is to take quick, short trips within zones A&B, DB doesn't suggest you ride to Munich. In fact, you shouldn't take one outside of the Ring. A trip yesterday from Alexanderplatz to Potsdamer Platz cost me 86 euro cents, a price neither BVG nor a taxi can compete with. I am an occasional user in Berlin, but have also used the service in Cologne, Hamburg and Munich. All of my visitors think the service is great, you just have to figure out how to use it.

The Call a Bike service is great and I think more people should take advantage of it. The point of the service is to take quick, short trips within zones A&B, DB doesn't suggest you ride to Munich. In fact, you shouldn't take one outside of the Ring. A trip yesterday from Alexanderplatz to Potsdamer Platz cost me 86 euro cents, a price neither BVG nor a taxi can compete with. I am an occasional user in Berlin, but have also used the service in Cologne, Hamburg and Munich. All of my visitors think the service is great, you just have to figure out how to use it.

You've sold me! Do you have any advice on what you have found out about how to use the service please?

Hmm, I had a pretty fast journey from NK (sonnenallee) to Hbf this morning thanks to an S-Bahn train from Stuttgart (they are operating a special shuttle Suedkreuz-Potsdamer Platz-Hbf (low level)-Gesundbrunnen that really is ideal and should maybe run all the time!)-was quite surreal seeing S-Bahns from Stuttgart and Munich side by side in Suedkreuz! The driver even had a really strong Schwabisch accent to boot. The BVG website lists it as an S21 with the DB logo rather than the S logo! How stange-I was expecting a RE type train, not one from Baden Wuertemberg but it's all good!

Yup, exactly the reason-Berlin's legacy system uses the 3rd rail (I think only Hamburg has the same 'issue' with its SBahn).

Makes me wonder why SBahn berlin doesn't buy a couple of units to keep this shuttle in play all the time until the Pilzkonzept can be fully delivered (many years from now!). If possible I always take an RE from SK to Hbf as it's so fast that way.

Article (in German): http://www.tagesspiegel.de/berlin/Berliner...;art270,2853810

I guess the Stuttgart and Munich trains use the overhead catenaries rather than the third rail, which is why they're running them through Hbf rather than Friedrichstrasse?

Does not make any difference. They are using the S-Bahn Netz. NONE of Berlins S-Bahn Netz has overhead power. Where do you think they are going to fit the pylons in the tunnels, which are only centemeters above the train roof?

IF they are using overhead, then they are using the IC, or IR lines. which, as IC and RE are not effected by the faults would make no sense.

Okay, I'm drawing conclusions from across the ocean, but if the Stuttgart/Munich S-Bahn trains are stopping in Hauptbahnhof tief, they're not taking the north-south S-bahn line, which runs through Friedrichstrasse. (Also, the other stops--Suedkreuz, Potsdamer Platz and Gesundbrunnen--all have IC/RE stations.) My guess as to why they needed the out-of-town S-bahns to do this is that they've already increased the number of REs on the East-West stadtbahn to carry some of the people who would have taken the now-missing S-bahns, but they also want to run more trains between Suedkreuz and Gesundbrunnen to make up for the reduced north-south S-bahn service (I believe the S1/S2/S25 is still running, but not as frequently as before), and don't have any extra regional trains left.

ETA: here's another article (in German again) detailing that they are in fact using the long-distance lines and not the S-Bahn lines: http://www.tagesspiegel.de/berlin/Verkehr-...rt18614,2852827

Okay, I'm drawing conclusions from across the ocean, but if the Stuttgart/Munich S-Bahn trains are stopping in Hauptbahnhof tief, they're not taking the north-south S-bahn line, which runs through Friedrichstrasse.

You HAVE read the link? http://www.tagesspiegel.de/berlin/Berliner...;art270,2853810

Die Stuttgarterin steuert eine in München ausgeliehene S-Bahn durch den Berliner Nord-Süd-Tunnel in Richtung Südkreuz.

Interesting, in your link the train in the phot is indeed over head powered. This means they can not use the S-Bahn lines.

As you say they must just be takinmg the preasure off the R.E.

BUT that means the first link is wrong.

UNLESS they have two different types of trains. One third rail for the tunnels, and one overhead for the main stretch.

Must go and look on Saturday.