Berlin S-Bahn chaos set to continue

245 posts in this topic

That won't work - they all have 5-day passes as part of their convention package (at least that's what I read in this morning's paper).

On the bright side, if you ever wanted to manhandle some Jehovah's Witnesses, some 50,000 of them are in town attending a convention at the Olympic Stadium from tomorrow through Sunday, and all of them are expected to take public transport. Those packed trains should be a perfect opportunity for some "oops, sorry I fell on you - lost my balance".

I wonder if Prince will be there?

It is due to last until September becuas eof the sheeer number of trains that need to bes tested.

That is despite borrowing in extra staff and extra equipment.

The Jehovah's Witnesses are wearing blue and white badges with the word, 'Watch', on it. I've been having a laugh walking past them and saying, 'WATCH IT!'

It is fun watching them however.

Somehow I think I'm glad I'm not in Berlin at the moment.

I travelled all day on the S-Bahn yesterday. No problems. Night services are cut. But during the day, unless you wish to go somewhere exotic like... na sagen wir... Zeuthen or Königs Wusterhausen or somewhere, then they seem to be O.K.

But then, who the HEL wants to go to Königs Wusterhausen???

It is fun watching them however.

Hmm. I suggest you get out more. Try viewing the "Meetings and events" thread here.

On the bright side, if you ever wanted to manhandle some Jehovah's Witnesses, some 50,000 of them are in town attending a convention at the Olympic Stadium from tomorrow through Sunday,

I wonder if the red cross will have there nnormal blood donation stand there?

Hmm. I suggest you get out more. Try viewing the "Meetings and events" thread here.

Hmm... tends to be a lot of complaining over beer sorts there and people so boring that they are invisible on CCTV. I can do that online. ;)

Hmm... tends to be a lot of complaining over beer sorts there and people so boring that they are invisible on CCTV. I can do that online.

My Arab neighbor attempted to kick my door in because I was cooking too loudly with the BBC World service on the radio.

I was beaten up and robbed by three Roma gents in Kreutzberg which has left me with headaches, a fucked up face and looking at a artificial knee replacement.

My bike has been stolen three times.

My girlfriend has been called a hoar at least ten times on public transport if not more she hasn’t told me about.

A fucked up German glue-head teen pulled a knife on me on the M1 which I repelled.

I was followed by Roma round Pariser Platz and spat on for not giving money. This happens a few times a week.

I was kicked from my bike by young Turkish gents who were coming out of their Govt. funded Kick Boxing class and didn’t like me ringing the bell to clear the cycle path.

I was threatened for kissing my girlfriend goodbye in the street.

I was threatened with death by an Arab on my street.

A car full of Turkish joyriders nearly killed me as they were chased by police.

A skinhead set his dog on me for a laugh.

HAL9000 will clearly never turn up in person to any meet up's as its much safe for him to hide behind his Keyboard obviously :rolleyes:

So to get back on track. The safety authorities have ordered Berlin S-Bahn to pull more trains from the plans. From Monday the lines between Zoo and Ostbahnhof are GONE! The U-Bahn will try and compensate with longer trains and the BVG are kicking in with more busses. This is according to Radio 1 an hour ago. Lets look forward to a long hot sticky summer of madness. Sorry I don't have any better news except the Ring Bahn will still be running as expected yet bringing your bike on board will NOT be tolerated according to the website.

Was talking to a supervisor from the S-Bahn workshops yesterday. They have a more serious problem according to him. IF they want to keep to this target of checking trains weekly, they need a quarter more trains, and to nearly DOUBLE the engineering staff, just to keep ROUGHLY to the normal timetable.

If they do not get the extra trains, and staff, (which have to be BUILT and trained first, even IF they get the approval) this chaos will last until they end the weekly inspections.

And this only applied IF none of the trains actualy need any repairs as a result of the checks. :blink:

So we can expect to increase the price of the monthly car again? Damn, if I remember correctly the price has almost doubled in the last 10 years.

Well apparently if you have a monthly card you can apply for compo. It's going to be a nightmare and I'm just glad I got my bike fixed up last week. Welcome to Berlin twinned with Beijing.

Welcome to Berlin twinned with Beijing.

No. Mores the pity. In Peking, heads would LITERALY be rolling by now. Even if the trains are not.

Well apparently if you have a monthly card you can apply for compo.

Do you have any details on how you can claim for compensation? And if you have an annual card, can you claim for each month the disruption continues? (wishful thinking on my part, I know!)

I wonder how long the S-bahn between Ostbahnhof andZoo will remain out of action?

This will cause major problems especially with the World Athlethics on in August. Maybe they will try to get something better going by then... alway the optimist that I am!

What about if one has a bicycle ticket ( 8 euro/month) and they asking people not to travel with bikes on train, does one get compo back for that? I could not see anthting on the website...