Berlin S-Bahn chaos set to continue

245 posts in this topic

They plan to resume, 'normal service', in... wait for it... December!!!

Actually i've been hearing "2 years" from the rumour mill, direction testing workshop...

This crazy situation makes me so mad, and I don't even use the S-Bahn regularly. I feel bad for anyone visiting Berlin this summer. We, as locals, can find our way around and know of alternative routes, but tourists won't stand a chance!

It's bloody embarrassing. :(

''I wonder how long the S-bahn between Ostbahnhof and Zoo will remain out of action?''

they said at least 2,5 weeks but I think more than that...

RE 1 will operate between ostbahnhof and potsdam, from 6 am to 8 pm ... no bikes allowed :-/

serissima, you can't as far as I'm aware. I posted the news articles this morning as a separate thread - because they have a good map and lots more - with better title (maybe). It'll prolly get combined.

I tried to get the sbahn home from work at bahnhof zoo on friday night and it was absolutely chaotic. drunk german jungs punching the glass of the conductor's booth, yelling, screaming, madness. Say what you want about the trains, but I do feel a little bit for the station staff.

S-Bahn trains may be out between Ostbahnhof and Zoo, but you can use the regional trains, though they aren't as frequent as the S-bahn and don't stop at every stop, but it's better than nothing - and as far as I know there is no problem taking bikes on board.

all east west trains (S Bahn) are officially cancelled between zoo and ostkreuz according to the radio.. only 1/3 of all berlin S bahns are running... in all seriousness if DB dosent want a damn serious incedent on their hands they need to rectify this problem fast...

Blue, there is no "fast".

Despite pulling in staff and equipment, there is simply too much to do.

The implications of all this?

Big, not just in Berlin but Europe wide.

Bearing in mind the accident the other week in Italy.

Why should we privatise the railway?

What are the benefits or negatives of a private railway?

What is the balance between an operator and the regulator?

Man I cannot wait for when the berliners start to burn things...its gonna be awesome. Petrol is your friend!"

That might be a nice motive for the German's blinddogswhale in September.

What is the result of the privatisation of basic public services?

Stalking the Berlin public transport threads again I see. :rolleyes:

Did anyone invite you to bring your soap box along and hijack the thread? :ph34r:

So not cool.

Stalking the Berlin public transport threads again I see. rolleyes.gif

Did anyone invite you to bring your soap box along and hijack the thread? ph34r.gif

So not cool.

err who?

Blue, there is no "fast".

Despite pulling in staff and equipment, there is simply too much to do.

The implications of all this?

Big, not just in Berlin but Europe wide.

Bearing in mind the accident the other week in Italy.

Why should we privatise the railway?

What are the benefits or negatives of a private railway?

What is the balance between an operator and the regulator?

your right i just hope things get back to normal or at least as best as can be expected... And seriously i think if S Bahn cannot do the job then maybe another private provider can... I heard this morning there are 2 or so that have vested an interest?...

When it gets to the point that the Demokratik Republik of KreüzKölln decides to start burning things in protest.. then watch out... hahahahaha (after all they protest every other damn thing why not this...)

Sure there are other companies that would love the Berlin S Bahn Contract.

Hamburg's public transporter Hochbahn has exprssed a clear intention.

The BVG may be interested perhaps and I dare say Arriva.

Arriva are facing similar but smaller scale issues with train safety testing on local rail in Brandenburg though the key difference is they weren't caught lying to the Bundesamt.

DB has fucked up big time on the Berlin S-Bahn and at best they are on a final chance.

I think they should let the contract run though and objectively view bids when it is up for renewl

The balance bewteen operators and regulators is always moving.

Right now the regulator is getting tougher; that has clear implications for profitability and questions how public transport should be organised.

DB were getting ready to hit the stock market when the joke that is our monetary system slipped and fractured it's spine. For the last number of years the company attempted to encourage an atmosphere of fear and loathing within it's staff. Why? The older more experienced staff were forced out on all levels.

The amoral generation of managers who arrived or who had always been averse to expert opinion arrived to offer up a lean DB which would get the share price they needed for their bonus and a chance of holding onto the great, 'job'. Even the staff on the trains became nasty and very quick to throw the rule book about. There were instances of throwing kids out at stations in the middle of nowhere from intercity trains that their parents had booked them onto with slightly wrong tickets. I digress. The whole situation has been one crash after another in many senses.

This proves the greed of the private system when it comes to the situation where the the capital of Germany so admired for Vorsprung durch Technik is sitting red faced looking at itself in the mirror as it's public transport system fails in the peak tourist season. It fails before the much pushed and advertised International athletics meeting in the eyes of the world. It fails before the start of the football season. It fails because of the stupidity of management based on greed.

So what is the solution? I'm sure they'll work it out amongst the money men. If you want to see what the private sector does to a TAX payer built network try getting a train from Scotland to London sometime. Pack a wallet and large sense of irony for the journey.

DB were getting ready to hit the stock market when the joke that is our monetary system slipped and fractured it's spine. For the last number of years the company attempted to encourage an atmosphere of fear and loathing within it's staff. Why? The older more experienced staff were forced out on all levels.

The amoral generation of managers who arrived or who had always been averse to expert opinion arrived to offer up a lean DB which would get the share price they needed for their bonus and a chance of holding onto the great, 'job'. Even the staff on the trains became nasty and very quick to throw the rule book about. There were instances of throwing kids out at stations in the middle of nowhere from intercity trains that their parents had booked them onto with slightly wrong tickets. I digress. The whole situation has been one crash after another in many senses.

This proves the greed of the private system when it comes to the situation where the the capital of Germany so admired for Vorsprung durch Technik is sitting red faced looking at itself in the mirror as it's public transport system fails in the peak tourist season. It fails before the much pushed and advertised International athletics meeting in the eyes of the world. It fails before the start of the football season. It fails because of the stupidity of management based on greed.

So what is the solution? I'm sure they'll work it out amongst the money men. If you want to see what the private sector does to a TAX payer built network try getting a train from Scotland to London sometime. Pack a wallet and large sense of irony for the journey.

Quite right!!! that about sums it up Hal... Greed in its purest form... ;)

Hal has it precisely right, and Blue says it in one word -- greed. One only needs to see what DB management -- under Hartmut Mehdorn -- did to the DB across the country in their planned 'get rich quick' scheme to go to privatization.. Where once each small town had a train station that was in effect a small economic center providing employment, a safe place to meet and an integral part of a social institution that contributed to a national social integration and sense of national community, they have left run down buildings in shambles. All this was to cut costs, do 'window dressing' for the planned share price, and add to the cash available to pay out huge bonuses upon privatization. (Not to mention to pay millions of Euros to the brilliant financial advisers so they could invest in worthless US and UK 'securities' and similar 'sure investments' such as 'collateralized debt obligations' and 'credit default swaps' -- all fraudulent schemes of monetary manipulation.) Then they turned to extracting as much cash as they could out of subsidiaries, such as the S-Bahn, which of course can be done by taking away the cash reserves that were there to cover careful maintenance, rolling stock replacement, asset preservation, and then they engaged in reductions in older and experienced- professional staff to cut costs as well. This is a national tragedy, and a real tragedy for Berlin itself. The S-Bahn was a beautifully engineered system, so well thought out, built and run that it took WWII and the 1961 erection of the Wall to shut it down; at least it was then resilient enough to 'bounce back'. Now Mr. Mehdorn, DB and the management may have irreparably damaged it. Someone should look seriously at Sections 266 and 305 of the StGB about prosecuting these commercial / financial vandals.

If one needed any clear proof that privatization of valuable national assets is a corrupt and bankrupt concept, this current S-Bahn tragedy is ample evidence. As usual, the profits go to the private sector, the losses and costs to the taxpayer and common citizen. This is an equation that will never work.

You go there Comrade Rob! :D

What's going to happen after the Bundestagswahl?

Anyone confident there's going to be a government not ideologically committed to further privatisation?

Monkstown, You will probably be able to buy shares in Bundesregierung AG. ;) Or at least some form of non-collateralized marketable derivative of the Bundestag. ;-)